Heard of these, lake argyle or spring lake??

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by fat_fish55, Feb 15, 2006.

1. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey have any of you guys ever heard of or fished in lake argyle or spring lake??
    also,
    any good lakes to fish in anywhere in a short drive from quincy il?
    thanks

2. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    Argyle - When I went to Western, Back in the 60's, It was not known for fishing but making out - at least that is what they called it back then!

The make out lake!

3. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Lake Argyle is west of Macomb by Colchester. It has primitive camping available, and the lake is good for Channel Cats, but be ware of the fish stealing racoons. It's aproximately 1 hr from Quincy. Take 336N to 136E to Colchester and then follow the signs. I haven't heard of the other place, sorry no help.

Ray

4. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    I used to live in near macomb. spring lake is north of macomb take us67 north out of macomb its about 5 miles out of town follow the signs. pretty good catfishing they have channels,blues,and flatheads. they have some good size flats around the spilway.

5. coalminer78

coalminer78 New Member

State:
    Lincoln, IL
    Is Spring Lake over by Manito?

6. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

By the looks of the La Moile River, it must be near Balndisville, which is west of Good Hope on Route 9. It's straight north of Colechester about 6-8 miles.

Ray

7. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey thanks guys,
    i have fished them both but never for catfish
    thats pretty cool that spring lake has blues and flatties also
    cant wait till it warms up a tad

8. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I was confused, I thought you wanted to know where they were. Sorry, but now I know I have a good idea where Spring Lake is.

Ray

9. Rivercat1

Rivercat1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I grew up near macomb and have fished both of those for over 30 years argyle has some big flatheads, and nice channels. they both have nice camping sites.

10. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Yes i live in quincy too. Lake Argyle is ok but they don't stock the lake regeraly like they should since it's a man made lake. There's also a good spot by the mississippi which is called Long Island, and then you can enter into hogback island, libby island, etc. There all good places but the water needs to be up in order to get back into the islands by boat.