Heading to Santee on 4-25-08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by scwolf, Apr 20, 2008.

1. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey guys,

We are Planning on Renting a boat out of the Rocks Pond area Friday and will be fishing Friday daytime as well as Friday night.

Any suggestions on some areas where the shallow water bite may be productive around Rocks Pond. Hope to have a good report after the slow bite we found in the Rediversion this past weekend.

Thanks, Robbie

2. CarolinaRig

CarolinaRig New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Anywhere around RP should be really good right now, it should be awesome at night. Good Luck!

3. Robbie, i fish that area and am doing alright fishing straight out from rock pond
    against island 16 in the cypress trees fishing at night w/ my best luck coming
    right around sunrise w/ cut herring.
    watch out for the garfish though, they out full force.
    good luck

4. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks guys.

Santee catman, have you been catching your own bait?, Was wondering how the bait is right now in that area. We usually buy a little bait to get started, then try to catch some bream and perch and hopefully some shad or herring with the cast net.

I was thinking of fishing the area around the Brickyard, that way it gives me access to shallow water and the deeper channel, I've just never fished the shallow water around the brickyard.

Thanks for the help.

5. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
    cats are starting to move real shallow again. Caught them off my dock last weekend, while doing yard work. Thats my go fishing signal when I can catcha bucket full fro the dock...15lbs biggest and that means there moving.

Water is back and just shy of where it should be.

Curt

6. Robbie, there is a bait shop right there at the corner of shortcut road and highway 6 'bout 2 miles from rock pond that has herring and also there is ned's on highway 45 that also has bait. Pm me if you need better directions.
    I've never gone up to the brickyard area , but there is a deep channel right there around island 16 that also has the deep water your looking for. But for me i haven't gotten any bites on the deep side of the boat at night. Deeper in the daytime is the ticket, but for the nightime bite there are tons of productive
    shallow areas right close to rock pond. just fish'em close to the trees.

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great plan. I don't know anything about the area, but I'm sure you will catch some good fish. Good Luck

8. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks alot Mark, We will be heading out around 9am Friday morning and be fishing the day and night, so hopefully the fish gods will smile on us this weekend. I appreciate all the help...I will definately post a report on Saturday evening.

9. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    Planning a trip to santee in the middle of june. Does anyone have input on the best way to catch the big cats at night on marion. New to the BOC so my not be doing this right.

10. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Brad
    Thats about the time things really start to get interesting........live bait (big bream and perch) fished in the canal late at night produce some really big flatheads and blues. The secret is patience.......dont be in a hurry....sometimes Ive anchored out in the canal and waited for over an hour without any bites and then get three in twenty minutes. Also the area in front of the dam that time of the year is very productive for blues and flatheads.

11. WELL I cant stand it no more. i'm gonna head to the lakehouse, get the boat loaded and wake up around2:00 thurs a.m. and try to get on some more shallow water action near rock pond.
    Hopefully i'll have a good report.

12. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Good luck,hopefully you will catch a boatload. We will be heading out of Rock's Friday sometime between 9 and 10am

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck on your trip. Might catch the next world record.

14. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    Robbie, if you leave rocks pond and go to the front of 16 island there is lots of shallows with holes around the rock ledges and they like them holes! the reason i know this is we bowfish this area alot and have real good luck there. hope ya'll have as much luck as we do. hope this helps.

GARY:smile2:

15. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks Gary,

We are also going to try the PVC Poles for anchoring. Hopefully the daytime bite will be good also, but if not I will have all day tomorrow to learn the area and decide where to set up at dark. Thanks for all the information guys, I will be sure to post as soon as we get back.

16. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Good luck, hope ya'll have a safe trip a ton of big cats!

17. Fishing report for thurs a.m. Hopefully Robbie will see before he leaves.
    Went out around 3 am and fished shallow right in cypress trees that had been producing w/ only 2 sm fish and those were on the deep side.
    not, sure what happened to the shallow water bite, but decided to
    go drift the channel east of island 16 and definitly saved my trip.
    I caught 3blues(one was 20 lb.) and now have a new p.b. flathead of
    31 lbs. Boy those things sure can fight. caught him on cut bait (herring).
    Mark

18. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for posting Mark, Just happen to check here before heading to bed. I will definately look to the shallows still but won't hang on to long before changing to the channel.

19. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Well we made it back from the lake, and although it wasn't a tournament winning trip, we caught some nice fish to fillet for the freezer(which was really low). Only problem was it makes me want my boat back I sold in January.

We searched all over friday during the day from all around sixteen Island all the way up to the brickyard, and out in the river channel, with no luck. We couldn't even find any perch or brim which we were wanting to try. All we could get with shad and herring were small channels and gars.

Finally we found a spot just before dark with some perch we caught for bait, after the wind layed down around 11am, we headed to the east side of sisteen island to the cypress trees about midway down. Ended up the night with 5 blues around 15lbs each, and one flat at 18lbs. All blues were caught on perch fillets, and the flat was caught on perch head. One time we set all the rods with perch but one and the gar only hit the one rod with shad. So all in all it was a good trip, great weather and relaxing time.
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

20. sounds like you had a good time ROBBIE, glad i could help.
    Those trees you were talking about were on the east side( deep creek side facing the diversion) how deep were they. i think those are pretty much the only trees on that side of the island if its the ones i'm thinking about.Did you catch those fish after 11pm or am and did you have any luck right as the sun was rising. i always seem to have an increase of bites at sunrise. i guess its like
    "last call for.... ) before heading to the deep.