Headed out at 0600

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by PTDixieGal, Jul 21, 2008.

1. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    I'm headin' out at 0600 tomorrow...we'll probably hit Camp Robinson first and then Lake Cherrywood. I'm gonna try the new rod out tomorrow. Let's hope it brings luck:wink:

2. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    Had to cancel that...100 degree heat indexes suck.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Sorry you had to cancel your trip. This is a good time of year to night fish and come in about daylight.

4. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    Not for me, it's not. When you work at Wal-Mart, you don't have that option.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    sorry about the trip, I would have thought you could have gotten some early morning fishing in before it got too hot

6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    That's a nice theory ya got going there Mr. go to bed at 7pm:wink::eek:oooh::tounge_out:

7. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    I wish I could have but that heat index has been so bad here the past few days. Ah well...I got to work on my spinning reel. I finally got it fixed. I don't like using the spinning reel for catfishing (just a personal preference) but I do like using it for topwater fishing. I usually get a lot of panfish with it, which I either eat or use for bait.

8. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    I am hoping that it cools down a bit before the weekend comes! Crossing fingers. I really am itching to go fishing! :wink: Since I am going to be old as DH says this friday...43 DH lets me pick where to go on my birthday.........
    Pray it clouds up for me will ya? LOL Skeeters at night enjoy me way tooo much to try FISHING THAT WAY AGAIN.......rofL

9. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    I was really disappointed that I didn't get to go either. I'm a former Emergency Medical Technician...I used to work medical command at the motorcross races and if it were up to me I'd spray myself with OFF or something like that and go nightfishing but the way WM's got me running that cash register, one day I may come in at 3 pm and the next day come in at 10 am...one time they even had me come in at 4:45 am (that was the day after Thanksgiving).

10. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    Dad and I finally got to go back to Camp Robinson this morning...we hit the lakes about 0600 and fished till around 1100. Anyway, didn't get nothing at the little lake there by the golf course so we went on to another lake. I got out there in the brush and hooked an old five pound grinnel...there went my twenty five pound test line, AFTER I BEACHED HIM. Had to get a stick and poke the thing to get him back in the water. Anyway, Dad then went over to another corner of the lake and got two channel cats, about one and a half pounds each.

Well guys, I took that grinnel out of commission for you for the next twenty four hours; I was using a treble hook.

11. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    PT, we headed out last Saturday night and fished the Arkansas river between L&D 14 and L&D 15. We set up before dark and bank fished all night. We caught 15 total. 9 of them were between 10 and 20 lbs. Right now the best fishing is at night.

12. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    I understand that, but fishing at night is not an option for me. I work from late afternoon to night one day and early morning to late afternoon the next. I've been into catfishing since I was a kid and I know that the best time to catch them is at night, especially during the summer.

I do realize that you think you're helping me, but because of my work situation, my ONLY option is to go either early of a morning or late of an evening when I'm off-I CANNOT GO NIGHT FISHING.

13. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    I don't work at night but Here lately Skeeters tend to just love me. I am still trying to figure out how NOT to be a Skeeter magnet.Even one time had the thermacell running and I was still breathing Skeeter!

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    eat lots of garlic and take sulfer pills.skeeters wont come near you.course you husband and kids may not either.

15. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    :eek:oooh:

16. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    Glen, I read a tip the other day but I haven't tried it yet to see if it works. It said to put a dryer sheet in your pocket and the skeeters would steer clear of you. If you get a chance to try it let us know how it works.

PT, I read your post about not being able to go at night. Just thought I'd give you a report. Beleive me I know how it is, you just have to go when you can and not always when you want to.

17. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    OK I gotcha now. Sometimes I'm not fully awake when I read these things. Sorry. :embarassed:

18. pnmaredd

pnmaredd New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Be careful using skeeter spray. Do Not get on hands or bait! DEET is a repellant for fish as well as bugs.
    Found out the hard way....

19. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    So we should go back to the garlic and sulphur and the dryer sheet? :big_smile:

20. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    First off we headed to Willow Beach to get there when the gates open. We were there about fifteen minutes late, and the gate was still LOCKED. At first we thought the park was closed due to recent rains, but then Dad remembered he was there right after it rained. :angry:

Then we went to Lake Cherrywood and the only thing we caught all day was a fingerling! Probably would have done better if SOME PEOPLE had put out some notice that WILLOW BEACH IS CLOSED instead of making us drive all the way down there (hey Corp of Engineers-that's YOU).