Heading out to the alamo in a few minutes

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by SyKo450, Nov 7, 2009.

1. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Most likely will stay overnight, will be south of Calipatria and north of Brawley area

Hope I can catch bait itself and a or some flats

Will report tomorrow:big_smile:

Spontaneous trips are the best:tounge_out:

2. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali

3. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    First trip was a failure, could not find a damn spot to settle down

Decided to go up towards Calipatria, came upon a bridge where the river crossed and there was some type of Wildlife Sanctuary, so we went in that way and then through some maze and settled down at a clearing, place looked more like a lake than a river, tried to catch bait, but failed, so ended up cutting up a striped bass we had caught earlier at another spot, that did not work, so we just sat there with rods casted out for about 5 hours without a bite

I need a guide lol

4. catrick1

catrick1 New Member

State:
    calif.
    Good luck brother. I live in Brawley and fished the Mo quite a few times in the last 50 yrs. I have pretty good luck with a big gob of nightcrawlers but I know DCR does a hell of alot better with gills and goldies. I've never caught any of those big guys with worms, maybe someday. Going to be cold out there man. Hope u tear em up.

5. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Well brother, upon further research, it turns out that we (brothers and a friend) were at Wiest Lake and not the Mo', which explains why the place looked like a lake, Epic Fail

6. catrick1

catrick1 New Member

State:
    calif.
    Hey man sri to hear bout the no catch but at least u got go on the trip. I hope that was better than staying home.

7. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    I had already gotten up at 4.30am to go fishing, went channel fishing for about 4 hours before I headed over to the Mo

Two fishing trips in one day :big_smile:

Caught a 4 and 3 pound channel and a 3 pound striped bass, which got used for bait for flats, which didn't work:embarassed:

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Right on Ric. thanks for the report:wink:

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Good your getting out,,otherwise,,sounds like fishing!!! to me.. :big_smile:

10. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Was really confused the entire time I was out there lol, baited a Kahle with about a 4inch chunk of bass tail, it just kept getting nibbled on, I did hear a bunch of really loud splashes, fished the bottom, fished about 2 feet deep on a float at night, nothing happened

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Lots of times in those areas they loud splashes can be beavers. They travel up and down and cause all kind of noises in the rivers and canals. Some can have been fish as well you never know - but beavers do account for some of those splashes.

As far as the bite goes it happens. We have to chalk it up sometimes and learn from the experience - like where did we fish, what did we have for bait, etc? The better holes around this time of year is the deeper holding zones if we can find an area around a deep pocket you can do better from the cooling water temps. You will generally find the best flathead times to be during those warmer water and weather tempertures and you will start to base teh bulk of your trips around that time frame. Go back to some of those same spots in May and June and you will have better results especially if you have the better bait.

12. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Ric it all takes time to get it all together:wink: BUT Ric striped bass for bait:crazy:? dude your ask n for a BIG fine for use n bass as bait, I know ya think them SB are trash fish(which they are around here) but just don't get caught , Don't think ya can even use the head without trouble :wink:

13. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Never thought it would have been beavers, didn't even know they lived down here, as for deep water, I had no idea where to go, which explains why I was at Wiest Lake and not the river, only time I casted outat the river was when I was down in Brawley where it crosses the Highway, went off the road and found a spillway where the current was really fast

Hopefully I can go next weekend along with DCR with his better knowledge of the areas:tounge_out:

Didn't know I could get in trouble for using those bass as bait, now I know not to do it next time, thanks for the heads up:wink: