Heading to santee on 11/7

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by smokkin99, Nov 1, 2008.

1. smokkin99

smokkin99 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Hi guys,

Sorry it been awhile but have not had a chance to do much fishing. With the lack of work and Bearfrog1's problems its hard to fish. Wish i had more friends with boats!! ( LOL )

But it looks like we will be down to give it shot thinkig of drifting in the day time then going to the canel for the night. Going to make it a weekend trip. Any ideas or help? We will be bring a doz bream then buy some shad when we get there.

2. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Yeah, we will be headed down Friday night. I plan to go dust off the pontoon and hopefully stay at Black's Camp. Plan to try a few places drifting on Moultrie Saturday daytime. (winds pending) Plan to go night fishing up on Marion on a few places that have been good to me this time of the year, in years past. Hopefully my goal will be achieved. (50 lb flathead) Came so close in 6/2006 but it was only 42 lbs.
    As always, will post afterwards. If anyone wants to link up with us, we would be happy to meet and fish with ya.
    Thanks,
    Jonathan
    bearfrog1@yahoo.com

3. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Just checked weather.com for Cross, SC. Looks like 11mph NW winds for next Sat. Any ideas for drifting Moultrie for that wind direction? I have 2 big driftsocks and know that part of drifting fine. Just want to make a good run in cat territory without constantly reeling in and cranking up the motor and moving and resetting. I usually like to drift with a SW or NE wind passing over humps near Bonneau beach to Pinopolis point in either direction. Never dealt with this wind direction.
    Any advice?
    Thanks,
    Jonathan

4. smokkin99

smokkin99 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yep we are going to give a try. Hoping to put some meat in the freezer.

5. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Yeah wife let me know last week that the freezer is now catfishless. Sad huh? Just gotta find out how the wind will be for drifting. weather.com now says for Cross, SC winds W12mph. That gives me some ideas on a good drift patter targeting shelfs towards the east dike. We may come into some fish. Anyone got anything to add as far as this wind direction and Moultrie drifting areas that produce this time of the year?
    Thanks,
    Jonathan
    bearfrog1@yahoo.com

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Johnathan I wish I could help you but if I told you what i know then i would have to kill you.:smile2::smile2: Sorry not much help but I havent been to the lake in over a month so I will tell you to catch lots of white perch in the canal and use them cut for bait. Also dont be scared to get into some shallower 4-10' of water during the daytime.:wink: Good luck and gives a good report caus I hope to be going in a few weeks.

7. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Dang Alex,
    Looks like the weather is changing it's mind more than my wife does...
    Santee Saturday, Thunderstorms early. Winds WSW 11mph. That isn't too fast for that lake but I fear the lightning. May need to go down Friday, get a room, play it by ear and go night fish after the storms pass on Saturday. Who knows.
    Jonathan

8. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Looks like Sunbird is gonna join us! We spoke last night and ran our cellphone bills up for atleast 2 hours. (It was awesome speaking with you last night Sunbird, or Rambo; whatever you go by) This just goes to show you what this website is all about. Strangers with common interests can call one another up and talk like highschool buddies about fishing. I just had to say that. I'M GLAD I FOUND THIS SITE AND SIGNED UP BACK THEN!!!
    Anyways, I checked the weather again today and it is still saying early T-storms Saturday. May alter the plans some and start out night fishing Saturday night for Flatheads and drift Sunday. It is supposed to be clear and perfect Sunday and Monday. Too bad I gotta be back in town Sunday night or wife will throw a shoe at me. I'll start a new post with the report when we get back.
    Thanks,
    Jonathan

9. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Berfrog1, I had started to wonder if this thread was exclusive to you and smokin99. :wink: I saw James post so I am gonna get brave and try. :smile2:

I'm looking forward to fishing with you and Alex. For those of you who don't know Bearfrog1 and I have the same first name, Jonathan. We are gonna be Jonathan (2) or squared! :cool2: The fish have no chance! :eek:oooh::wink: I haven't been to Santee in several weeks so I'm not entirely clear what is goin on....... Roundhill, how bout throw us a bone? A (PM) would also be fine if you don't want "you know who" to know. :smile2::smile2:

It appears that I may not be fishing in the Hill's tournament on the 15-16 of Nov. The brother I was going with may not be able to go. :sad2::sad2: I still want to! Anyone out there interested in MAYBE going with me or me going with you :big_smile: Please let me know. I want to go and I might just do so alone if I have too:sad2::big_smile: Don't leave me hangin brothers!

Now, ROUNDHILL oh, ROUNDHILL, I know you out there!

10. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    No, this isn't an exclusive post...lol
    I just have a habit of talking alot. Or typing. Whatever.
    Just been off the site for too long and am glad to be back. Even more glad to be able to go fishing again!
    Jonathan

11. smokkin99

smokkin99 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Glad to have aboard Rambo. Its starting to look better for Sat. Hopefully we can bring a cooler full home. Bearfrog told me that you 2 talked. Three heads are better than 2. I will be eager to learn some new things from ya.

12. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    the weather will be good from Thursday on threw the weekend the fish last wk weer scattered I'm going down wednesday for the rest of the wk i will be making reports Daley the bate of chose right now skip jack if you got um or shad a close second fresh mullet if your coming from the beach give me a call if i can help i will. the roundhill

13. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Thanks for the reply Roundhill. My word I promise I'll book a trip by Spring with you. Thanks again for chiming in. Hopefully the cats will cooperate with us this weekend.
    Jonathan

14. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'll also be fishing on Friday.

15. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Where you gonna be? We can link up and maybe swap ideas. We plan to go Friday now and night fish first. Drift on Saturday and maybe night again Saturday night. Will try to stay at Black's 1st choice or Harry's second choice.

16. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Johnathan I think Harrys is running a 1/2 price sale for the month of November and Canal Lakes is running a buy 2 nights get the 3rd free. Canal lakes will put you closer to where you want to fish and is not that much further by boat than Blacks. Plus you can catch some nice white perch in the center of the canal under the bridge.:wink:

17. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Perch?:eek:oooh:

I want to put ole' Pop Pop's "smackaroo smackdown" on some cats!

Ok, I guess we will need bait.:wink:

18. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I'm jealous. :confused2: My daughter's car is acting up and Dad's leaves need getting up. Both are in Asheville, so that's where I'll be tomorrow. And to think, the lake is full of cat's that's never been caught. :roll_eyes: Maybe next weekend!