Heading to Rend Lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfish1969, Jul 25, 2008.

1. catfish1969

catfish1969 New Member

State:
    ILL.
    Heading to Rend Lake in a couple weeks been there before, but any input on channels and flattys would be cool, also hitting some of the reservoirs in the area. any good spots to catch Shad??? only get that way at best once a year and only have a week... always heard the north end of the lake was the area... Thanks!!!

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    right now the channels are hitting in shallow water. right now shad are easier to find under the bridges. as far as flatheads go, yeah, ive heard and seen most of em caught in the north forks of the lake or the west end of gun creek. ive only caught a couple flats out of rend this year and they were from the bank at the bonnie dam. if you go to either of these areas make sure you have a good map or a depthfinder. the lake is still pretty high, but stumps are always a danger.

3. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've been fishing Rend for the past month every weekend. I put in at Gun Creek and drift the entire area using garlic shrimp. Best day we had 30 nice channels in the livewells, worst day we only had 18. As far as flats go, I am going to try the northern end up in the stumpfields next weekend, Ill let you know how it turns out. By the way, chances are while your there, I will be too might have to keep an eye out for each other.

4. catfish1969

catfish1969 New Member

State:
    ILL.
    Hoping to head that way on the 4th of Aug. won't get no fishing done on the 4th but hopefully the days to follow. Maybe I will see ya (Kojak) I was thinking there was an area called big Island that was a good area...

5. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    if ya wanna find the big island put in at the turnip patch and head straight east.

6. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Hey, My wife and I went to Rend on Monday, and caught 63,then went to Carlyle on Tuesday, and caught 33. They all came out in the middle of the lake :wink: P.S Went to Rocky Point, down in Southern In today
    ,and caught 28.Biggest was 8.50
    BIGCAT GarryEads

7. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    went out there today, but didnt get to do much fishing. we put in at the ramp on the south side of 154, they call "the wall". it was a hot mid-afternoon so we started off by going to the beach and doing a little swimming. the conservation cops stopped us after that but they were pretty cool. (turns out 2 were ex-navy, that helped) a little later we caught some gills and went up into a cove at gun creek. i had been drifting for like 10 minutes with just a couple pecks and all of a sudden i just got this wierd, uncomfortable feeling like i needed to get off the water. didnt see any clouds moving in or anything, but i just knew something wasnt right. so we went back over to the wall and loaded up, and when we got back, maybe like an hour later, a huge storm rolled through outta nowhere!

8. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I guess thats why your going into the navy, you have water in your veins. They will be lucky to have you. When the weather report sais isolated t-storms..i guess thats what they mean, I didn't see a drop of rain in West Frankfort.

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    well either that, or i know how to fight pirates. you are always welcome in my boat, brother. consider yourself a local.:wink:

10. catfish1969

catfish1969 New Member

State:
    ILL.
    Heading Out tommarow towards Rend Lake have a 5 1/2 to 6 hour drive to get there won't fish tommarow but hope to be on things tuesday my first thing will be to locate bait and hopefully get it as quick as I can so I can spend more time on the water....:wink:

11. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    good luck out there. try the shallow water first. thats where ive been having the most luck.take good care of my lake:wink: