Heading to Santee Friday

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catlow37, Jul 30, 2008.

1. catlow37

catlow37 Member

State:
    Union, SC
    Well me, my brother and nephew will be heading to Santee early friday morning. My brother and I started planning this trip before in Janurary before we left Afghainstan. We will be staying at Harry's on friday night. My original plan for this trip was to drift the short stay area and maybe russleville flats friday morning and fish the shallows around harrys on friday night. From my understanding the water level is pretty low now so my question is is this still a good plan or do i need to drop back and punt. Also, I read on a previous thread where you can catch perch at both ends of the canal. what type of rig do you use, time of day and how do you catch them? Any help in these areas would be greatly appreciated.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    When drifting, I prefer to use a 3-way rig with a circle hook. Time of day is dependent on too many factors, I would just plan on all day!:wink:

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Lonnie the perch can be caught at both ends usinga sabiki rig or just tie a hook on and put a few split shot about 6" above it and fish on the bottom with red worms. Drifting around short stay would be a great choice and try using some fresh shad or herring also. You can catch some big herring at the locks right now at night with a cast net or sabiki rig. Good luck and send us a good report back.

4. catlow37

catlow37 Member

State:
    Union, SC
    Thanks James, I have a bait tank so I plan on keeping the bait alive. Depends on what type bait I can find when i get there as to what I use. I don't have a sabiki rig and can't find one so i will use the split shot method. Once again thanks for the info.

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I was catching some nice perch on the Moultrie end of the canal and the split shot method works just fine.

6. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Good luck on keeping the bait alive. Water temp is 84+. Might want to throw a little ice in there on a regular basis. Bream hang in there pretty good, but the perch struggle. Put a hook through his back and fish with him and he'll stay alive for 4 hours.......put him in a bad livewell and he's dead in 4 minutes

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I caught most everything on filleted perch but never had a problem with any of them dying but they never have been know to very hardy fish though.

8. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I know if this helps or not, but I catch white perch on Lake Greenwood using small minnows just off the bottom about a foot. I would guess it would work at Santee as well.

9. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    We had a hard time catching perch at the Moultrie end of the canal this weekend. I sure was glad we allowed 3 hrs to catch bait.

10. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    the easiest way i have tried to catch alot of perch fast is to tie a what looks like a 3 way rig without the swivels. i just use a 3/8 to half ounce bank sinker. a little slice of worm on a small hook. i tie this on a medium action or lighter rod. that way u can detect the finicky bites. catch all the perch you want lol because they are everywhere. the bigger ones can fight pretty decent. there are some big ones in NC that go up the rivers from the ocean, i dont mind catching them :).

also the heavier weight helps get the bait to the bottom faster in the canal and helps you detect bites better.

11. fisherman63650

fisherman63650 New Member

State:
    missouri
    were are the locks at to catch hearing with a throw net Im coming aug 10th from mo need any help i can get we are staying at harrys fish camp thanks for any help

12. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Locks are 20 miles east of Harry's. At the price of gas you'd be as well off to buy herring at Harry's. Good luck, and throw the bigguns back

13. fisherman63650

fisherman63650 New Member

State:
    missouri
  14. catlow37

catlow37 Member

State:
    Union, SC
    Well I have returned from Santee. Caught 2 fish both in the 3-4 pound range. We got on the water around 8:30 am and ran down to Moultrie. The wind was too rough for my boat so I was forced to drift the canal (without any success) fish until about 2 pm and went to relax for a while. Went back out about 7 pm and fished until midnight (shallow water near Harrys). The two fish were caught that night. The highlight of the trip was I had the opprotunity to meet a member of the BOC mf7406 (Mark) he hooked me up with some Sabiki rigs and showed me how to catch the white perch. Thanks Mark. Did not catch many fish but as they say a bad day on the Lake is better than a good day at work.

PS. The water looked to be down about 3-4 foot.

15. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well at least you caught a few cats. Im not a big fan of the canal but the lakes can get pretty rough and that is the only option. Come on back down in Sept. for the BOC Gathering and amybe we can get you on some more fish.

16. Flatheadzz

Flatheadzz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ride to the dam throw a cast net around the walls. If you try it in the daytime make sure you extend your cast net rope to get to the bait. I marked them yesterday from 25' to 40'.Sabeiky rigs can be bought at any walmart or bait store around the coast. I know they have them at Walmart in Moncks Corner just down the road from Short Stay. Fishing is good in the Southern part of the lake in around 30 - 55'. Find some Herring and cut them, if your drifting it dosent matter they will eat it up.

17. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    David welcome to the BOC. Glad to have another Lkae Moultrie man on here. Those are some big herring at the dam right now. Make great cutbait.