Heavy cover Flathead catfish rig, opinions please

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KYTRAPPER, Jun 6, 2006.

1. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Well here goes. Im setting up two new rigs to chase flatheads in the river with. Heres the thing. My local river(Big Sandy) is not a awsomely wide river but does have some big cats. To get to these big flatheads you have to fish the heavy cover. For my new rigs Im looking at ugly stik tiger rods MH with either abu 7000's, penns or maybe one of the new shakespear 30l.b's ect. I like to use big live bait here, like 10 inch suckers, shad and so on. My questions are will this pole handle a big live bait plus a 2-5 oz sinker. As well what line/leader do you recommend to pull the big fish from heavy cover?

2. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I think a bigcat rod and penn 320 would be the level of nuts you desire. I have the setup you mention. It is nice but not super, super stout.

3. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    JMO, but if you're throwing into heavy cover, use as light of weight as possible. You mentioned 2-5 oz......even with a 10" sucker, I'd use maybe a 2 oz. egg or cannonball at the most (carolina or 3-way respectively). For starters, if you ain't snaggin', you're losin'. Keep it simple, and have plenty of bait onhand. Good luck.

4. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    The MH will work just fine and I use the 7000 and love them. You want to use just enough weight to keep your bait from swimming around and get you tangled up. I use 80lb. powerpro for my main line and 80lb. suffix mono for my leader...

5. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    In some places on this river it takes every bit of 5oz to keep the bait in one spot. Though I can usually get away with 2oz or 3oz.

6. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    What kind of sinkers are you using? I always use bank sinkers, because they won't roll like egg sinkers. A 1-2 ounce bank sinker always works great for me unless I'm in heavy current. Then I have to go up to at least a 4 oz. And for a leader, I like to go with that braided spiderwire. It's great stuff. And I make 'em usually around 18" long. But you can buy some that's actual wire I seen in some fishin' catalogs, but they looked kinda expensive to me, but then again, I'm a cheap skate. lol. Hope I've helped some.

-Red

7. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Yes and thanks for the tips:wink: Well Im getting ready to order a no roll mold so thats gonna help a lot.

8. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i use a bass pro XH rod with an abu 6500 with 50# power pro and a 4 oz sinker. havn't had any problems yet.

9. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    I think you are on the right track.

I have a couple Tiger rods Medium weight, that are awesome rods, but a tad bit light for me fishing flatties tight to cover. The MH you are looking at should be good. There is a big difference betweeen the M & the MH Tiger rods.

Another rod you should possibly look at is the Jim Moyer Boss rods. We've just become familiar with these rods in MN and the #3 & #4 rods are awesome flathead rods. I'd go with the #4 in the situation you described.

You can't ask for much more than a Garcia 7000 or Penn GT series when fishing flats. Either will be a great choice!

What else, I'd go 80lb PowerPro or even heavier. I stay away from 50lb. I had the 50 snap twice on me in 1 night and haven't spooled 50lb since. Its a confidence thing in my opinion and I lost all confidence in 50lb that night!

No-Roll sinkers rock! You can pour your own like you mentioned. CC sells them as well up to 8oz. And I know a few other guys locally that sell that at an awesome price!

Good luck to ya!

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a medium heavy ugly stik tiger rod..Believe me this rod will handle any catfish under any conditions..It really feels like a heavy action rod to me because it has a very stiff tip..And abu 7000, or a penn 320 gt2 would be a bery good choice of reels...Perosanlly I would go with monofilement Berkly Biggame in 40-lb test should do fine, for this heavy cover fishing, and you can use the same line as leader..I have casted 8-oz sinkers with this rod with ease..Forr Hooks you might want to try the Eagle claw king kahle in 8-10/0..Or Gamagatsu 8/0 octopus hook..I dont think I would use cirlce hooks in extremly thick cover where you have to pull the fish out, because they have a tendacy to pull free from the fish when under alot of pressure.

11. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    let's look at a few things...

you can only put a certain amount of pressure on a fish with your rod to steer him out of cover. Unless you're losing a pool cue, I think your rod woud snap before you could break even 50# braid.

I agree with flathunter about using mono... I think your line gets most of it's abrasion resistance from the thickness or diameter. 20# mono is pretty abrasion resistant, and if you're comfortable going even higher feel free. Even the 15# mono that I use is pretty tough around heavy cover. I've seen mono take some nasty scrapes on rocks and concrete and still hold while landing a small flathead. If I were using small diameter superbraid, like power pro, once scuffed up like that, it loses a most of it's strength. Just some food for thought....

Another option, get some 30 # green spot dacron. Not as easily castable, but that is some no stretch, tough line for heavy cover. Just try and break some of that!!!

Shawn

12. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think a tiger and a 7000 is a good choice. If it were me I'll go with the tiger and the 7000. You were talking about the flatheads in the heavy cover, I think if you set up at the head of a big logjam there will be fish there. Once night hits the fish go roaming usually following trees and snaggy stuff. But during the day you have to drop it in their face.

13. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    It sounds like you fish a river similar to the one I fish. The Tiger in MH topped w/ an abu 7000 is an awesome set up. I have this set up and I can cast a 10" bullhead and a 6 ounce weight w/out a problem. The Tiger is just about impossible to break as well. I think if you use this set up w/ big lively bait and a 3-way rig you should be set.

14. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    heavy duty reel and pole will work fine

15. cornbreadnky

cornbreadnky New Member

State:
    Elizabethtown, Kentucky
    you might want to check with gator and see what kind he has or could make for you...

16. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    I fish a river with alot of current and alot of log jams and i wasnt sure as to what action of rod i should use. I just knew that my bass rods werent heavy enough,so after reading what the other BOC members used,and knowing what set up and bait i was gonna use,i ordered a heavy action 7' Ugly Stik Tiger Lite from Cabelas. I felt that after reading the specs on the rods,and i looked at a bunch of them,this rod met the criteria that i was looking for. All i can suggest is that you match the rod to your fishing conditions.

17. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    flathunter u took the words right out of my mouth.and kytrapper listen to these guys and u will do just fine,they have yet to let me down.:big_smile:

18. fourteenfootcat

fourteenfootcat New Member

State:
    Big Spirit Lake, Iowa
    ...afterall, you're probably going to take the trees and all with you, so might as well make it strong.

I prefer black Cortland Dacron in 80 lb test on a Garcia 7000 reel and a well-build Fenwick or Penn Saltwater rod that has a fast tip, but heavy backbone. The fast tip will allow you to launch large baits near heavy cover, yet have the backbone to get the brute out when he/she heads for the hills with your sucker/goldish/bluegill, etc. I prefer 7-8 foot saltwater rods. Circle hooks, of course. :big_smile:

Channel cats you can use almost anything, but Flathead are a whole other breed of cats. God knew what he was doing when he made them. :wink:

19. deanc

deanc New Member

State:
    GA
    I guess the rod and reel come down to what works for you. I bought the BassPro Catmax 9' MH and have the TICA CA200 reel with 50# PowerPro. It worked great for me Saturday on the Altamaha in GA but our river is slap full of snags., trees, logs, etc. I found I was getting snagged much no matter what sinker I used, so I put a sinker slide on the braid with 18 to 24" of 10# mono to the sinker. Needed 4 ozs because the river is very swift. Tied on a good #5 bearing swivel and 30 to 36 inches of 50# mono as a leader. At least when I got snagged I could give it a yank, the 10# sinker leader would break and I got the rest of my gear back. Also saved me a 20# flathead. I just use the super braids as a base line because of the lack of memory and it will last a long long time and I hate changing line all the time. Good luck with the flatties.

20. qball

qball New Member

State:
    Odum, Ga
    I don't know about the reel but the rod will handle just about any thing you hang with it.