Heading to Red Rock for a few days.

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Burwell40, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Taking off this Thursday for a much anticipated trip to Red Rock. We'll have most of the day Thursday and all day Friday and Saturday to fish. Looks like the weather will be warm...not sure if that's good or bad. I would rather see cooler water I think.

Has anyone been fishing Red Rock lately? I seldom see any posts about it. But then, I seldom see any posts about anything...:smile2:

I went fishing on Coralville yesterday for the first time since the tournament the weekend prior. We were only out for a couple of hours and caught 3 nice ones. Looked like filet/gut was the preferred bait but could only get on filet/gutter size in the upper res. Talked to a friend who fished a couple of times last week and the bite was a little slow for him as well. Nice sized fish, just fewer of them. I'm hoping as the water cools into the 50's, the fall bite might pick up a little.

On another note, the fall scenery is picking up nicely. It's hard to find a prettier scenic cruise than Coralville Lake in October. Leave your poles at home, take the wife or someone in your boat and cruise slowly down and back. Every bend has something new and pretty to look at.

Later all,

Mike.

2. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Good luck, hope you have a good trip, let us know how you do.

3. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Aren't they lowering redrock to work on the dam? Be careful.

4. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Lower Red Rock??? I hadn't heard that. Hope the boat ramps are still usable.

5. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    nope sorry for the misadvice but that is scheduled for the fall of 07. they plan ahead a long ways.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck man, hope ya get some big uns.

7. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I can't tell you much about Red Rock other than that the spillway is an awesome place to hit early in June for flatheads. As far as the main body of water goes I'm sure your Coralville techniques will work just fine. At least this time of the year the pleasure boats are almost obsolete. Good luck. Let us know how you did.

8. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We had a grand time at Red Rock. The weather was wonderful though a bit windy. On Thursday we caught 17 fish between two boats over a couple of hours fishing with a pair of 8+ for bigs. Friday, it was 13 fish between the two boats. I have to admit, by brothers-in-law in the other boat caught the majority of the fish over my boat with two young nephews doing the fishing.
    Saturday, we only took one boat out and it was really slow...only one fish. Still, a very nice weekend.

Mike.