Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looking to buy a couple heavy actions rods
Currently using whisker seeker Denali bottom feeders and ripping lips
Any recommendations
I have tried a couple of the big names out there, BCF being one of them. I have two EXH and 1 MH BCF rods. BCF rods are nice rods for sure, but my favorite is Warrior Cat. I have 6 Warrior Cat rods.... 2 MH, 2 H, 1 EXH, and 1 ladies rod (MH).

The Heavy rods are my favorite. I use them saltwater fishing as much, if not more, than I do for catfishing. They will cast 8 and bait for sure. They will handle big fish, but yet they are not broom sticks. We've crank in stingrays well over 100 Lbs that were stuck to the bottom... just lock out the drag on the AVET MXL Raptor, shift into low gear, have a seat and start cranking the handle. Caught huge jacks and Bull Reds, and sharks up to 4' long. Largest catfish with the Heavy Action was 25 Lb Flathead.... was fun... rod bent real nicely... making the 25 lber fun to catch, but also never a doubt. The Warrior Cat rods perform great, and have a lot of bend, but yet will still bring in about anything you hook into.

I prefer the cork handles, but they discontinued the cork handle rods.

The EXH warrior cat rod is just ridiculously strong. They don't have them on their website any longer, but I have been told they are brining them back. I have never seen any catfish rod that will compare. It's absolutely a beast. It's 7'9" long, and the diameter is considerably bigger than the diameter of the heavy action rods. I think they say you can cast 2 lbs with it, but I have NEVER casted mine.... I think it's just too much for catfish.... I have an AVET HXW Raptor on it and I kayak baits out with it for sharks. The largest I have caught with it is 5'6" .... and it didn't stress the rod very much at all. I am not sure how large a shark it would handle, but I would guess at least 8' ... maybe even 9'. If they put the EXH rods back on the website I am going to buy a couple more.

Comparing the BCF to the Warrior Cat... I find the tip on the BCF to be extra soft.. more so than most rods. And then it transitions into a stiff backbone. So you get bend for sure in the last 18" or so, but then seems to really stiffen from there to the handle. I find the Warrior Cat to be a more even throughout the whole rod from tip to handle. And I prefer this personally.

Anytime I have to choice to make as to which rod I am going to grab to use fishing, I just always find myself grabbing the Warrior Cat.

But really, I think there are many good options, and most are very comparable with pricing.... so, personal choice rules.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,619 Posts
Bob Cat that was a great analogy of the Warrior Cat rods. I completely understand what you are saying because I too fish BCF rods along with several others but do not have a Warrior Cat, I have looked them over on line many times. I did add a couple of B&M Silver Cat Elites to my arsenal this year and really like them. They are listed as MH but perform much stronger because they are not parabolic action. Pretty soft tip with quick backbone. You can really control fish much better with the Elites than most all my other rods and they are still fun on the 5 pounders.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts