Heading for Saluda Lake

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Deepwater1, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Been putting off the trip to Saluda Lake for a while, for one reason or another, but tomorrow's the day. Hopefully weather and heat will co-operate. Anyone with any advice on the lake would be helpful.

I'll post the results tomorrow night or Wednesday, depending on when I get back.

Curt :confused2: :big_smile:

2. tigerman10

tigerman10 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Be careful getting out of the cove at the ramp its ver shallow. If you use cut bait use smaller than normal chunks and small live bream for the bigger fish. Premo dip bait works pretty well out there but thats the only one that I have tried. I would go up the river and find deepest water possible. There are several holes before the bridge and just after the bridge that get 18-20 ft deep. stay to the right once you get into the mouth of the river. If you stay in the lake then try the mouth of big bass cove which is on the left the pocket before harbour town towne homes. Also down by the dam may be good but I dont fish there too much. An older guy used to fish the big rock wall on the left right out from the landing and catch some good fish. Whatever you do get there before 630 if possible bc the tuesday night bass tourney is gonna be blasting off then. Hope this helps a little bit.

3. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Sure didn't know that Ben. Thanks for the info. I'm planning on launching about 6 AM and fishing until it gets too hot or stormy. Then fishing again from about dark until ?, but now I think I choose the wrong night to fish, so I'll probably call it a day after the heat and/or storms kick in.

I wanted to try live fingerling bullheads for flatheads. I'm also carrying shrimp, frozen white perch, chicken liver, and worms. I'll probably catch some gills to use also. Thanks again Ben for the info.

Curt

4. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Well, made it to Saluda today. Put in a little after 6:30 AM. Fished south of ramp. Started at the rock wall just south of ramp. Fished the cove on right just after water works. Fished around dam area. Anchored early and tried drifting after noon.

Lots of elevation changes to bottom but NO structure. Marked a few fish on the bottom in a couple areas. Saw a number of bait schools on the scope. Beautiful setting and a very pleasant day. Afternoon storm drove me off the water about 5 PM.

Only problem, almost no fish. Caught 2 cats about a pound each and ONE white perch. Tried shrimp, cut white perch, cut bluegill, live bullheads, nightcrawlers, and chicken livers. Had 8 rods in the water most of the time. Think I'm going to need someone who has fished the lake SUCCESSFULLY to show me the ropes. HELP :embarassed: :sad2:

5. catmandosimpsonville

catmandosimpsonville New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    and just where is Saluda Lake?:angry:

6. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
  7. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Jim, Saluda Lake is just a few miles northwest of Greenville, SC. More exact, it is about 2 miles due west of Berea, SC. It is a small old lake. It's only about 3 miles long and about 1000 yards in width.

It has (I saw pics) large flatheads, channels, large crappie, bream, white perch and large shad.

It has max depth of 32' and only one public launch ramp, on Motor Boat Club Road - AND IT SPANKED ME ROYALLY TODAY.

Curt

8. catmandosimpsonville

State:
    South Carolina
    THANKS to all for the inforamtion. I have lived in Laurens county and now Greenville County all my life and have never heard of this place. :roll_eyes: But I need a close lake to use when not at Santee. I may just have to give it a try.
    I have a 24 Ft Toon, is that a problem putting it in at this "lost lake"
    :smile2::eek:oooh::roll_eyes:

9. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    3 fish is better than none.

10. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    jim you should be ok just raise your motor up till you get out of the cove the ramp is in. they have built a ramp down the lake on the right but last I checked it wasnt open yet. dont know if it is gonna be a public ramp or a private ramp but it has a large parking lot.

11. catmandosimpsonville

State:
    South Carolina
    Flathead,

DO you fish there a lot? Maybe PM me with some pointers or locations.
    I have good FF and GPS combo, but not sure that lake is on my maps chip. I dont recall seeing a paper map at any of the Wally Worlds in this area either, so..... any help is good help.

12. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Jim, a map is avaliable. Kevin at Saluda landings (the launch ramp) has it for about $7.50. Yesterday was the first trip there for me, so I'm not much help, except to say: listen to Kevin when he warns you about sand bars!

Curt

13. tigerman10

tigerman10 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Hey guys, I have fished this lake since I was ab 5 and I am now 23. I have lived almost on the lake for the past 16years and all in all it is a tuff lake to fish on. Curt was right when he said that there was little to no structure. There are lots of bream and crappie in the lake and can be caught fairly easy. And suprisngly enough there are alot of catfish but they can be very tough at times. This time of year on the lake is very tough during the day and really needs to be a night lake. I put in at the new ramp today off of pistol club rd and it is open and alot easier than using the landing on motor boat club rd. Another month or two and the lake will start to come back to life.

14. tigerman10

tigerman10 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    forgot to tell you that if you have any questions feel free to pm me and Ill be happy to answer and hopefully I will be able to get back to you before you go, lol. Sorry Curt

15. bone3160

bone3160 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Deepwater was wondering if you could tell me where Saluda Lake is?

16. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Steve, Saluda Lake is about 2 miles due west of Berea, SC. The launch ramp I used is on Motor Boat Club Road, off of SC 25. Check an earlier post about another new ramp on the other side of the lake.

Curt :big_smile:

17. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Steve, almost forgot. Welcome aboard the best catfish forum around.

Curt

18. bone3160

bone3160 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    This is the best most info. site I have ever seen thank you.

19. tigerman10

tigerman10 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    If you would like anymore information on the lake let me know, I have been fishing it for 16 years now

20. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I rode up to the new landing. It is fenced in and has video cameras. It is very nice. The sign says open sunrise to sunset. Do you think I'm locked in all night if I don't make it back to the landing before sunset or will it open automatically from the inside?