Heading 2 the Navy, sure gonna miss them flatties.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catfish_clayton, Dec 7, 2008.

1. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I'm currently in the Navy SEAL fitness program. And leave for Navy Boot Camp Feb. 24th. From there I go to the BUDS (basic underwater demolition/seals) Introduction course in Coranado Ca. the first step on my path to becoming a Navy SEAL. After that I start the actual BUDS course. The hardest special operations training in not only the U.S., but the entire world. Anyway, thats not the point in this thread. The point is I am leaving and I'm freaking out. WHAT AM I GONNA DO ABOUT CATFISHING!!! Theres no catfish In California. Ive been thinking about maybe starting mako shark fishing when I get there, but I'm afraid its not going to be the same. I've been hooked on catfishing since I was three. The thrill of bringing in a monster flattie is something you just cant replace. What if I start having withdraws during training. Or even worse what if 2009 is the year I'm ment to catch a state or even world record. I just dont Know how to get myself under control. Can anyone help?

2. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I was just doing some searching and there are lots of catfish in CA. Checking the records, there are bullheads, channels, blues, and flatheads. Don't know what part of the state but they are there. I'm sure once you get there, you can ask around and find some great catfishing spots.

Also, thank you for serving!

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Clayton,
    I hope you find a solution to your fishing dilemma but most of all good luck with your training and new career...W

4. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    Hey man. it's not that bad. you'll be fine. I've got a million things i could tell you, but you'll figure them out soon enough.

Have you talked to an army recruiter about special forces? I know you think the seals are cool and i'm not trying to downplay that, but you ought to test ALL you options before making a commitment.

Also, if you haven't been to basic yet, the navy can't gaurantee your job.

Either way, I think you've made a great decision by choosing to join one of the three braches.

5. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Clayton,
    Sorry you're bummed out about the catfishing. The great thing is you're taking a step for your future. The catfish will always be there for you when you get the chance to hunt them. Good luck with your training Bro.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Clayton wishing you good luck in the special field you have chosen. The vigorous training will resolve the fishing withdrawls.

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey, First of all...THANKS,,, for your service.

second,, you'll have the benefit of thinkin' about fishing for Flatcats, for awhile, till you actually have the TIME to fish!!

If you're stationed in SoCAl,, you'll be close to where I and a bunch of others from this site fish from AZ and CA,,the Colorado river!!

You'll be a few hours away from Yuma, and even closer to some canals that hold fine fish.. When the time comes, let me, or us know, I've met a bunch on here that know a lot about that area..

I don't know anything about the local SanDiego ocean fishing, but, I'm sure that's available also..

Good Luck, Be careful, Go get'm!!

8. catfish_clayton

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Thanks, I had no idea there was good catfishing in California.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You just do all of your worrying between now and that BUDs course.They have some professionals there that will take all of your worries away but one.That one will be surviving and you will have little time for all else.Just a couple of milliseconds every week or two for the all else.If you will die before you will quit,you just might make it.Everything that can be done to make you quit will be done.I wish you the very best young fellow.

Just think.After you make it,you may find yourself in far off lands Noodling for Great Whites,Crocodiles or Russian SpetzNatz.Catching giant Flatheads will just be the wimpy kid stuff you did in your childhood!

ps,I ain't joking about the Sharks,Crocodiles and SpetzNaz.

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thank you for your service to our country.As far as the fishing goes really don't think you'll have much time for that for abit.Just be careful and work hard at your new profession and you'll be just fine.God Bless and BE Careful out there

11. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Clayton first off sent a prayer up for your safety . 2nd I THANK YOU ! for your service to this country . Freedom has never been free . As far as the catfishing goes I am sure someone out there will guide you in the right direction IF you even get the chance to fish . It will be a good while before that opportunity arises . They will try to break you down any way possible during your training . With me they tried the Jody is home with your girlfriend that was 24 years ago ! If they know any of your weaknesses they will use that against you it's part of the training . The less they know the easier the mental end of it will be . The physical stuff well... You just hang tough . Good luck and thanks !

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Good luck in your training in becoming a Navy Seal. I've seen that kind of stuff of TV and it ain't easy. It takes a major set of King Kong Balls to complete.

The flatheads will always be waiting for you in WV. Out on the west coast, you should have a blast catching yellowtail, white sea bass, and tuna.

13. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Clayton, Hang into a Mako and you probably won't be thinking about flatheads!

Good luck in the Navy!

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Goodluck in your pursuit to become a Navy Seal... Thanks for serving our country!!!! rollo

15. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Clayton you are not going to have time to think about fishing for a while good luck in your training and thank you for serving young man:smile2:

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    The Makos chase the Yellowtail around Coronado Is. during the summer, hook into one of them and youll Pee Pee yourself. Use a squid for the yeller and hold on tight.:wink:

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Clayton, take care of yourself and THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE TO THIS COUNTRY :cool2:!!

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Clayton, I think you are already under "control". Your Control. Let up on the catfishing for a couple years, and embrace the coastal targets. Make them a challenge, use your catfishing knowledge,plus what you learn there.
    Then come back and HAMMER the catfish.

I never met a S.E.A.L. before. So if you make it, send me a PM.

19. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    colorado river has flatheads channels and the California lakes blues channels and flathead not to mention the canals there check out the California forums they should help God Bless and good luck rick

20. catfish_clayton

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Ive been checking out the Ca. forums. I never realized they had that great of catfishing.