Heaviest mono for 6500C3?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Mr.T, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    What's the heaviest mono that an Abu Garcia 6500C3 can reasonably accommodate? Any ideas what the capacity of that reel is with 30, 40 and 50 lb mono?

2. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have experimented with 30lb mono on my 6500 C3's. Mine are the older models, not with the new and stronger drags. I felt the line was to much for the reel and went back to 20lb. The problem was as much the rods I have them mounted too, as the reels though. I save the 30-50lb mono for my bigger Penns

3. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    I use 25lb Trilene big game on mine, and I have no problems with them.

4. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I had 25lb big game on my first 6501C3. I didnt care for it a whole lot I switched to 16lb dia/65lb power pro now.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Well, I bought some 40 lb Big Cat line at lunch and we'll see how it works. Considered going back to PowerPro braid, but just can't see spending that kind of money. If the 40 lb is too big, I'll probably switch back to braid.

6. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have put 40lb BG on my 6500 without any trouble.

7. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I use 30# on all mine and have no trouble at all.

8. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    I use 30 lb Big Game line on mine. No troubles. 20 lb probably handles a bit better on that sized reel.

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use 20# on mine i seem to be able to cat better and smoother with less trouble then with the heavy thick line.I may try some of the heavy test in power pro just experament,but for me its the 20# cajun red line.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I had 30# mono on mine and found that a long cast would spool off about 3/4 of the line on the reel; needless to say, that didn't result in the best casts possible. IMO, if you want 30# test or more, you need to go to braided superline if you're planning to make long casts. Some of the places I want to reach are 100 yards or more from shore or where you can legally be with a boat.

11. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    I run 50lb big game (solar green) on all my reels. I have 2 6500's and it works great. It holds probably 80-100 yards of line. I never loose a hook in snags either. We have hauled in tree stumps with this stuff. They say with the stretch in the mono it is actually 84lb before it breaks. 50Lbs is not a problem.