Headed out 11 Mar 07

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by special liberty, Mar 10, 2007.

1. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Just got back from a week at sea. Me and Nathan plan on fishing tomorrow. We'll put in at Marshal Hall at 0830 and plan on fishing between there and the WW bridge. Got a bunch of fresh white perch at Annapolis Seafood for bait. Any updated intel on where the fish are would be appreciated - I assume they are still shallow?

2. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I hope you mop up on them:cool2: luck to you

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I marked alot of big fish but the bite was way off most was in 10 to 20 feet

4. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    Small Craft Advisory - That's how the day started. On a good note, we ran into Tim Hagan who hooked us up with some very fresh shad - bigguns - 10-12" - enough for the whole day! We hit a couple of 3-7 lbs'ers out of the gate when we came up on Tim who pointed out a good hole. On his spot we picked up a couple of 15-20 lbs's. Gave up there, moved north in the vicinity of Smoots Bay and picked up a 22, 26 & 35lbs'r. Moved back down to Piscatayway Creek and slammed them for 30 minutes; picking up four between 26 and 36 lbs. We finally gave up on fighting the wind and swells at 2 pm and headed to our neighborhood tavern smelling of fresh shad and blue cat slime!! All in all - pretty happy with our 4 hour outing considering we haven't fished since January. Thanks again Tim for the bait and local know how. Your right - we don't have the midas touch, but we're having fun learning! Nathan will have the pictures fom todays trip up soon.

5. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    I forgot to mention - one of the mid-30 lbs fish we caught had a leader & swivel hanging out it's mouth tied with red line and a brass swivel with a glass/plastic type bead/sleeve on it, the bead/sleeve was clear; not one of the red plastic beads. The hook was way deep in the throat so we cut the line as deep as we could with a fillet knife without hurting the fish further. You could see the shank of the hook in his throat but we didn't try to remove it. The fish seemed healthy enough - just curious on how many folks out there have caught fish with tackle hanging out their mouths.

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Hey Tawn so did the spot worked out better on the way down river :lol: ?
    good to see you guys got on some fish after we talked. we ended up with 23 fish in all 16 over 20 lbs 47,41,39,35,32,28 and small not bad for father and son that their biggest fish ubtil sunday was 5 lbs. Now steven 8 years old with a 47 as his PB now many anglers out there are still looking for that size as a PB. Man it took me 40 years to get there myself. Also had Hunter 8 also out on saturday who had 9lbs as his PB now he also has a PB of 29 lbs.

In all it was a good weekend got very winds on sundays trip but find that when I down sized the bait the bite picked up. I cut the bait size in half from sat and went from 1 over 20 to 16 over 20 in the same holes. I think that with all the stuff that was in the river from last weeks rin and snow melt that all seem to be full and not really taking a bigger bait. By the smaller bait was some very hard runs when they hit they was loading up the rods fast and hard just as the tide started to come in.

here is hunter with his 29lb blue and then steven with his 47 and 39.

Attached Files:

7. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    Doesn't look like Nathans got the pictures up yet from Sundays trip. We're hoping to go again Tuesday but he was starting to get sick and I don't know what the weather looks like. Thanks again for the bait & advice. Did you pick the shad up on shad darts or hook & bobber with a worm?

8. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Sorry for the delay in pictures, had a bit of a run in with an unexpected nap yesterday after getting home. In other words the nap turned into bedtime. Here are some of the pics with more in the next post. And let me echo what Tawn said, "Thanks Tim, you're outstanding."

Attached Files:

9. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Here are a couple more from yesterday.

Attached Files:

10. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Looks like the Potomac is turning into a great blue cat fishery! Congratulations on all those big blue cats!

11. nalley1952

nalley1952 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    We found the same thing out on Saturday. They wanted a smaller bait.

12. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    when the bite slows down I watch the bellies if they look full when the bite is slow I cut the bait size down and it mostly seems to work and start picking up more and bigger fish