Headed out 10 Nov 06 on the Potomac River

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by special liberty, Nov 7, 2006.

1. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Will be fishing the Potomac Friday, 10 Nov from the Marshall Hall boat ramp North up to WW bridge. I just read where Tim had some luck up that way so we're gonna give it a shot. If anyone finds the bait between now and then please let me know. If ya see us out there, stop and say hello.
    - Tawn

2. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    A buddy went Monday and got bait pretty easy over in Pohick on the S side not too far from the ramp at pohick. I am swarn to secretcy on where and what he caught catfishing.

3. biggerblues

biggerblues New Member

State:
    va
    Yes! Swarn to Secrecy...:wink:

4. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    Thanks for the heads up Hawkeye! I appreciate it.
    - Tawn

5. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    6 Fish total. 23 lbs, 13 lbs, 8 lbs and 3 less than 5lbs. All caught on store bought fresh white perch. Weather was perfect, boat traffic less than expected considering the weather and being a federal holiday. Fished Mockley Point, buoy 88 and just outside Smoots Bay. Seemed pretty slow - is anybody doing much better?

6. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I was drinking coffee this morning and reading your post about going today. The weather was beautiful. Almost hooked to the boat around 8am but things had to be done. I will be out there during the middle of next week. Target days are Wed, Thurs, and Tues in that order. I will keep watching the board for more info. Good job and congrats on today's catch. Later for now---jonnycat

7. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    Not too bad bro...did you use the perch whole, heads or just cut however?? Somedays the fish are picky and only eat heads while the next day, they will only eat cut perch. Go figure!!! Aloha!

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    how was the fishing around #88 and the bay i'm heading down tomorrow and see what i can find then

9. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    I used a combination of bait sizes - some cut in to about 2" chunks and some larger pieces such as the heads and mid section. Didn't seem to make a difference yesterday.

We hit the deep water area (around 40') just to the north/northwest of the 88 buoy later in the day, around 2 pm. Thats where we picked up the 13 lbs and one of the smaller fish. Several bites though and if I were headed out again today, that is where I would start. Next time out I'm gonna rig up some baits with stingers; a smaller trebel hook on the end of the bait in addition to the main 7/0 circle hook - seemed like they were all biting short.

The area at the mouth of Piscataway Creek was also pretty active. Found several hump/holes - picked up the 23 lbs cat there in addition to multiple short bites that never turned into hook ups.

Alot of trash/debris in the water.

Did have some bad luck with my Rapala 75 lbs Scale/Lip Grip - it tore a hole in the lower jaw of the 23 lbs cat - Tim, do fish fall off your Berkely lip grip? I had one of the longer ones that larger fish fell off of and that is why I bought the Rapala. I'm a long way from being a tree hugger but I really hate injuring the fish that are going to be released and I need a lip grip that won't hurt them. By the way, I was glad to read the MD ACATS tournament will require a livewell and that stringers are no longer authorized.

Good luck to everyone headed out this week. Looking forward to reading your reports. To make it easier to find the most recent reports, I recommend starting a new thread with the date instead of adding it to the end of an older fishing report post.

10. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Here are yesterday's largest.

Attached Files:

11. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    nice beers!!! :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

12. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    Come on - it was Veterans Day! Everybody in those pictures is a U.S. Navy Chief. The two that are in dire need of a hair cut and shave are retired, but Chiefs none the less and what a better way to celebrate Veterans Day!!

We'll be more careful of what's in the picture next time - we don't need any unwanted attention!!

:boss:

13. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Was out there with Brad the man who set up my web site. We fish fort washington to start with no a bites moved up to the bridge and got some smaller fish Hit the bay and pick up one about 7 lbs all the fish are short bites, So we moved out to #88 about 50 yards out in around 25 feet of water. We was fish cut shad and bluegills.before here i cut them small maybe 1" and it was the ticket in 2 hours there we had 8 fish 15, 20, 25, and Brad new PB 41. I did find shad today at the ramp at fort wahington

Attached Files:

14. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    Glad ya had some luck around the 88 buoy - that's where I'm starting next time. Wish we could have spent more time there yesterday. I will have stingers rigged up next week for those short bites.

15. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    Two questions from the rookie...
    1. What size hook are you riggin for the stinger?

2. Are you cast netting shad or fishing for them?

Thanks.

16. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I was cast netting them but have fiished for them as well with shad dart and small silver grubs have worked well also.

I use hooks from 4/0 to 10/0 i was still using 7/0 when i move to small bait . I didn't tie smaller hooks on would have but it was just one of them trip where I said here try this then and it worked. So we had 2" cut bait on 7/0 hooks If i would have tied new hooks on it would have been 4/0 or 5/0 maybe.

17. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    As far as stingers go - next time out with them will be a first for me - I intend to use #6 treble hooks tied to about a 2-3" length of line which will be tied to my main hook, a 6/0-7/0 circle with the stinger hooked through the end of my cut bait. I saw this used by Chris Harris, a guide on the James and he explained the rig to me as an tactic he used when the fish were hitting short. Chris was one of the best guides I have went out with (Tim, we haven't met yet) and he taught me a lot and I'm gonna put his lesson to the test. I'll let ya'll know how it works out.

Tim - are you happy with your Berkley Lip Grip? I made a post on your website about my Rapala tearing up a fish. As much as I paid for it, I'd be willing to "float test" it if a Berkley works okay. I had a 2 foot Berkley Lip Grip which would not hold a fish over about 3 lbs without it falling off. I'm interested in hearing your consumer report.

Good luck and be safe!!

18. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Tim - are you happy with your Berkley Lip Grip? I made a post on your website about my Rapala tearing up a fish. As much as I paid for it, I'd be willing to "float test" it if a Berkley works okay. I had a 2 foot Berkley Lip Grip which would not hold a fish over about 3 lbs without it falling off. I'm interested in hearing your consumer report.

I have both the Berkley is the one I use mostly it has work great and has had fish up to aaround 50 lbs on it without any troubles. The Rapala was a gift and has the scales on it I only used it 3 or 4 times don't like the way it hooks on the fish and can see where it would tear up bigger fish. Maybe the long handled Berkley don't work us good as the short ones or it may have been a bad set as well. Hope this helps out and when we see each other out there here soon you can try my set and see with you think. I pick them up at wal mart one day under 20 bucks I think. Made it easy to get pictures for people who don't like to handle the fish.

19. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Nice fish and beer(guinness)!

20. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Tim,

What size boat is that in your pictures? I am looking to buy a 16 foot jon, and was wondering if that will be enough for the Potomac(on calm days of course). Thanks.