Heading Out West

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by deepwoods, Sep 27, 2009.

1. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    I am off to Wyoming for a 8 day elk hunting trip. We have been planning this for 3 years and the time has finally come!!!

Fly to Cody, 21 miles on a horse into the mountains, 6 days of hunting and then back out. The outfitters camp is on the Shosone river. This is considered one of the best wild trout rivers in the lower 48 and yes I am bringing my ultra light gear and my Panther Martin spinners. To catfish in Wyoming you have to go to the Cody Reservior (I checked).

The weather report is great low in the 20s, high in the 50s with a chance of snow and rain every day (sounds like duck hunting weather). Up until now it has been very dry and hot so the weather should get them moving.

I will report back and hopefully with some pictures of our success and the great outdoors.

Good fishing (and hunting) to all

Regards,

Jeff

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Jeff don,t be like Jim in your pics, let us see you, not just somebodies hand:wink:

Hope ya'll have a great time hunt'n an fishing on your trip

3. Bowyer

Bowyer New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for letting us know. I will be in a tree stand or reeling in something wondering how you’re doing. Keep us updated. Wish you the best on your trip!

4. hillbillygurl

hillbillygurl New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good luck and hope you get something big!!:big_smile:

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Dont listen to all these jealous guys Jeff that wished fish jumped into their hands like they do for me.Hell I saved a ton of money on fishing equipment.:smile2::big_smile:Good luck.you will need it elk arent easy... ever.However if you can hold one in one hand and take a picture of it I'll pay for the film.:smile2:

6. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    Well no elk...but some incredible memories. I saw at least 10 bulls and did not have a single shooter get in range. The group that I went with was committed only to shoot a mininum of a 5 by 5. I had a big 6 by 6 get 479 yards from me with a 25 mile cross wind. I was ready to take a shot if he got 400 yards but something spooked him.

Commentary
    We were in one of the most secluded areas in the lower 48. 22 miles in by horse or mule into the Shosone wilderness area. Every morning up by 3 on a horse by 4 and sometimes a 2 hour ride to hunt. I never saw or heard another hunter or saw signs anyone else being in the area. Ten years ago in this area you could see 50 elk a day, we were lucky to see a handful. The winters have been mild in the last few years and most of the wildlife populations seemed to be flurishing. Here is the problem...I saw no less than 12 grizzly bears, the were everwhere and always hunting the same elk we were. The states of Wyoming, Montana and Idaho tried to take them off the endangered species list and a very liberal federal judge in the area put them back on. This judge was appointed by Clinton and is there for life. He has a record of favoring the PETA type groups in most of his decisions. All biologists in the area agree bears should be taken off the list, the species is thriving. They are distroying the elk population. You combine this with a similar problem with wolves we are very close to virtually eliminating elk in the Yellowstone border areas. It is amazing we are not letting biologists make these decisions and letting a politically biased judge do it.

I love elk hunting, it is one of the most physically challenging types of hunting there is (Big horn sheep and mountain goats win this one) and I now have to go to either Canada or a private property hunt to enjoy it. The Ecobalance of the area is being distroyed due to politics.

I feel better. It was 8-10 degrees every morning and snowed 4 days but it was still unbelievable.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  7. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    sorry you did not get an elk but it sounds like you really enjoyed the hunt

8. Bowyer

Bowyer New Member

State:
    NC
    I’m a little late responding to your post. I have taken a sabbatical from fishing since hunting season started. Sounds like you had an incredible trip. Glad to hear you’re back safe and getting out on the lake again.

9. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thats hunting but that still would be a great trip to me to see all the wilderness