Heater question

Discussion in 'Boating' started by dominoman, Jan 24, 2008.

1. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Does anyone use a small heater just to take the edge off while out in the winter? Looked at a small propane one that runs off the small bottles. Pros/cons?

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I have a couple of the small Coleman heaters and about all I get from them are warm feet and on the special occasions some smoke from my boots, if I am lucky.:smile2: I have been looking at the large Mr. Heater units that will run off the larger tanks like the grill uses. I think it would do a better job and be cheaper than the little bottles.
    If you used it with some type of cover it might do a little better. I haven't tried them on my beck boat with the Bimini top.:roll_eyes::big_smile:

Thanks
    David

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i use one and it sure feels good on cold days !!!

4. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Which one do you use?
    This is the one I am looking at. Runs off two of the small cylinders or you can use it with the large tanks with an adapter that you have to purchase separately.:angry: :smile2:

The second picture is the type of Coleman's I use now. Cost me about two small cans of propane per 6 hours of use. If I am alone i set one at my feet and one at my back and it does actually help a little. Other than making smoke come from my boots.:smile2:

Thanks
    David

Attached Files:

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'll tell you what you need. First a good set of Carharts. Then you need one of those jon-e handwarmers. Fill it with ciggerette lighter fluid and stick in your pocket. It's like you have a furnace in your coveralls. Great for going to farm auctions in 0 weather. Plus you can grab it with your hands and warm them up if they are cold.

The ones I'm talking about have been around for 50+ years, they cost about 15 or less depending on where you get them. They are always on ebay. I have bought them at different farm auctions so I have 4 or 5 of them. They are great.

6. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    mr buddy is a no it want stay lit if any wind hits it i use reg kerosene heater in my pontoon but it is enclosed halfway back nice an cozy no trouble there is plenty of ventalation.

7. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was looking at those also, and wondering just like you are. I have an old coleman tent heater, it used to work, but I haven't used it in a long time. I'm not sure I can get parts for it any more. I think I might try to get it going, but if it don't work, I'm going to need your advice.
    Later Andy

8. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I can't go fishing when its that cold. If I knew I was going to catch something then I might invest in one.

9. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I have mr heater, wind is issue but have been lucky with mine. I dress warm enough but it sure feels good to warm your hands up or just thaw your face out every now and then. My mr heater and full thermous of coffee/hot chocolate is a must. I'm cold natured anyway but I can sit out there with that and enjoy a little cold weather. But when I say I dress warm... I got MANY layers...lol.

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I use a convection heater mounted on a 20 lb propane cylinder. Takes the chill off right nice!

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    well the Mr. Heater I have has worked well so far, has not been blown out yet, but I can see it happening, also have a little shielding box we made from an old stove/oven case but they are nice to have something to get the feeling back int your hands every now and again. Started years back with just a metal 5 gallon bucket set up for charcoal while ice fishing, also worked well.

12. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for the info on the possible wind issue with the Mr. Heater / Mr Buddy. I was going to go that route as soon as Lowe's marked them down. They have an unbelievable amount of the Mr. Buddies at my local Lowe's and i know there are going to be marking them down cheap pretty soon. Well that is if it ever warms back up to normal. It is a whole 2 degrees tonight with out the windchill.:sad2::choler::0a18:
    I may just spend the money on a couple more of the Coleman Black Cats and use my lantern hoses and run them from a larger tank and some sort of outlet multiplier thingy ma-jigger. The Coleman's have worked without failing me but they just don't put out a lot of heat.

Thanks
    David

13. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use a heater propane style it will warm your hands but thats about it. But its great for cooking on or making coffee.

14. Smijen

Smijen New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    For the pontoon boat we have a 19 dollar grill from wally world that uses the little green bottles. We keep the lid closed and on low and you can feel a pretty good difference and cook some dogs to boot! It feels better that the coleman sport cat thingy we tried.

15. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Jenny is right there. It is nice at 0300 when it is below freezing. And the dogs are great!

16. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have always had a problem with the JON-Es because they use lighter fluid.It seems you can't keep that smell off of your hands and if I can smell it I know the fish can.I use the chemical type and they work well.Most of the guides I know have some kind of radiant heater on their pontoons in an enclosure.The type that use the full size cylinders.Any kind will provide some relief in really cold weather even in an open boat.I have a small Coleman one burner propane stove that I use to boil water for soup,tea etc .I can stand over it with a blanket wrapped around me and get totally warm in a few minutes.Best remedy is catch fish!!!!!!!!:smile2:Big ones!!!

17. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    there is another mr heater than I have been eyeing for my pontoon, almost looks to warm but I like it. I may give it a try.

Attached Files:

18. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Smijen, that's a heck of an idea, a lot less than what the Mr. Buddy runs, with an advantage to warm up some dogs, sandwiches. I don't need this all the time, just the few occasions it gets cool-cold down here. I sure feel for you folks that have to try to catch fish that are pre-frozen, not sure I could stand that.