Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
I'd go Madkatz, Slimecat or BCF. Either could handle 8oz and bait easily.

·
Registered
Ever changing at the moment! I’m quickly becoming a TWC and whisker seeker fan though.
31 Posts
I have a meat hunter heavy action rod I like it!
The tip is fairly soft to detect bites ( for a heavy action) and it was only $40 but I will say it’s so solid it takes a lot of the fun out of catching smaller fish (under 5 pounds) you can feel them fighting and they take drag (depending on where you have it set) but if you’re targeting big fish that doesn’t matter. all in all it’s a solid built good feeling rod.
All of the rods @ramon06 mentioned are great! I personally went with the meat hunter because it was half the price and that way I could try a heavy action without spending as much cash. Just my thoughts.

·
Horse-MON
22,496 Posts
Denny it just depends on how heavy you really want. You can buy solid glass and put whatever handle an reel seat guides, reel you want. This one is 7' with 6 oz on it right now. 8 wouldn't faze it.
Building Wood Composite material Tints and shades Hardwood

Now if you got time and want to go cheap, get in a hickory grove and cut some up to 10', strip all bark off, put in the rafters to cure. Cut any length you want, put guides and handle you want reel won't matter. I use to use them for bank poles and no they won't break. Just work on a straight one.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
MEAT HUNTER!!!!!
Contact Charles Crook, the owner. He'll listen to your needs and can set you up with what you want.
I have been using MH rods for about 15 years and have landed many 50-80's and 2 over 100 pounds.
They have never failed me in any way.
Good luck.
ccat

1 - 20 of 28 Posts