headed for gibson

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by slabmaster, May 15, 2008.

1. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    takeing vacation next week. i'm headed for gibson. i was raised modt of my childhood there. lake conditions are a little frustrating but i think i still might scare up a blue or 2. if any of you guys run into a white toyota with a 1648 lowe on it say howdy.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Good luck Rex. Ya mite as well come on up to truman and catch some big fish. We're pullin out for the Mo. Gathering in the morning, and i'm dern sure ready to get away for a few days.

3. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i should have paid more attention John. i didn't realize it was time for the mo gathering. I am commited to oklahoma . my mom would disown me if the grandkid didn't make an apperance. i would really like to get together with you sometime and check out grandlake. i am also gonna be back on beaver after memorial day jug lineing. lets fish someday.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'll get in touch with ya when i get back. Turkey season was a flop and i'm ready to fish. Haven't got my Okla. lie. yet but thats no biggie.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    John, tell everyone at the gathering 777 said hi. That would be a fun trip.

Rex, good luck at Gibson. You should be able to run up the river all the way to the natural rock dam and fish there. We have done the best on the right side anchored up and fishing the current seam. Also done real well drifting from the dam down past the island on both sides of the island. With all this rain and this close to the spawn you should be able to tear them up in that area.

6. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    you just described about half of my game plan. thanks for the info. i am also thinking about turning my juglines loose around paradise veiw and driffting down passed mission bend. i am also thinking about dropping the jugs on rocky point with an assortment of live bait.

7. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    We have torn up the blue's up in Pryor creek which is just a mile or so downstream of the low water dam up there on the Bend. Good Luck.:cool2: They should all be heading upstream to spawn right now.

8. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    The water at normal level you can get back a good mile or so up the creek. The water is still high so you could probably go up a lot farther. We used cut spoonbill, gut's and nasty red meat and they torn them up on jugs a few years back.

9. Keystone Cat

Keystone Cat New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    777 - You mentioned " natural rock dam ". Are you talking about what I call low water dam on the north side of Hwy 412?

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

Welcome to the BOC/SOC Larry, thats the place i'm talking about. I think everyone calls it a low water dam.

11. Keystone Cat

Keystone Cat New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the welcome and response. I am planning on fishing there this weekend. Im sure I already missed the spoons. I usually do good catching blues at three fingers with shad. Never fished for whiskers anywhere near the island at low water. I will have to check that out. By chance does anyone know what the water conditions are? ( Current and debris ) or if there are any sandies hitting?

12. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    fished friday night from lake crest to rocky point. we caught a lot of fish but most were small. fish ranged from 1/2 to 4 lbs. the current was strong in the channel. we actually caught more keep fish on rod and reel than on jug lines. there was debree in the water. fished saturday night from lowwater dam all the way to the mouth of spring creek. we had 19 jugs out with 5 hooks each. we caught 7 fish. we also did a little snagging from the boat. i bumped 1 fish . Lonnie 84 stuck 2 fish 1 was down stream 250 yds from low water dam . the other one was about 300 yds above the 412 bridge. current flow was heavy saturday night. fished sunday evening for about 3 hours we put in at three finger bay and dropped our jugs 1/4 mile below mission bend train bridge. we caught 5 decent fish the biggest was 9 pounds. the smallest was 3 1/2 #. the current was slower on sunday in the river but it is still strong. there are tons of shad in the river. shad are thick at 33 boat docks. shad are thick inside three finger bay. shad are tougher to get down in the lake. most of them are back in the trees. the lake is falling about 1.5 ft every 24 hours. i think the falling water is hurting the bite. fishing here for 3 more days other reports from gibson will follow.

13. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    by the way someone asked about sand bass. they are schooling in wind blown coves chaseing shad. i have seen several large schools eating up on top.

14. lonnie84

lonnie84 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I fished with Rex this weekend on Gibson they were dropping the lake pretty quick, we caught some nice eater's but over all it was pretty slow.

15. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the reports fellas... we are having our GUYS ONLY weekend this memorial day out of Flat Rock Creek. Drove out there yesterday to check out the campground. The boat ramp just showed its face with the water level dropping so it looks like its going to be a good and fun weekend. Start setting jugs on Wed. Hope to see a few members out on the water... good luck.

16. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    franklin, i'll be out on the water wednesday. i have dropped jugs in the channel the last 2 days at earbob and drifted them down to the flats just below the south island at lakecrest. the fish are moving out of the trees and back into the river. i fished tuesday evening from 5 pm til 12.15 am we caught 13 fish . the biggest was 10 pounds the smallest was about a pound and a half. i have been fishing since last friday and i saw more fish tonight on the locator than i have seen for previous 4 days combined.

17. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    fished wednesday from 5 pm til 10 pm droped jugs between cat creek and rocky point and caught a bunch of small fish. finally pulled them out and moved them up the river . droped them in the channel at the mouth of big hollow and drifted them down to the flat at lake crest. the wind blowed out of the south and the current has slowed considerably. caught 7 keeper fish . they ranged from 3 to 6 lbs. there are tons of sand bass in the river now. fished a little on the dock for crappie with no bites. the water seems to be a little more murky today than it was over the weekend when water levels were higher. i think if we don't get another flood the catfishing will get much better toward the end of june. the good thing thats going on right now is drift fishing during daylight hours. if you just want to catch a mess of fish drift the flats with shad fillets. you will take home a livewell full of fish in the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 pound range. it looks to me as though the shad spawn is over with. i am not seeing any eggs in the shad that i have been catching in cat creek. i imagine most of the dropped eggs are somewhere high and dry .

18. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    corp. report for ft.gibson today says 3ft. above normal with a discharge of26,000 cfps