Heading to Lake Moultrie Feb 5-8 Where should I stay?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by buster1395, Feb 2, 2009.

1. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    Well I thought I might try something new this time at Santee and stay somewhere closer to the damn if possible. I always stay at Blacks or Hill's when I go but since we are going to be fishing deeper water on the opposite end of Moultrie near the damn I wanted to get some suggestions on where to stay. Anyone got any good ideas for me? We are just looking for something with decent sleeping arrangements kinda like Blacks and somewhere we can get a bite to eat and clean our fish if the 2 guys with me decide to keep any. We will be drifting areas between markers 2-10 so we want to stay at any place closer to that than Blacks is.

2. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 New Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Buster, you could stay at Atkins landing. Have stayed there for years, but don't get me wrong-"It's a typical fish camp". They don't have a restaurant like Black's, but moncks corner(town) is less than 5 minutes away. You can put in there and you're already at the dam. Try to get trailer #5- one of the nicer ones and it's right at the bait house. I'll send you a pm with their contact info to be on the safe side.

3. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    ok thanks, I got the pm.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Be sure to ask about the safest way in and out of Atkins. There are stumps out there if you go the wrong route. Follow the east shoreline until you get into deeper water before getting on plane. Good luck with the fishing, but Atkins may not have any bait; unless you plan to catch your own, it might be a good idea to pick some up on your way down. :smile2:

5. nick81

nick81 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    we've been staying at hills and driving to atkins...It's only a 20 min drive from hills.

6. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    If any one has military ID Short Stay Naval Recreation Area is very nice. No restaurant but Moncks Corner is 5 miles. It is right there at the dam.

7. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    I'll be sure to ask about the safest way in and out of atkins to the channel markers. I got a reservation down there at Trailer #5 if anyone wants to stop by and say hi. We will post reports while we are there. They dont have a restaurant and the bait shed is closed so we got to find some bait on the way down I guess. If anyone has any ideas where I can buy gizzard shad between Columbia and Moncks Corner let me know. Im sure I can stop by Blacks and get some herring to last me a couple days.

Any ideas where we can catch some bait with a net near atkins? I been catching perch in the canal but thats might be out of the question unless we can find some perch in the main lake.

8. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Chris, Send "Sunbird" a Pm about buying bait near Columbia on your way down.:wink: The bait tank you have will keep'em alive for your trip :wink:.