Heading to the Highline

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by mako cat, Nov 18, 2009.

1. mako cat

mako cat New Member

State:
    San Diego
    This is one of my favorite places; I think it’s the combo of desert and fast water.

Might make bait at Sunbeam and camp somewhere off a drop on the BLM side. Are the flats still moving in canals?

How far up the highline has anyone fished successfully? I’ve gone up past the odd painted rocks and even odder campground, but no action when it gets less than 20’ across.

This spring we were well north of the 78, when right after dark a major sandstorm came up, like dead calm to 40+ mph in 10 minutes. The tent was tied to the truck, but when poles started bending we packed it up. El Centro was calm when we got there. How weird is that?

2. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Good luck out there and Welcome to the BOC from Fresno CA.

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Jeff, welome to the BOC and hope to hear a report whn you get back:wink:

4. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    welcome to the BOC from Bakersfield, CA

5. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Welcome aboard brother, Ric from Salton City, IV

I'm about 45 or so mins away from the highline, unfortunately, I've never been out there, farthest I've been is the Alamo, wish I could help ya out, but if DesertCatRat or Bluehunter chime in, they might have some info, maybe even Snagged2

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Sounds like good water,,however, I'm not familiar with it, ...

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Welcome to the BOC Jeff...:wink:..all the way from the Beach at LA...

I fish the high line from the sand dunes at Glamis....(small to med channels) I usually use mack.... but never have used live bait other than crawlers...

Be heading back down there for "superbowl weekend"... like to "use" the sand when the crowd leaves....

again.... I fish the "drops" south of 78....first one is about 6 miles south of 78... and then every two or so miles is another.. 5 total down to the interstate.

So the drop that is north of 78 is about 3 1/2 miles north of 78... do you follow the canal... or is there a "shot cut" ?

Bayrunner Ray

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I know team760 who lives in westmorland has a lot of familiarity with the highland as he caught some good channels on it. I fished it a few times with him like one area around hwy111 and one area not far from Calexico. I seen the one near the sand dunes and it looks very fishable off hyw78. Have not tried it yet. But did ride around area one time to investigate.

9. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    HI Jeff, welcome to the BOC:0a25: from the South Gate(LA erea) and congrats, you just joined the best club period!

Jaime

10. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Welcome aboard the BOC, Jeff.

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Ray, that one that you and i fished one time from sand dunes was the cachilla canal, not the highland. highland is farther towards westmoreland aways.
    i love the highland. where i've caught many of flatheads from, but close to start of canal though.
    gary

12. mako cat

mako cat New Member

State:
    San Diego
    Got back yesterday PM from IV. Unfortunately the catfish were on vacation, brim for bait and a few shorty bass on twister tail plastics were all that saved me from skunk.

I caught some blue gill at the headwaters off the 98. The guys there said the bite had slowed down in the last couple days. Drove way up the canal past 78. The water is low and very clear and got a good idea of the contour of the canal for about 30 miles. I saw and spooked some nice channels and I believe a flathead, up from Myrtle drop.

Camped just downstream from the first drop north of hwy 8. I saw a guy haul out a 30+ lb flathead from that spot this spring, at 2 in the afternoon! Set out a pole with Gulp shad’s blood and one with bluegill. Nothing all night. The weather was perfect though.

Attached Files:

13. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks for the report Jeff. It is always nice to get out:wink:

14. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    sounds like they are getting ready to drain and grade it again. they do this every yr in dec. if you can find out when and want to stock up for meat, they've been allowing people to go harvest the fish that get caught in the pools and take home the last several yrs, unless that's changed. about 6 yrs ago they tried to grade the canal smooth and dozers got stuck on slippery fish in pools.
    not sure who to call to find out about it though. suggest starting with water district or F&G.
    gary

15. mako cat

mako cat New Member

State:
    San Diego
    I'll find out when they do this. I would really like to see the the empty canal. Where do the big fish go when its emptied?

16. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i heard that most swim back into AA canal, but don't know for sure. they shut it off slowly.
    gary

17. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Thanks Gary... Ok from now on I'll call the Glamis canal the cahilla canal.... I did check the map, and it sure looks as though when it finishes going through the cochella valley that it ends up at resevoir

Sharlene wend down to the ramp while I was sight fishing for LMBass in the river..... some giant carp there, and a real nice hole from the water that scours the bank that cuts around and island just south of the I-10

Used a slip float and a glob of crawlers to entice the bass... no takers, but as I was done.... threw the worm in and as it floated down the edge of the grass.... a little bass came up and enhailed it.... thats the way it goes..

Well, back to camp... but on the way went to the main palo verde canal and drove along the side til I got to a wier or gate and fished there for a bit... again the drift float.... should have thrown out some mack and weighted it down some....

Was going to walk over to the tent area to fish tonight... but stayed and did some snoozing..... got time tomorrow for that...

Still pissed that this butt head parked and cut off my am sunrise.. oh well... He is an out of stater from Florida... maybe they like to camp next to one another....:eek:oooh:

18. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    ROFLOL!!! Ican just see you now ranting and raving about this dick that parked next to you.... Damn.... Just like being there:smile2::wink:

19. gilmafam

State:
    California
    So look at it from my point of view...:wink:.
    Riverbud55's old place on the river...:roll_eyes:. right on the edge or bank of the river.....15 feet up the bank ...and his trailer looks right out on the water.....his ole tree is where the owl's do thier baby thing....:cool2:..
    He had a table out there .... you can just sit and look up and down the river.... like see miles off to the beautiful mountains to the East.....:cool2:
    The sunrises there are the greatest... and if there is no "valley smog" ..:big_smile:..
    I have many pictures taken from the River area....

Well... this jerk from Florida parked right in the path of the morning sun ..:angry:.
    This time of the year the sun comes up way low to the south east....over the maple trees that are changing color... and then warms up the overnight dew that is on the ground at my front door... where my table is... where I can sit and sip my coffee and enjoy the peace and quite. that one who is RETIRED....expects from his decision on where to camp to have great sunsets... and at least sunrises....

Im done.... Heading to the showers my friends....

20. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    ROFLOL!!! Love your post Ray!