Heading out tonight....

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by gilmafam, Feb 15, 2008.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    PlumberTom1 and myself... (Bayrunner Ray) are going to Lakr Nacimeinto, near Paso Robles tonight..... got the week off and will be targeting anything that catches.....mostly the white bass which are good size and fun to catch on light tackle... 4lb line... jointed fatraps with a 30in leader and then a swivel to prevent the twist...and Tom will slay em with the lead heads.....

Usually there are plenty of "spots"... large mouth bass, and we will get in several sits on some likely cat holes..... Would be nice to use some big live bait, but will be limited to shad for the live stuff....Mostly we'll use some "sonnies" and the usual mack for the cats....However... I've caught the cats on the troll while fishing for the white bass...

Should be a great trip.... Tom and I have fished it together before, and he is a vetran of the place as the lived there back a bit.....

We will be sure to take some pics of this place as it is great for picture taking.....

Talk to you all next weekend..... Bayrunner Ray

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Goodluck to you, I hope to read some good fishing stories tomorrow.

3. gilmafam

State:
    California
    got to wait a week for the stories..... were fishing for 1 week....

bayrunner ray

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Good Luck to you & Tom out there Ray. :cross:
    :0a23:
    :wink:

5. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Hey Gang... sorry for the delay on getting back to ya'll, but I' ve been somewhat busy cleaning up and getting back to work after a week off:cool2:

Wish that I had some "wild adventure" tales and pics to share with you, but as you all know, fishing can have all kinds of stories.....

Tom and I departed the shoping center where we meet, and headed out of LA in the "slow lane" as on a three day weekend it's a "bear" getting out of town even at 8:30 PM..... drove for 4 hrs and pulled into a rest stop and spent the night with 60 miles to go to the lake..... My buddy George had saved us a camping spot..... not that he had too, as the we were two families out of some five that were there to enjoy the comming rain......

The lake (Nacimiento) is still down some 50 ft., and was very dirty with the debris .... floating trees, bark.... you name it .... it was all there....

Had the usual fog to put up with in the mornings, and so we had a leisure breakfast before heading out each day.....

Fishing was slow.... marked some fish at the the thrermal cline, but nothing on top at all....... no shad no birds working.....

Even the local Bass boys were "scratching" for the non-existant fish....

Tom and I took the ride in the boat to the "narrows" where the water come into the lake and the water was clear... and looking good... very cool at 53 degrees......

Tom tried many times to throw a "lead head" out to "likely spots" as we trolled the various spots "looking for some action"

My motor gave us some problems when the "pee tube" quit doing its thing, and I thought that the water pump had gone out.....got back to the docks with the front trolling motor doing it thing... thank God ...no wind at that time......

I did catch the only "white" bass.... fat little female with un-developed eggs...

but that was it for the trip.... two boats and for 4 days.....

We encountered some problems trying to fish other lakes, where the accomodations sucked..... no open campsites, lake ramp not working..... and my boat qot quarenteened for having water in it...... Muscle crap.....

So, I have some pics of the Eagles in Tablas creek, and some sunset pics .... wish we had more fish pic to show, but that is fishing.......

Bayrunner Ray

6. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Well, here are several more pics of the "fishing and not catching trip"

See y'all at Mendota????:0a18:

Bayrunner Ray :0a23:

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sometimes fishing is just about being out there. It looks like you got some real quality photos.

8. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Couple more pics of the scenery and why I go for a 4+hr drive to get there.....

bayrunner Ray

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana