Heating a 100gal Bait Tank

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by Shamrock, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

State:
    Knoxville,TN
    I would like to heat my 100 gal bait tank that I keep in an unheated garage. My goal would be to stabilize the temperature at 50F to 55F. I would not have to worry about freezing and the bait would be close to the water in the East Tennessee lakes. Aquarium heaters are not designed to allow them to drop below 65F. Pond deicers and stock tank heaters are designed to prevent freezing but not for maintaining a set temperature. Anny ideas?

2. catin38

catin38 New Member

State:
    alabama
    have you thought about a pump to keep water circulating. That in itself would prevent freezing. Also i seen a setup where a guy took 2 or more 100 watt flood lights placed them over the tank and put a piece of plexiglass in between to prevent water from hitting it. those things put out alot of heat and you can adjust temp by raising or lowering.. hope this helps.:tounge_out:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009

3. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    catin38 has the right idea but aim the at the side of the tank to much light inside. Just put a thermometer in the water and adjust as needed. Should be able to hold it about what you want that way. You just do not want to much light on the fish. If it gets real cold you can add a light or remove as the temp changes. But that should be a way to heat it to what you want and keep it close.:wink:

4. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

State:
    Knoxville,TN
    Thanks for your help!! I have spent a lot of time trying to reach a cheep yet effective solution to this problem.
    I was looking for the set and forget it solution that would automatically keep the temp in the 50F to 55F range. The lights would have to be adjusted with the high and low temp each day. Great cheep idea but I am too lazy to adjust each day? Still searching??

5. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    Go down to your local pet supply and buy a aquariam heat that is designed for a 100 gallon or bigger tank then just adjust it to keep the temp you want. Wont hurt the fish if they brush agasint it either.

6. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

State:
    Knoxville,TN
    Thanks great idea. All the aquarium heaters I have found will only adjust down the 65 to 66 range. I wish to keep the temperature as close as I can to the lake temp in winter (50F) to keep from shocking the bait. I will still be looking for answers.

7. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Use a remote bulb thermostat in the heat range you want to turn the aquarium heaters on and off
    the water temp will maintain at what ever temp you set it at.
    You can buy the remote bulb thermostat at a supply house that sales refrigeration equipment.

8. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    A stock tank heater combined with a thermostat would work. they make probe type thermostats for that very purpose. It will brake the current to the heater when the temp. you want is reached.

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jeff,
    The set up you need is not cheap but will work exactly the way you want. The link below will show you a digital controller. It is basically a temperature switch that will turn the heaters on and off as necessary to maintain the temp you want. I would recommend a couple of high power heaters to minimize response time and a pump to keep the water moving to prevent hot spots. Have the heaters switched by the controller.
    Good luck...W

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+21333&pcatid=21333

10. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

State:
    Knoxville,TN
  11. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
  12. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    An element out of a hot water heater with a thermostat will also work well....Good cheap way to do this.

13. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i sell bait on norman i have a 500 gal tank in a unheated garage i run fresh water into it well wter is about 54 degrees works for me when it gets cold i use more water have had my trout tanks get ice in them but that does not hurt them i use a pond pump to move water all the time never have lost them because of the cold hope this hepls bobs bait

14. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    OUCH! I know this is a little late, but for future reference if anybody else has the same situation, they DO make aquarium heaters that are adjustable down to 32 degrees. I found this last year and have used it all winter in my 55 gal aquarium in an unheated room and it did exactly what I needed. Hope this helps somebody eventually ;)
    http://www.aquacave.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=635