Heading out Sat

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by turnerchop5, Dec 25, 2009.

1. turnerchop5

turnerchop5 Member

State:
    ky
    Going at Saturday morning. Notice it is suppose to be windy conditions. Probabily will be white capping out there. Any advice on how to battle those conditions(anchoring). If all fails I guess anchor near the banks. Merry Christmas to all and hopefully can get on some crab this weekend.

2. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2009

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Bring a rear anchor as well for any sideways blowing wind, look for shelter around/behind/just upstream, etc of barges where they may block the wind. Id rather fish in a mediocre spot then fight the wind all day sometimes. I hate the wind......:angry:

Salmonid

4. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    River is gonna be on the rise and current will start picking up....I wouldn't personally use 2 anchors in those conditions.....rear anchoring with drift just could get really bad really quickly. I think the wind will suck, but like fishmonster said use drift buckets to try and keep the boat straight and then the current should make anchoring easier depending on the anchor style you use. good luck, stay safe.

5. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    where you heading out of sat , i plan on going out of tanners at about 8

6. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Wind is supposed to be out of the South south west so high hills on the Kentucky side should break the wind and protect you but any open areas and your gonna get hammered. My 24 footer the buckets are not as good as my driftsocks that Bink made me those things lock the boat down solid, a little bit harder to get in but they do hold well.

Blues should be on fire with the rising river, I may be out there tomorrow just not sure yet...............Doc

7. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i had a drift sock myself worked great till the river ate it , threw it out and went and checked the time and turned around and there it was getting further away and sinking:angry:

8. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I'm not sure of what Bink makes these socks out of no weights on them and there always balled up in storage, I hook the rope to the boat and just toss them out, have even pulled a few trees in with them they will not tear at all, I got an idea that there made of tent fabric of some sort, very well made...Doc

9. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    mine was made out of that blue ripstop tarp type material.

10. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    That is what Bink is making them out of and they are tough. Best thing is he sells them cheap like 25 or 30 dollars. Doc where you going if you get out tomorrow, Drew ,Tom Chris and I are going to Portsmouth .

11. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Willie,
    going to see what this wind does in the morning then I'll make a decision good luck to you guys.................Doc