Heavy Duty Anchor

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by metalman, Dec 21, 2007.

1. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I normally use an 18lb Richter anchor with 7lbs of chain attached to it and it does great most of the time. There have been a couple times when the current was really cooking and I needed more "grippage" so I decided to make a heavy duty anchor from some material I had in the barn. It weighs 25lb with chain the same as the Richter but has amazing hook up power. The down side is that it is pretty big and takes up a good chunk of space and will not fit in the anchor locker which is the only reason I don't use it all the time. One guy asked me if I had got it from the west coast and I came to find out the design I came up with closely resembles the anchors they use on the Columbia River.
    Mmm, go me:roll_eyes:!!!

Picture 1 shows the overall design and 2 the width (24") The holes in the corner of the angle iron are to let the mud and water drain.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picture 3 shows the size of the angle: 3" x 3" x 1/4" thick.

[​IMG]

Pictures 4,5, & 6 show the fluke shape and sizes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pictures 7,8 & 9 show how one of the two pieces that form the shaft attachment goes through the angle iron to do double duty as the attachment for the chain while picture 10 show the length of the shaft.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pictures 11 & 12 show the chain in working position and how it is held in place with a cable tie. If the anchor gets hung up the tie will break and allow the anchor to be pulled out "backwards" from the hang up. The tie will not break from a normal load on the anchor rope as it doesn't take any of that load; it only holds the chain in line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...W