Heading out tomorrow am... Looking for new water

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by gilmafam, Aug 5, 2009.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Well gang... its prime time in the summer.... not the best moon... "but got to get out of town":wink:...
    Going to look for some new water.... :0a22:

Maybe do some aqueduct fishing off the I-5 at Avenal cutoff, and head to the town of Lemore and Hwy 41 to check out the lower end of the Kings River....I have fished the Kings near the town of Kingsburg, but never lower down....

Then its up to Elkhorn road, and east over to the Fresno slough water that is around the the town of Burrel....From there over to hwy 145 and up near the town of Helm, and check out the James Bypass and Fresno Slough for fishing access.

From there, I plan to spend the night at spot off the "James Road" and see what that part of Mendota Slough has to offer....

Going to do a rather "zig-zag" trip as I'm going to hit up Bob's Bait bucket in Bakersfield to check into some new "stink".. and other "not needed" items, and then the scenic route back to I-5 and head up north to do the fishing....

I hear that "catman Cali" (Sean) may join up with me along with Daistarchis "Robb", and maybe "Fred" the "fresno Boys".

Get back to ya with some pics.... oh, here is two pics that I took off Hwy 33 going to Mendota.... Good fishing access.. "San Luis Canal" part of the California Aqueduct...

see ya all.....

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Ray, any time I'm heading home from the Fresburg area and amnot in a hurry I take 41 to the I-5 just to stop there where the Kings crosses the 41 by Lemore and drop a line for a few minutes.
    I've had pretty good luck at puling a few crappie out just below the gate and around the other structure on mi jigs even caught a few small LMB. The chartreuse with orange heads and white jigs have produced the best fore there.
    Havem't caught any cats there but the river side of the gates sure looks fishy. Maybe I just haven't given it enough effort with the right bait.
    Last time I was by there a couple of weeks ago there was a lot of people fishing it, but it was on a week end.
    Just west of that spot there are a lot of places along the river that look like they would be good for cats but you would need to park your RV close to the road and take your ATV along the river trail because the road is very rough. I had no problem in my 4x4 but I don't think you would want to try it in your Winnie.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009

3. mangles

mangles New Member

State:
    california
    Well good luck to you sir, hope you trip produces many fish!

4. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Thanks for the tip Tom.... might have to check that place some day... but the place that I had in mind is kind of secluded somewhat (I hope)... at first, I thought that the bridge was a small one... but as I looked further.. it is a train bridge... so I can't drive across it.... but I checked, and I should be able to park close by and ride the quad there... looks rather "fishie" in google...

check it out...

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=36.289878,-119.861784&spn=0.004255,0.01384&z=16

I'm trying to find spots that are mostly "locals only":smile2::smile2:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  5. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    You know I'm there. Fred said he is going to show on Saturday and I hope Robb makes it out. If not, I'll bring my lil champ out for some extra company.:wink: We can talk football and wrestling.

6. gilmafam

State:
    California
    And maybe talk fishing and beer too:wink:.....:smile2:......:cool2:

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    So when will you be in town Ray? I may be able to call in Sick Friday. You got my cell #:wink:

8. gilmafam

State:
    California
    I got it... but your tied up and need the $$$$.... maybe after work...:wink:

9. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    Ray, Bob's bait bucket has Sonny's,Hogwild,and Danny king's I was just there last Saturday but they have a good selection of frozen and live bait, take a gander of their watch kitty....fattest cat i think i have ever seen:smile2:

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Boss just gave me Friday off. So i will be out there around 7 am Friday:wink:

11. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Thanks Ray... I think that I need to re-fresh my "sonny's... I did add some beer... but it just dosent seem to have the "catching power" that it did before I toook it to Yuma .... and let it cook for a couple of trips....

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Sonny's is AS good as Secret 7:wink:

13. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    it was the sonny's that caught the catfish for me at mendota 2,all be it only 2 but it did work.

14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I caught 6 on Sonnys:wink:

15. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Well.... I think that I'm all packed.... coffee to go in the AM, and I'll hit the Mc Duck in Castaic to get something...

My wife is taking the worms out to the refrig now, and next, I'mn going to look at some Bills that need my attention....

Be nice to see the central cal boys again... almost three week since the last visit.....

16. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Well.... I think that I'm all packed.... coffee to go in the AM, and I'll hit the Mc Duck in Castaic to get something...

My wife is taking the worms out to the refrig now, and next, I'm going to look at some Bills that need my attention....

Be nice to see the central cal boys again... almost three week since the last visit.....

17. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Ray, I will be out there Early Friday morning. Drive safely brother:wink:

18. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Well gang... see the ones that are out there.... by now....

"on the road again"....Bayrunner Ray.. Gilman

19. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Allright Ray. See you in the morning:wink:

20. full moon

full moon Guest

Hey Ray!

There's some big cats in that lake. Meow! Mac and Cheese..yum..yum

Anthony:wink::big_smile::smile2: