Headed to Wheeler Lake...

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Mr.T, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    After seeing those impressive photos that Cuz and the other Monster Cats boys caught, my brother and I decided it's time to head down to Wheeler Lake and try our luck for a few days. Leaving tonight, should be back on Wednesday night sometime. Wish us luck!

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Good luck Marty, cant wait to see the pictures of some more big'uns

3. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    ill be glad to help i live in killen and maybe ill see you and get to fish with you

4. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Good luck Marty!! Man after seeing those pictures I don't blame you either, just wish I was going, that is the largest bunch of fish I've ever seen anywhere:crazy:

5. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good luck guys hope you do well. I took off all week to duck hunt and also thought about making the trip. Figured I wouldn't wanna come home,miss Thanksgiving dinner and really be in the dog house. LOL
    Have safe trip!!

6. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    good luck guys... Me and a couple of the guys are planning a trip in the near future... Cant wait for the report..

7. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Willie and I are planning on going in the near future, were still loooking for a couple of fishing buddies to go with us to share expenses. If your interested get ahold of one of us.

8. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    Have you guys heard anything from Marty?? Wonder if they had any luck..

9. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    ive heard that there are some piggs down there......lol

10. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    I heard the same thing... I was at the bait shop the other day and the owner said a kid got a 101lber a week ago... He said four of them went down to Wheeler on a field trip....LMAOX10000:smile2::wink: just kiddin guys heck, thats one field trip i wouldve been first in line to go on

11. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    I sure wish Mrs Okie and I could make the trip because we would certainly take you and Willie up on your offer. It would be a hoot to make that trip with the Pooper and the Floater. I would like to get the Pooper on film with a big ole blue reelin upside down and backwards and the Floater grinning from ear to ear. :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

12. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis

LMAO... I got VERY high hopes Scott... When You and Phyl Get back up our way we will make that trip.. Should be fun----ny Your fish stories, Phyllis high notes, Poopers backwards reel, and My wisdom of catfishing......:wink::smile2: lmao...:wink::eek:oooh: Scott ima call u a little later today

13. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Made it home late last night, no amazing fish stories to tell. Conditions were a bit tough and the bite was slow. Managed a couple of decent fish on Tuesday morning, 47 and 26, but that was just about it other than a few dinks on Sunday.

Wheeler is a big lake and finding the fish can be difficult. And then once you find the fish, you've gotta figure out how to fish the fish. All in all, quite a learning experience and I'm looking forward to going back sometime soon.

Just wish it wasn't so hard to get there from Kansas City - you can go the long way on the interstate or the twisty, turny way on the back roads of southern Missouri, northern Arkansas and middle-of-nowhere TN, MS and AL - but either way, it's going to take a solid 12 hours of driving. Had a massive headwind coming home and could manage only 8 mpg most of the way, even driving 10 mph under the speed limit. Time for a better tow vehicle!

14. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h
    lived in huntsville for a few years and fished wheeler its a big lake caught some nice fish when i lived there sorry you didnt killem

15. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Glad you found some fish Marty. It is intimidating when you look at that lake the first time. The channel is almost as wide as the lake and it seems pretty featurless. I learn something new about that lake everytime that I have been down there. I know I would have loved to have had that top the first time Swamp and I made the trip. It was 9 degrees and the wind was blowing 20+ every day. Strong weather is not your friend on the big lake and I feel your pain. Hopefully the next time down it will cooperate with you.

16. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Sounds like Marty needs a diesel! You'll get 18mpg pulling that boat and not even know it's back there. :wink:

17. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I guess I am out of the loop, where is Wheeler lake? Sounds like catfish Mecca

18. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    its in north west alabama. you can be on wheeler, wilson, and pickwick lakes in just a few min. awsome blue cat fishing down there.

19. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Thanks for the Info

20. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I think you're right.

Unfortunately, my wife has dibs on a new Mustang before I can get a new truck... I promised her a couple of years ago that she could have one on her 40th birthday and that's coming up soon... Guess that'll teach me to make promises so far in advance... :wink: