Headed out 18 or 19 Nov

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by special liberty, Nov 16, 2006.

1. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Looking to fish the Potomac either Sat or Sun. Plan to work channel ledges on the Maryland side in the area around Ft Washington. Any word on where the fish and bait are?

2. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    Thanks Billy for the heads up

3. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    If all goes well I will be out there Sunday in the same area. Hope I can catch some bait.

4. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    The Special Liberty gets underway today at ~0700, launching out of Marshall Hall. We'll be fishing from the Woodrow Wilson bridge down to Fort Washington. Hoping to find bait, as the only thing we currently have are bigger croakers. Keeping the fingers crossed, and hoping the bite is on.

5. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    5 fish in 4 hours. Three between 15-20 lbs, one 36 lbs and a 40 lbs. The three between 15-20 all hit at the same time, six rods were out and three of them just got slammed all at one - three of us in the boat - talk about a one legged man in an a$$ kicking contest.

No fish in deep water - these five were caught within an hour of each other in 20' of water adjacent to a 6' flat. Croaker for bait.

Used stingers - small trebel hook in tandem with a large circle hook - two of the small guys were caught that way.

River is full on trash - wasted a lot of time clearing lines.

Saw some guys up by the Ft Washington Light - anybody do any good there - we struck out there earlier in the day

Nathan will be posting our pictures this evening

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Good to hear you got on to some fish I may head out mid week after the trash is gone. Stayed home all day working to pepers for 2007 tournament almost ready to go. Did you find any fish around #88 that can be hard to fish with alot of trash coming down?

7. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    Didn't even try there Tim - There was so much crap coming down the river around #88 it was like driving the boat through a minefield. We started out at 8 am on what I call the humps at the mouth of Piscataway Creek. No bites and a ton of trash, spent more time clearing lines than fishing. We intended to fish up near #88 but once we got up there we saw that it was going to be impossible so we moved further north just outside Smoots Bay in about 15-20 feet of water and had an hour of nonstop action. By noon the wind had picked up and we got cold so we called it a day. While we were at the mouth of Piscataway Creek, just south of the lighthose, we saw some weird eddies or whirlpools come downriver - almost looked like a riptide does off a beach - tide/current was doing some strange things.

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Yes I know just where you saw that I have seen it there before and there is a channel that comes out from the bank there. I think the high water and high full moon tides makes it do that. Well thats the only times i ready see it going on around there anyhow. Good to see you got some fish and the place where you whats will put fish in your boat all winter there I have fished it for years.

9. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    I finaly got to fish Sunday. Spent 1 hour catching bait and only got 7 gizzards down in Pohick. Went up to Ft washington and seen the trash line mostly on the MD side of the channel. We set up pretty much right beside #79 in 65' and never moved. Trash was not too bad over there but did have to clear the lines and or walk them thru some of it. We only fished 4 hours and caught 15 between 20 and 35 and 1 about 8 lbs. Only missed one and broke the leader on another. Outgoing tide was screaming and took 16 oz to touch bottom and could only fish 4 lines. I usally dont fish this deep but last 2 trips a buddy took had some impressive numbers and weights. We did not get any monsters but did have a decent catch of fish concidering the conditions. 2 on the boat got there personal best so they were :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

10. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    Good to hear you had some luck. I thought our 5 fish over 15 lbs in four hours was impressive - don't burst my bubble LOL!!

We stopped and talked to a guy near the Ft Washington Light thinking it might be you, you had said you might be out - guess not, he was by himself in a 19-21' cuddy cabin. We'll be out this coming saturday, ya see a Carolina Skiff with a T-Top stop by.

11. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Here's the catch.

Attached Files:

12. biggerblues

biggerblues New Member

State:
    va
    Great fish Billy... My daught and I went out yesterday and beared the cold and wind for 6 hours, but still caught 11 fish. Smallest one was 21lbs and biggest was 45 and 42lbs. Most were around 30lbs. Had one fish on for 30mins /+ then pulled the hood. That was probably the Potomac record.:crazy:

13. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    Tawn, I think you went by me at #79. I was inthe boat below. Tough conditions and after reflecting on the trip I should of tried a little shallower toward the Va side. When we left there to go home there were some impressive marks in 30 to 40'.

[​IMG]

14. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    Good catches guys...Tawn and Nate, that was a good 5 fish stringer. Its good to see you guys do well above the water too!!! :wink:

Partners boat is still at the doctors...when it comes back we'll have to go out on a joint mission.

15. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Sounds good brother. Where do you usually put in at? Marshall Hall is our homeport as of right now. I had to change my avatar to a fish I caught on the Potomac since we're getting better at getting some good fish. That's the forty pounder we caught last Sunday. :big_smile:

16. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    good fish...my best is a 35 but that'll change this year. We put in at Washington or sometimes at Bolling AFB. It all depends on what stretch of river we plan to fish.