Headed to the Coosa (Lay Lake)

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by Catman21, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Catman21

Catman21 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'm headed out to Lay Lake soon, and plan on fishing with a few different baits. I will have some Salty's, crawfish, brim (bluegill). We do plan on setting up some jugs and drifting some. But I'm wondering if any of y'all are familliar enough with the water and maybe help in some pointers. I have'nt fished it much but I plan on starting out near the Logan Martin side. Do any of ya know of some spots we could hit and bait presentation for the season. Ohh yea we do plan on fishing from around midnight til' mornin' time. We will have a boat but plan on having a base camp set up at the kelly creek landing area.

I hope to be adding some cool pics for ya all after this one!

Thanx for your time!

Mike

2. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    The pipe line where it crosses the river below Kelly creek is always good for some nice eating catfish.

3. Catman21

Catman21 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Well we went out to Lay Last night and only caught 2 blues. Both were caught off of Jugs one using a gob of like 6 night crawlers (5lb + 25 inch), other was caught of of jug and Black Salty fresh cut, he was around 3lbs. When I cleaned em' they both had nothing in their tummys!! We only got to do one run of the jugs and only were able to put 6 out. 3 in Kelly Creek and 3 out below Kelly Creek on the souhern side of that first island. Caught the 5lb.er there by the island and the smaller one in kelly creek. I will post a pic of the bigger one on this.

I tell you what it was really a horrible trip. We set up a camp there atop the boat launch at kelly creek. While I was waiting on my other 2 friends to come and bring the boat (pontoon). Some folks came out there in like 3 cars just blaring their music and being very rude. They were tallking all kinds of smack, they were pretty loaded by the time they got there :angry:. At this point we were afraid to leave our camp and our vehicles so we decided to leave to at the camp and the others would go do the drift and jug fishing. Well would you know while trying to launch the boat there the ol' trailer droped off the launch and we couldn't get it out. :embarassed: Then they were pumping at the dam and the creek started to rise so we had to disconnect the truck from the trailer. Needless to say we end up going out just before daybreak, and what should have been an awseome catfish trip turned out to be a disaster.

We were able to get the trailer out in the morning after we got a chain moved the trailer off the ramp. WOW what a trip......

Enjoy the story guys LOL!!

Mike

4. Catman21

Catman21 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    here he is! at least we caught 2 LOL! Btw I tried to edit my last post but he is 24inch not the typo 25In. later guys..

Attached Files:

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a nice Catfish, Mike.

6. bigheck

bigheck New Member

State:
    kansas
    nice fish mike keep it up

7. YellaCat

YellaCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Wish I would have seen this post earlier. I parked at the Kelly Creek boat ramp about this time last year. We were only gone for about 2 hours due to bad weather. When I returned to my truck, I found the drivers side window busted and several items missing. I have since heard from several people that have experienced the same thing.

This was daytime. I can only imagine night fishing there would be worse!

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    That sucks that idiots won't even let you enjoy a night of fishin. Guess I'll keep that on my list of places I probably don't want to launch. I have never had any trouble on the AL river so far. I am gonna check to see if they are allowing folks to launch off the AF base. Would have no worries leaving my truck parked there. I usually find an island to camp on or at least a spot where the drunks can't drive to. Hope your next trips a little better Mike, congrats on the fish though. If you ever want to hit the river let me know, maybe we can hook up.

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    THAT REALY SUCKS WHEN YOU COME BACK IN FROM A GOOD NIGHT FISHING AND FIND THAT SOME SOB HAS DESTROIED SOMETHING THAT YOU HAVE WORKED HARD FOR. THAT WILL GET WORSE AS THINGS GET HIGHER BECAUSE THEY ARE TO DAMM LAZY TO WORK IT IS EASYER TO STEAL THEN WORK:angry::angry: