Heavy duty anchor

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by psychomekanik, Mar 17, 2007.

1. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just wanted to post this to thank Whistler and all the other helpful staff of the B.O.C. I've always had problems in the past keeping the boat anchored when fishing heavy river currents in other peoples boats. Now i have my own, i'm positive it'll be anchored down in the mississippi, and the ohio on a regular basis. I was trying to devise an anchor that would hold (without weighing 80 lbs.) and not get snagged. I already had an idea in mind, when i looked in the library here. I found exactly what i wanted. I made this anchor for under $15.00 i used whistlers idea, plus i'm filling mine with lead to add my personal touch. i encourage all of the members who do not use the library here to look into it. you may find something you can use. or something you can modify to fit your needs specifically. and Hey, if you have something you think someone else could use. by all means post it. we'd all like to see it.
    Mark

Attached Files:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Mark for sharing the pics and Info. I beleve that anchor will do the job. Yes the BOC library has a lot of good ideas and info.:smile2:

3. knockdown

knockdown New Member

State:
    Kansas
    thanks

knockdown

4. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Yours seems to be a fairly popular design... I've seen it on a lot of river boats. That's a great idea, fastening the chain to the bottom of the anchor and using a zip-ty to connect the chain to the top.

I'm an old sailor, and I'm just stuck on using a Danforth style anchor. Old habits are hard to break.

5. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    That should hold you in the Mississippi or anywhere else. A very good job.

6. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I use the exact same anchor - had it not been for the fact the chain is attached at the bottom and held at the top by a zip tie I would have lost it this past Tuesday. Got hung up - put a lot of pressure on it, the zip tie broke and I got my anchor back!!

7. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Great looking anchor, you could sell some of thse to us that not able to weld:roll_eyes:

8. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I bought mine at Boaters World.

9. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Man That's slicker than Snot on a Brass Doorknob.Heading to the Garage and build me one of Them Bad Boys. Thank's and Reps heading your way.J.D.
    :0a31:

10. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    can you fill me in on the zip tie? Is it for the purpose of holding the chain in line as if it where tied at the top of the anchor but it you get snagged up you can move in the direction of the anchor and go past it and pull the zip tie loose enabling the anchor to be pulled out in the opposite direction so the hooks will not snag up on anything allowing you to get free and keeping your anchor? Or am I missing the concept completely? Why doesn't the zip tie break while just anchoring out normally? Or is there not any pressure on it?

just curious....I have seen this anchor before but have never had any hands on experience with it

11. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have the same questions. I hope we get an answer:confused2:

Wooly

12. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Fellas, you hit the nail on the head.

The heavy duty zip-tie will hold the anchor line to the top eye of the anchor and will allow the anchor to be manually loosened from the bottom and raised to the boat.

It will, however, break under heavy pressure like the boat engine pulling against the snagged anchor. This will transfer the pressure to the bottom connection and lift the anchor in reverse, freeing it from the snag.

The large heavy duty zip tie will break with age and exposure to sunlight, so be sure to carry spares.

13. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i use anchors that are similiar to those and just wanted to add if you wrap the ends of the hooks with some duct tape it will keep the hooks from scratching the outside of your boat up some if that matters to ya. i do mine about once a year.

14. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Catfishrus----MMMM why didn't I think of that. Thanks