Heading out Friday to Greenway Flats

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by Anythinggoes, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Anythinggoes

Anythinggoes New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Hey guys,
    I'm new to the board and wanted to first say that there's a wealth of information here! I am going fishing on a friends dock less than a mile south of the Marshall Hall ramp. I've fished there two times in the past in not so great conditions about this time last year. Hopefully the sun will be out enough in the afternoon to bring some cats up shallow. I was wondering if anyone has some tips on rig set up. I usually either run about 3 -4 ft of leader from a tri or fish finder to anywhere from a 3/0 to 7/0 hook with or w/o a float by the hook, depending on where I'm fishing. I'll probably catch some sunnys in a local pond to use for bait along with some chicken hearts (thanks Tim!) Does anyone know if I'll be able to catch any perch out there right now? I like to use them for cut bait as well. I will first try to pick up some fresh herring if possible since I will have the most luck with that. My only issue I have with rigging is the line sometimes wraps around the swivel or fish finder. Is this caused by the leader being to light? I usually use 30lb Yozuri Hybrid for the leader.

Mike

2. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I may also try getting a sabiki rig and cast as far out as you can with it to try and catch some mackeral and/or other bait.

Which line is wrapping around the fishfinder/swivel? if its the leader, try shortening it a little.

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well first anythinggoes Welcome to the site. Nice to have more people from maryland come on with us.

As for rigs I only use swivels with live bait or spinning reels.

My set up is a sinkner above a carolina keeps then my hook with this you only have one knot to tie. You can move the keeper up or down to give you move line between the hook and sinker. Plus you can add the float as needed I mostly try and keep all baits up off the bottom about 6".

Bait we have alot of mud shad in the river at this time great cut bait and shad guts is aways great. Herring will be hitting here soon if they make it up in the potomac. last years herring was slow in the river and hard to come by but you may found some perch around the docks. Chickens hearts with blood on them i soak them with chicken liver or beef blood if you can get it.

Hope this helps and keep us posted on your trip. fill free to email me if i can help you out with anything

4. Anythinggoes

Anythinggoes New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Fished from 3 til dark using chicken livers due to no success catching perch . We caught about 20 small channels and blues with the largest blue only at 7lbs and 5lbs for a channel. Way too many bullheads out there messing with the lines as well. Going back out tomorrow around 9am til low tide.

Mike

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Try fishing the incoming tides and see if it mades a differents. I try and book 90% of my trip 4 hour before high tide and right after. I have always have better luck catching them at this time. The low tide has aways been a dead time for myself very little fish and the bites we do get are aways little ones.

6. Anythinggoes

Anythinggoes New Member

State:
    Maryland
    You were right about the low tide. We fished for an hour this AM and ended up hitting a drainage pond for bass. Caught a 4lb and several others off a weightless 4in. worm. Thanks for the tips!

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hey Mike, welcome to the site man. Nice to have another person from the FLG forum on here.

Zakk:)