Heavy Fishing Sinker weight - What size Fishing Rod are you using for this?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by brinley45cal, Mar 10, 2006.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I read all the time on here of folks using alot of heavy weight like 6 or more ounces.My question is what kind of rod are you using for all that weight?Most rods say about 3 or 4 ounces.

2. hammerhead

hammerhead New Member

State:
    Henderson,KY
    I generally use a medium heavy rod, and most of the time I use about 3-5 ounce wieghts. But the people I know that use those bigger weights usually have heavy action 12' river rods.

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I sometimes fish with an 8 oz "no roll" sinker with a 7 foot heavy boat pole. However I'm not trying to win a casting contest with that setup either. Just have to know your equipment's limitations.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use a quantum bigcat heavy action for casting weights of 8-oz, or an ugly stik tiger medium heavy...For weight up to 6-oz I use a quantum bigcat medium heavy...I can throw 5-oz weights with just my ugly stik catfish rods....I have thrown 16-oz of weight with my quantum bigcat heavys..My rods are 7ft 6 inces..You wont get great distances with these rods and weights, but I dont need to cast over 40yds.

5. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    And the purpose of tossing out that much weight is? i usually use 1 - 1 1/2 oz, i now have up to 3 oz of weight not sure my rods will handle it or not.. i have 3 ugly stiks med heavy 1 piece 1)mitchell 300x reel 2) brand new 6600 abu d5 3) rhino reel RSC5 has a switch to go direct drive (that's the wifes rod) she's spooled with 20 #

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    The purpose of sing large weights is to hold your bait in the current of larger or swift moving rivers!!! I fish the Kansas and Missouri rivers and find Myself using upto 16 oz of weight. If you can't hold your bait where You want it how many fish can You really expect to catch?

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dont we all wish 1-2 oz weights would hold. ;) Man, sometimes I have 3 or 4 5-6 oz weights together & STILL cant get it to hold.

8. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Now that's a lot of weight. If I can't get an 8 to stick, it's time to move to a different area. Try to find an eddy or something.

9. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    I guess i need to have bigger bait on my line to fish with.. That makes since the bigger the bait the bigger the weight the bigger the fish the bigger boat.. lol ok getting carried away!!! thanks guys!!! rep points for ya.. kenny

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thats my thoughts exactly.My lord if i have to tie a bowlling ball to my line to keep it on the bottom im finding somewhere else to fish.

11. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Some or most rods have a listed "Lure Weight" listed on them or SHOULD. I use 10ft Surf Spin on the Ohio River and tight-line. My 5 rods have the "Lure Weight" listed @ 2-6 oz & 2-8 oz. Don't go by the action alone from what I've seen so far or you may be sorry if you know how much weights you will be tossin guys. I normally need/prefer 5-6 oz and may go up to 8 oz if needed. That along with a whole 11 inch dead cut bait is alot of weight. The 2-6 oz rods do NOT handel that very well but I am happier with the 2-8 oz lure weight rods.

From what I've read is that a 2-8 oz rod DESIGNED to cast those weights has a "Sweet Spot" of about 6 oz where it casts its best. From what I've seen so far the higher "Lure Weight" rods are alot more $$$$$$ than I'ma willin to spend right now. The longer length rod butts are a big big help when casting 10 oz or more over the standards too!! ;)

If you don't have a proper lure weight rod its kinda like "PUSHIN a CHAIN" when castin heavier weights, lol ! I,ve seen rods listed @ heavy action and only have a "lure wieght" of 1-3 oz, not good for me.

12. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    When I need to throw 6-8oz of weight I use a heavy action 8ft St Croix Clasic Cat rod. There are two reasons I need to throw that much weight sometimes. When the TVA is letting water out at the dam at 100,000cfs+ or when the bait I'm using can drag a smaller sinker around. Alot of my fishing is done close to rip rap so I need my bait to stay put. I've used bluegills that have drug a 2oz sinker far enough to get inbetween the rocks where they were safe from the flats I was after. Most of the time I use 3-5 oz sinkers but will go to the larger ones when bait or water conditions call for it.

13. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i just bought a couple of 12 foot ugly sticks that are rated for 24 ounces. i dont think i'll ever need to throw anything heavier than that.

14. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    A friend of mine drilled out a notch at the bottom of his larger bank sinker mold. He doubles up two # 12 copper wires,(I believe that was the size), and inserts them into the hole before doing a pour. After the casting comes out he only has to bend the wires into a snag anchor type shape. Thinking of doing that with my mold also. Weight holds really good and if the wires snag,they bend straight to release it.I finally lost the ones he gave me last year,and since he lives back in Ct. I ca'nt get more from him. I have seen similar ones in catalogs but have never come across a mold pre-made for them.I believe they were originally made for surf casting. As long as the weight gets to the bottom the wires do the rest of the job for holding power.
    Seems that it keeps slipping my mind when I get back home.:hmm-big:
    Maybe do that today.

BILL

15. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    If I have a problem with my bait holding in a spot I reposition my boat, most of the time that will help so I don't have to use so much weight, but it does not always work, depending on current.

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I use 5 to 8 ounces on a 15' surf rod with an Abu BG 7000 HS. I have to have that much pole to chunk the bait the distance needed to get to the fish (at tailwaters of a dam). Then, once you get the bait there, you have to hold it. Sometimes I wish I could lob bigger weights, especially when you see how fast 8 ounces can go down river. Normally fish two rods at the Corp of Engineer lakes. When I fish a normal impoundment, I use up to 7 rods...my 3 15' rods, two 14' rods, two 10' rods, and carry two extra 7 footers in case needed. I am one of those individual's who has most of the equipment ever needed to fish but seldom catch any.

17. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Those are called "claw sinkers". The mold comes in 5 1/2 ounces and 8 ounces. Mail me and I'll provide you with a link where you can get them. I love them.

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Just a little more information... there are 3 molds for the claw sinkers. The first is for 2, 3, and 4 ounce sinkers, the second is the 5 1/2 and 8 ounce sinker, and the third is for 9 and 10 ounce sinkers. Guess you can pick your poison.

19. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I usually just bypass the weight section in my local walmart and go straight to the boat anchors! LOL I agree, if you need that much weight move on to a new location.

20. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Bmaultbay

I'ma still learning and believe that there is a time and a place for just about anything. To get my PB (personal best) Flathead on the Ohio River I did move to a spot where the water was not so fast. Casted out a 6 oz sinker straight out which ended up 35 yds down stream. Now I pack 10 oz sinkers toooo.

I think Doc was using 20 (twenty) oz to get his Big Blue!!!!! ;)