Heading to bernice bridge

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by zoelife, Jul 30, 2006.

1. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well,the cats have been hitting good thelast few wekends so I am going to go again tonight.
    blues/whites and some channel.They usually stat hitting around dark and keep up until I leave,around 1-3am.
    I will be the one with the big meat hunter pole and a few white poles..
    Maybe some of ya will get a wild hair and decide to come on out.
    Peace andplenty,
    Kevin

2. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    So, that's what happened to them?

We have been fishing around the boat ramp there the last couple weeks and were doing pretty good until the last few days.

I think the water is so low, they have moved out to the deeper water?

What have you been using for bait?

We might be out there Monday night?

Ken

3. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    maybe it is.If my profile pic comes up then you will se the nice 15# I caught last night,sunday..
    Kevin

4. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    OK.I got my avatar next to my posts,which I also made my profile pic.But it is the blue I caught last night at bernice.my biggest cat ever.caught it on perch I believe,although I was also using hybrid bass filets as well.I usually use cut shad but for some reason I could not catch any last night in my cast net.
    I usually go on sunday nights Ken as the traffic is slow and not alot of people.This one was particularly fun getting in.I was on the area next to the bridge and when you catch them you usually have to take them to the rocks or make sure that someone is there to hold the pole while you go over the edge to net them,,,well...I went over the side to get down to him and thats when I noticed the water was low..and I also noticed that my net was too small..so in the end I ended up falling in:embarassed: and swimming about 30 yards to the rocks right behind this lunker,luckily there were a few guys there and one of them towed the boy to the rocks and as I was huffing and puffing I pulled him up and strung him up..:big_smile:
    I caught him on a 7/0 circle with perch chunk and my new meat hunter custom 12ft. rod which my AWESOME wife bought for me on my birthday this month..I use 3 circles average per pole and when I looked closer he had one on each side of his mouth.
    I also caught 5 others ranging from 3-6#.
    It was definetly a blast..many have also been catching smaller flatheads around the area.
    Peace and plenty,Kevin:smile2:

5. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Good catch there!
    I've also caught my biggest fish there, a 48 pound spoonbill last summer, what a blast!

We have been fishing there at the second boat ramp there at the park and doing pretty good until the last week or so, the water is to low?
    We also fish there next to the bridge, but it is a little hard getting fish of any size up without walking them down to the end of the dock, unless you have a long net.

I have one of them nets from Wally World and I drilled holes in the handle and I've got a piece of half inch steel water pipe I slip in there to extend it and it works pretty good.

Were you fishing straight out, or off to the right?
    How far out were they?

I was going to try and get out there tonight, but I think we are going to wait until tomorrow when I get off of work?

Ken

6. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Ken,
    off to the right is where I fish at the very end.straight out from the corner..maybe 25 yards out possibly a bit further..
    Kevin

7. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    So you have to work tonight??my schedule is 3.5 on 3.5 off..I am off until wenesday til noon.
    kevin

8. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Yeah, that's usually where I catch mine, I like that corner spot?

If you can get out and over far enough, there's a little channel that runs through there and I've done pretty good there.

It's too bad that little dock doesn't run all the way across, or at least half way?

After seeing your pic, I think I remember seeing you out there a couple weeks back?
    We are pretty easy to spot, when we go fishing, it looks like we are moving in with all the junk we bring?

Maybe we'll see ya out there sometime?

Ken

9. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    well Ken I would send you pm's..but I have to have 10 posts before i CAN.. :roll_eyes: Kevin

10. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yea LOL...we have started using a red wagon to haul all of our stuff..LOL..the wife came up with that one..Kevin

11. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I've thought about using a wagon, but I don't have any room to put it.:big_smile:

This week I'm off Thurs. and Fri.
    We usually get out there around 11:30 - 12pm and stay until 3am or so, depending on how they are biting?

I'm headed to work now so I'll catch you later and maybe some night we'll catch each other out there and do a little fishing?

Ken

12. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Well, we decided to give it a try when I got off work and nothing.

We didn't try the bridge, we tried the other side of the highway a couple miles down as your headed to Monkey Island.

We had tried there the other night and got some pretty good bites, but we only caught a few perch.

We thought we'd give it another try and I think they just laughed at us because we didn't even have one smell our bait, and believe me, the liver I'm using, I think they can smell it in Kansas.:big_smile:

Ken

13. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    well I will be back out next sunday.
    Kevin

14. dobbie

dobbie Member

we had pretty good luck on jugs just south of bernice bridge Friday night.We used perch and sandbass chunks for bait.

15. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Hope to see one of you all at the bridge tonight. Thought i may try my luck there. I'll be the one with a huge tackle box and only one pole.

16. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Were you out there Monday (8/7/06) night around 11:30 pm?
    There were a couple vehicles there when we passed, headed to the park?

We talked about trying the bridge, but didn't want to carry everything down, so we went to the park and checked out the boat ramp area?
    As low as the water was, I think we could have fished the bridge area from the park?

We decided to go below the dam and if anything was going on there and all we got was a big goose egg. I think they had a gate open, because the water was flowing pretty good, but we didn't get a single bite.

Ken

17. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Ken,

I had just left the bridge about the time you came thru. got to the bridge at about dark and never even got a bite on anything i tried. liver, danny kings, perch,shad and even some dip bait. hope we all have better luck next time.

18. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We got out there sunday night around 6pm. noticed the water was low.but stayed anyway..caught about 5 nice blues and a few channels.But it was pretty slow.we ended up leaving about 1am.
    May stay away until we get a good rain..
    Kevin

19. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    If we don't get some some good rains, there isn't going to be any place left to fish.
    We haven't tried Bernice our last couple trips.
    We went below the dam the other night, but didn't do any good.

I would like to go to Bernice this weekend, but not sure if we'll make it?

Ken

20. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yea definetly need more rain.What little bit we got friday was just enough to make humidity lol...
    Dont think I will make it out to bernice for my usual sunday evening fishing until we can get some more rain.
    From what I read recently in the GRAND LIFE paper(free on newstands)They are lowering the lake so that some wild millet will be accessable for wild birds.The author was very astute in commenting that the birds have been flying this way for centuries and always found enough to eat during that time without our help.his biggest complaint was the lake gets so low it gets pretty hairy for the boaters since all the damaging tree trunks and such start being closer to the surface.
    Well,if you go I wish you luck.
    Peace and plenty.
    Kevin