Heading out to Wateree near Buck Hill...

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Palmetto, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Palmetto

Palmetto New Member

State:
    Elgin, SC
    Brothers, I am gonna drop some blood on some whiskers tonight!

I will probably try the lake near Buck Hill or below in the River.

We will be fishing from the bank, using mostly cut shad from the casting net- I plan on trying some worms too just to keep stuff coming in.

After going a long time with little water running through the dam, I am hoping that yesterday's rain will have the water (and fish) rising and get things poppin'.

I'll try some live bait down in the river- there's flatties down there, right? I never have caught a flathead.

I think my personal best (Blue, caught last month up-lake from the State Park on cut herring. I guess around 25-30 lbs.? In my avatar..) needs to be better.

I am calling my shot..... PB, corner pocket. :wink:

Reporting tomorrow... have a good 'un!
    Darren

2. Palmetto

Palmetto New Member

State:
    Elgin, SC
    Well, this one didn't go too well.

We ended up fishing off the concrete platform below the Wateree Dam.

I had to throw like crazy just to get a few small shad, usually I can't keep 'em OUT of the casting net down there.

Honestly, I bet I threw the net 4 dozen times and only got multiple shad a couple of times.

I didn't even catch a perch.... fished 5-6 hrs. for 3 white catfish just over a lb.

I gotta get the boat back out on the lake... maybe I "Gotta Go" with gotta go so I can get this lake figured out a little better. The river is unpredictable for me...

:confused2:

Darren

3. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the report. Makes the days you catch e'm special. Better than being locked up in the house. Thanks again.

4. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    That's what I like...confidence..."I am calling my shot..... PB, corner pocket" We all know that chance is the only winner every time that we go fishin. But nothin like being confident in your skills...Sorry it didn't turn out the way you wanted...nice try :cool2:

5. Palmetto

Palmetto New Member

State:
    Elgin, SC
    I just couldn't shake the images of the hundreds of lbs. of catfish I watched caught down there in the early summer, but since then I have not seen much action down there at all.

I think I have been going down there chasing that early summer pattern in the fall, which ain't happening.

It was actually pretty disgusting down there. People are slobs with their trash, and after the heavy rain, it smelled like an outhouse- sorry. :angry:

Next time I fish down there it will not be from the concrete pad! I am thinking Jonboat... or better yet, drifting the 15' boat up in the lake until spring...

Darren

6. Palmetto

Palmetto New Member

State:
    Elgin, SC
    Haha, yep. I tend to think that way about most things, or at least try to convince myself.

Last trip it worked, though. Got my avatar that way last month... :)

(Sometimes I scratch, though- that's life, fishing, and 8-ball...)

D.