heavy actin and circal hooks

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by slikk03, May 28, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i got a heave action ten foot glow stick, will this cues my circals to not work, i think its heavy, i went to heavy action, becouse, i got bercly big game medium heavy, and it dosent allow you to get a flathead off the bottem, it bends into, i dont like them, never go with them walmart big gme if your expecting a 40 and up,

2. farbeyonddriven

farbeyonddriven New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You know Berkley makes glowstiks as well as "BigGame" rods right? I love both my BigGame rods and Glowstiks. And to your question, it shouldn't really affect it.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well its stange, the ten foot glowstick is alot thiker but does bend, the medim hevy walmart one bends right over, dont want a flat to bend it like that, you get no lifting force, my ten foot glowrod does fine, but the qwestion is will this affect the circal hooks action, they say the flimser rod the better a circal works

4. farbeyonddriven

farbeyonddriven New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've always had better luck with a stiffer rod when it comes to circle hooks, but that's just my experiences. The reason you less bend is because of switching to the heavier action, trust me the BigGame rods hold up nice.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    ive got a big game rod that does a fine job,no complaints as of yet.i find aheavier action rod dosent work as well with circles as say a medium or medium heavy action but im sure its different for everyone.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well my reasoning behind why a rod with less bend doesnt work as well with circles is the same reason trying to set the hook doesnt work. the hook has to travel to the corner of the mouth and rotate, with a stiffer rod and a fast fish the hook may fly right on by the corner of the mouth and out. with a slower action rod, more bend, the rod bends down as the fish runs slowing the hooks speed alowing it time to find a home in the corner of the fishes mouth. and just because a rod bends alot doesnt nessarily mean that when its done bending it wont have the power to pull a fish without breaking it just may mean that you have to pull further to move him after you put the bend on him. and the bend will help wear him down in the long run like trying to drag something with a bungie rope vs a regular rope.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    good explanation i agree

8. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    ive never really understood why people claim the action hurts or helps circles!!to me the stiffer rod would give less therefor setting the hook deeper without the assistance of the reel down!! ive had ddeeper hook sets off of my 8ft heavy bigwater uglies than my smaller rods!! the only thing would be if they are being a lil picky and not as aggressive then a lighter action may be better!!
    the bend in a rod couldnt possibly move the hook faster than a reel down with a high speed reel??

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thats a tuff one, you need some give, trust me, or you canloosin your drag more so it pulls some line while pulling alowing the hook to not rip out

10. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    i use an 8/0 hook and i think the wider gap gives alot better hook up!! but ive had thge best hookups wwith heavier rods !! but really as long as both rods are getting hooked up and getting fish in it really doesnt matter!:tounge_out:

11. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    I use 8 ft. med. heavy action glow stiks and 7 ft. 1 piece ugly stick Tigers med. action both are real stickers with circles. The tiger med. action has just the right give on about 15- 16 " of the tip to let the rod load up yet beefy enough on the butt end and handle to fight a big fish. The Glow Stiks have a smoother longer action and load up good too. I've used longer, heavier action rods in the past using O'shaughnessy or kahls but with circles the heavy action longer rods don't do it for me. Give me a 7 or 8 footer med. or med. heavy any day. Works better for me at least.

12. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I think the amount of bend probly just feels diffrent than what you want or expect.
    maby a heavy rod with stretchy mono is bout as good as a bendy rodd with no stretch braid?

I discovered, I ain't got nuff patience to use a circle hook, I believe in the sayin that, a fisherman is a jerk on one end of the line waitin for a jerk on the other end! :crazy:
    I wanna be the jerk the fish feels!!!:smile2:

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    None,,,,, of my Rods,,,,,:wink: work with circles....

14. ghudson434

ghudson434 New Member

State:
    virginia
    i have the daiwa beef stick x heavy rod and i cant catch anything on it with out circle hooks. i use 8/0 gomakatsu circle hooks on this rod and thats all ill use. tried the regular hooks and kept missing fish. switched to the circles and havent missed one on that rod since. has to b a beast fish to bend this guy over. caught 25lb flathead on it last week and the rod never knew the fish was there. it probably depends on the person. try both hooks andsee which works best for you. i didnt even like circles till i got this rod and HAD to use them. still not my favorite hook but gotta use them.:wink:

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    seems like i posted this twice, sorry

16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    no i posted it three times i apolagize, to much sedatives wipe your memory, the docs got me on valuim and it kills your mind lol