Heating No-Roll Sinker Mold

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Gordhawk, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What is the best way to get the mold heated up before starting to pour lead into it. It takes me several tries before I can get a full sinker molded. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm melting the lead in a 2 qt.cast iron pot on a 1000 watt electric hot plate.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You might try putting the mold on the hot plate with the lead your melting, or provide a separate heat source for the mold. I find that I get full pours all the time, but the lead is wrinkled, indicating it is cooling too fast in the mold. But, instead of making pretty good looking sinkers for me to snag up an loose, I figured I may as well use the wrinkled ones and save wear and tear on my gray matter.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    LOL Lawerence you and I think alot alike.:big_smile:

4. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    It's all about temp of your lead !

As long as it work's why care about looks !?!

For the longest time i had crinkled weight's, but after messing with temp gauge finally got it right !

HAWK

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Becarefull when preheating the mold, uneven heating can and will warp the mold. Excessive heating will cause the mold to melt. Either way the mold is ruined.

6. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I dont worry much about the wrinkles any more but you can leave the first pour in a few minutes to heat up the mold. Im leary of using an external source to heat my molds. Machined aluminum is very warp sensitive. Thats why you get leaky heads on a car engine after overheating.