The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
switched to braid on my lite spinning setup because i kept getting line twist/wind knots seemingly every 1/2 hour to a hour of constantly casting lures using both 6lb XL or 4lb stren . switched to cheap big game 20lb braid from wally world and i haven't had ANY twist/knots the past few weeks i've been using it . it doesn't cast as far with trout magnet type stuff but does good enough with them . does fine with heavier little spinners and such . anyhow ......

been thinking about trying braid on my silver max bait caster on a GX2 MH rod , it's rated for 140 yards of 30lb braid but i really don't need that much length where i fish around here . i've read about smaller braid digging into itself so i'm concerned about that so i'm thinking trying 40-50lb or maybe even 65lb . my hope is to get farther casting distance and also for the learning experience . this setup is used for bass mostly and but there's plenty of 2-3 foot carp around here that i want to do some C&R with . currently using 12lb mono BUT .... i'm a beginner at using a bait caster found the SMAX last spring new for $30 and decided to try it and i do like it . i'm thinking the heavier braid will be move forgiving if i bird nest :( . i'll probably use the BG braid since it's cheap ($16 for 300 yards) and will allow a few respools if i make a major nest and have to cut a lot or most of it out . anyhow .... what are y'alls thoughts on going heavier than the factory spec (drag won't be locked down) ? and if i'm gonna try it should i bite the bullet and spend more on PP or 832 ?

thanks , jeff

·
Administrator
10,487 Posts
I would agree with Ramon about the cause of braid embedding into the spool. Either the spool is wound too loose or the braid has been pulled on really hard because of a snag. Never pull the braid hard with the reel. Again do like Ramon recommends and have a 4 inch section of wooden dowel to wrap the loose line around to pull on.

Tip: I see some trump to hold the rod in one hand and wrap a dowel with the other while performing a balancing act. Just give yourself some slack and lay the rod down. Take the slack out of the line before making 5 or 6 wraps around the dowel. Then pull it like you are starting a lawn mower. You will be back fishing before you know it.

Now if you do have some hard pulls on your line, even from a big fish, you might want to make a cast afterwards just to be sure that the line is not embedded. Or let it out to the suspected area and pull dome out by hand.

Some reels are more inclined to embed by how close the strand wraps with the level wind system. But if kept tight the chances are minimized.

I would also go with around 30lb test but 50 should work just about as well also.

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,128 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^
What they said!!!
I would only add that when dealing with most bass, it is fairly easy to keep a tight line between rod top and fish and the line rarely comes in contact with the fish's flanks.
Carp on the other hand, especially 2 - 3 footers, are a different scenario. There is a good chance that they will roll on the line at some point during the fight and braid under tension (as I'm sure you know) cuts like a cheese wire and will not be kind to flanks or fins so maybe a mono leader of about 4 feet is something to consider.

...W

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i've been doing pretty well with the baitcaster , no major birds nest ..... till yesterday . way too much to pick out at the lake . sat here today and picked/cut it out and had about half of the line left . added the #20 BG braid to fill in what i lost and put about a 4 ft #12 mono leader on it . still got more than enough #20 left for a complete respool on the RG/AB if i need to and i get to try braid on the baitcaster . will give it a try in a few days and see how it does for me .
thanks again for the replies . jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts