Heading to Oklahoma and need some help.

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Parasite, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Parasite

Parasite New Member

State:
    N.Colorado
    Hey guys, I'm thinking about heading out to Tulsa in early april and was wondering what some good spots for monster flatheads are in the area. We don't have big cats or even flatheads were I live so I would like to catch some. If you guys would be so kind to tell me wheres good I would deeply appreciate it. Also If there are some hot baits and rigs in the area. Thanks a lot guys I look forward to hearing what yall have to say. One more thing, how many rods am I allowed to have wet? Thanks.:big_smile:

P.S. I am catch and release ONLY.

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Jake,

I know we have some monster flatheads around here, I just don't know where they are. When you head to Tulsa, gimme a hollar, maybe we can get together while you are here.

Oh, and depending on how long you are gonna be here, check out the Keystone Gathering thread, it is the BEST gathering I have ever been to.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    With an Oklahoma license, your entitled to seven poles in the water at one time.... and when you get tired of watching them, you can crawl into the water and noodle whatever you want. Keystone probably will have the large flatheads and depending on where you fish, you may not need a boat. They also have some large blues.

4. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    if you want to catch on rod and reel, the biggest flatheads you'll catch will be on the caney river

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Youd probably be better off fishing for blues this time of the year. Your chances of catching a fish will be a lot better.Maybe in a month, month in a half for flatheads to start up again.

6. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
  7. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    The Verdigris river basin which includes the Verdigris river, Caney, and the numerous creeks that feed this basin is the best flathead fishery I believe not just Oklahoma but anywhere. There's tons of flatheads in the 20 to 40 pound range along with a healthy population over 50 pounds. There's 70 to 80 plus pounders taken each year from this basin. The 24 miles of river above Oolagah is my favorite for numbers and size....if your willing the upper end of the lake is great too but dangerous with the winds, shallow water, stumps and other dangers.

8. KingCatBradsPup

KingCatBradsPup New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i live here fished here my whole life but i've always been told you're allowed two poles in water at one time???? have i been completely mislead or is that 7 pole rule only good for private land and creeks and rivers?

9. handyronokc

handyronokc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma ( Central )

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/fishregs/statewide_regulations.htm

Hey look on the bright side, Now you can go buy those other rigs you been wanting :big_smile:

10. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    someones been lying to you :big_smile:

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/2008fishregs.pdf

11. KingCatBradsPup

KingCatBradsPup New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    well thank you very much our city lake regs are 2 per person or so the signs say

12. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    My understanding is that for city lakes/ponds, they can have special restrictions. Check and see if your city lake is one of the "close to home" lakes and see if the regs are listed for your particular body of water.

Special Restrictions

I know while most of the state has no limit for white bass, below Oolagah dam you are restricted to a combined limit of no more than 20 sandies, hybrids, and stripers.

Close to Home info

good luck!

13. Randy Jones

Randy Jones New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Welcome to OK. there are diff. pole limits all over like below Kerr dam only 2 may be used within 1000 feet of the dam but most lakes you can use 7 just check your regs or rules wherever you are fishing just to make sure them tickets can get expensive. Have a fun trip

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Chaz, just saw your question...let me answer it this way. GENERALLY you can have 7 poles in the water. It all depends upon where your fishing. Some bodies of waters do have restrictions on the number of poles, and the tailwaters of Corp of Engineer Lakes have a two pole limit. Best advise is just to tell you to thoroughly investigate the stretch of water you are going to fish.

15. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    I live in Tulsa and fish in Tulsa County 90% of the time. You shoot me a PM, and can give you a real good idea where to start for big flats or blues.

16. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    good luck when you go hope you catch a bunch

17. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    My grandfather and my father brought me up fishing for flathead and channelcat in the Verdigris River. Grandpa taught me to noodle in the Verdigris

I remember several weekend fishing trips from the river with me riding in the back of the pickup on the huge catfish, making sure they didn't flop out on the rough dirt and gravel highway of 1955.

We didn't weigh them, or even show them off... we just took them to the barn, hung them on the hayhook and cleaned them. They were food, pure and simple. And such pure simple food it was, deep fried catfish, hushpuppies and fried apple pies, all cooked under the canopy of God's moonlight and served under a blanket of stars.

Yes, those were pure, simple, innocent times. I would that we all could return to them once again.