Heavy Duty Spincasting Reel that works good with braid Recommendations

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by g3l33m, Nov 16, 2009.

1. g3l33m

g3l33m Member

State:
    Pec, Illinois
    Hey all,
    I was wondering what everyone liked as far as a heavy duty Spin Caster Reel and braid? I'm looking to replace a Zebco HOG cuz I don't like how it feels when reeling in. By this I mean it's not the smoothest in the world in the first place and PP braid makes it worse. I also don't like the short retreive ratio on it or how when you stop reeling it there is roughly 6 - 8 inches of slack that comes back out of the reel. It seems like I can feel the gears mashing or something. It sure does cast a mile though which is one of the reasons I still use it. Anywho I'm looking for a solid performing spin caster and I'd like it under $50 or so. FYI, I've got it paired up with an Ugly Stick Catfish pole right now.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Greg

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've been using a couple of Abu Garcia Cardinal spincasters ,, one for bait,,a 104,,, and a 106 that I use for a handy medium rig, the 106 is rated for up to 20#..
    I'm real impressed with the smoothness of these, and they've worked flawlessly in the negligent fashion I use and care for them!! I'm sure they make larger, heavy rated units, not sure of price..

I have an older Daiwa , much heavier,,not sure of the model,7000 something I think,, and it's held up for over 20 years, in the same fashion I use my heavy baitcasters..Never a problem with it either..

Good Luck, Hope this helps..
    Greg

3. g3l33m

g3l33m Member

State:
    Pec, Illinois
    I just looked them up on ebay and they are both spinning reels, what I always called open face reels, not spincasters. Am I looking at the wrong thing?

I'm looking for a closed face reel. Like most of the Zebcos but better.

thanks,

Greg

ps. These are spincasters but I don't see anything that looks any better than the HOG at BPS: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...rtDirection=&ea_sortColumnName=&currentpage=1

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've never seen a spincaster that works well with braid. The line always seems to kink up on the reel in short order. That said, the Daiwa Silvercast and Daiwa Cobalt reels are the best spincasts I have found. I doubt the do any better that the others with braid though.

5. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    Find yourself a few vintage ABU Cardinal spinning reels with metal cases. They have the fastest line pick up of any spinning reel I know of and there is NO line slack after reeling in your line. I would look for them built before 1984. The only thing I've ever seen go bad on them is bail springs but that is few and far between and vary easy to repair.

6. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    I'm sorry bro I can't help with closed face reels. The ones I mentioned are open face spinning reels.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  7. g3l33m

g3l33m Member

State:
    Pec, Illinois
  8. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've read that the Zebco Z03 works well with braid..Also the Abumatic 1276 comes prespooled w/14 lb fireline.

9. g3l33m

g3l33m Member

State:
    Pec, Illinois
    Thanks, the 1276 looks the best so far.:cool2:

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The Abu's are pretty good. You mentioned you didn't like the way the Zebco would feed out 6+ inches of line before it caught. The Abu's I've had are instant - no play at all, and the Daiwa's I mentioned (Silvercast and Cobalt) play out about an inch of line at the most.

What I don't like about my Abu (it's a 576, similar to the 1276) is the drag adjustment. 2 clicks on the drag take it from freespool to where it's in danger of breaking the line. I'm using 8lb test, it wouldn't be quite as bad with heavier line, but there isn't a lot of in between adjustment.

11. g3l33m

g3l33m Member

State:
    Pec, Illinois
    Sounds like the Abu low profile baitcaster's brakes that I have. It birdnests unless you have the brakes turned all the way up. Thought I had a defective one til I heard the same from someone else with one. It's a Silver something or other model.