headed to the Kaw river tomorrow

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by sportsmanfromkc, Dec 22, 2009.

1. sportsmanfromkc

sportsmanfromkc New Member

State:
    kansas
    gonna hit the bait shop then head to the lewis and clark park in fairfax area..if nothing there then maybe off of woodend and 435. should be fishing by 1030

2. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    I hit 435 yesterday morning for a few hours, no luck, it was a little ruff because the eddies were holding a lot of ice and drift wood that had spilled over the dam, hopefully most of that got cleared out yesterday with the warmer temps. Good luck too ya!

3. sportsmanfromkc

State:
    kansas
    tried the kaw point area, using goldfish and cut shad. nothing...well from what i could tell..current had the poles bouncing all over the place. about noonish we moved to 435 and woodend. same thing there, current just messed with the lines....only thing i caught was some rocks, tell ya what those things are some beast i guess...could not even budge em..had to cut the lines, if i could just get those in that would be some stories...lol..............merry christmas everyone

Attached Files:

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Travis thx for the report.I cant tell from the picture what you are throwing your bait to but looks real shallow what i can see.

Do you guys catch cats there this time of yr?

5. sportsmanfromkc

State:
    kansas
    i have not fished the river up this way. only fished the maris decygne in osawatomie a few times.. the pic was taken back towards the waterfall but i do think it was to shallow where we were casting also....would love to meet up with somone this spring/summer who can do some teaching on the river....some hands on learning is what i need....anyways i know during the spring/summer season there are always guys crowding that area off of 435 and woodend so someone must be catching something....

6. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    And you didn't call me?What the hell.I know last year someone on here was catching those winter channels at 435 using dip/stink bait.I think it was upstream along the dam if my memory serves me right.If anyone wants to head out again, let me know.913-742-0035

7. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    When fishing the low head dam at 4-35 & Holiday Dr. It is best during winter to come in on the Holiday Dr. side during the winter.
    There is a wash out hole on the S side down a ways. The bite will be slow if & when it happens. Coming in on the N side during winter, you could do better staying home & rolling dice most times.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  8. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Welcome to the BOC Jeff......

Nice Avatar..:confused2::big_smile:

9. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Thanks Tom.
    I am sure I have seen at some time or another some of the folks here. But when fishing the Ks. River I put in in Desoto. Dont see many other boaters on that stretch.
    Which is how I like it:big_smile:

10. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Welcome to the BOC Jeff. What size boat do you put in at Desoto? I live over in Bonner Springs.

11. ks catman

ks catman New Member

State:
    kansas
    welcome to the BOC

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Another welcome to ya Jeff.

13. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

you might see me in the summer

14. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Thank you all for the welcome. I was running a 16' with a 50 Merc. I sold it. But I am planning on building a bigger boat this spring.

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The thing is, with the dam reconstruction, washouts, etc, it changes every year. It's been a couple of winters since I have tried, but I used to catch the heck out of small channel cats using night crawlers and very small j hooks, fishing the dead river channel right along the north river bank through there when the water temps were in the 30's.

16. flat fighter

flat fighter New Member

State:
    kansas
    I am with gary i used to catch channels down there but have had no luck since the changed them dam. The hole i used to fish has filled in.