Heat source for melting lead

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by justwannano, Jun 7, 2007.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I'm gonna start making my own sinkers. I've already got a couple of meltng pots and a couple of ladels. Now I need a heat source.
    Will an old fashioned gasoline blow torch be enough heat to melt a pot of lead? I've even considered making a forge but it seems kinda labor intensive.
    any ideas are appreciated.
    ps last time I made sinkers I had use of a electric melting pot.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The blow torch should work. Also, if you happen to have a side burner from an old B-B-Q grill, that would work. Hot plates from Wal-marts will work. Some will be faster than others, but they will all work. Just make sure your in a well ventilated place, wear eye protectors and gloves. Want to keep you around. LOL

3. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I use a 20$ coleman burner(propane). It heats lead fast and keeps it hot. One tank of propane(about 2.50$) will melt a lot of lead.

4. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use just a small propane bottle with a tortch. Works good for me.
    make me some weights while your at it :wink:

5. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    i use the burner on my fish cooker.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    You can melt lead on a $10 hot plate from Wally-World.

7. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i use my turkey fryer for smelting.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've used electric hot plates, fish cooker burners, gas stoves, etc. for melting lead. As said above, they all work. Harbor Freight Tools has a sale on a propane 2-burner cast iron camp stove for $15.

9. adamant

adamant New Member

State:
    new jersey
    e bay has a few...
    i use one of those small hand held ones from do it molds but it is slowwwwwww:lol:

10. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo

thats the thing about making sinkers....once you get your mold hot enough you have to go into rush mode or youll have to do it all over again. next time I will surely take a blowtorch to the mold before pouring,those no-roll molds take forever to get hot enough for a complete casting.

by the way I use a propane single burner that screws directly into a small tank that I borrowed from my wifes father. but thanks for the tip jtrew, their is a harbor freight right down the street from me I havnt got to goto yet because they close so early.

11. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I have an old electric stove that was given to me. I put it under a lean-to on the back of my out building. It works great. Vern

12. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Propane camp stove, you can take it anywhere. I use mine to melt scrap lead in a 8" cast iron skillet. I clean the junk off the top and pour it into cupcake pan. This makes nice ingots that fit into my Hotpot-2. All you will have to do is, clean the junk off the top and ladle the clean lead into your mold. Remember to keep water away from your lead. Moisture is bad. Be safe.