Headed down to the Trinity

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by mudcat dale, Jun 24, 2009.

1. mudcat dale

mudcat dale New Member

State:
    Texas
    It's hot as all get out, but I'm headed down to the Trinity tonight anyway. River's back low enough again that I can get to my good holes. If I don't sweat myself to death, get carried off by buffalo knats and mosquitoes, or snake bit I think I'll have a chance to catch some fish.

2. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    Goodluck man, be careful...

3. mudcat dale

mudcat dale New Member

State:
    Texas
    What a mess. I fish in a real remote area. There is no public access and the private land where I have permission is solid woods along the river. There are only a few places to get down the bank and they are pretty well hidden by green briar, poison ivy, yaupon, and various weeds.

I got down there early and carried most of my stuff down to the river (about 200 yds thru the woods). Picked me out a good land mark and headed back out to go catch some bait.

Here's where it gets crappy. Started back to down to the river with some good polly's after it got dark and then couldn't find my land mark. Round & round I go .... pretty danged easy to get twisted around in the dark in the thickets. So dang hot I had to give up and go back to the truck before I got sick. Never did find my way back to my place to go back down to the river.

30 mile round trip wasted. And, I still have to go back and get my gear tomorrow in the day light. You'd think I'd know better.

Oh well, guess I'll get them next time.

4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    That sucks Dale. A small, cheap, handheld gps would have solved all that mess. I never leave home without it. :wink:

5. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    Man that blows. Been there before.. all sweaty and nasty by the time I found the spot. I had to trail my own tracks in the dark to get there. Help to be a die hard bowhunter. lol

Anyway dont give up. Mark your trail in with tape and go back n hammer them next time.

6. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Sponds like the spot I fish on the Trinity.Alittle work getting there but its always worht it.

7. mudcat dale

mudcat dale New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yeah, it's a pretty good spot. I generally catch some nice blues there every summer. Like I said, really remote. I've only ever seen one boat and they got access on a place a couple of miles down and were fishing for gar to sell. There is no public place to put in a boat to the south and it's about 15 miles as the crow flies (probably 25 river miles) to the first public access north. Pretty much have it all to myself.

8. Shotgun Slim

Shotgun Slim New Member

State:
    Texas
    A litlle bit of refector tape goes a long way.

9. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Dale that sucks you never found your way, but I thank you for sharing your story, because now I know I need to pack some kind of marking material when ever humping through the woods.

10. kitty_lover

kitty_lover New Member

State:
    texas
    Dale there is nothing worse than getting lost..especially at night. I have always been told that fishing the trinity is no good because its polluted...is that true? I tried fishing at a bridge on hebron rd. near the area of the 35E/ 121 interchange this morning and the current was too fast for my abilities i guess. Water just pulled my lines to the bank. caught nothing but turtles and some poison ivy...sucks

11. mudcat dale

mudcat dale New Member

State:
    Texas
    I know there are some warnings about eating fish from different areas of the Trinity. It's supposedly ok where I fish but I'm way down stream from you. If you check the TPWD web site you can find out about any advisories. But, just because you can't eat them doesn't mean you can't have a ball catching them.

12. kitty_lover

kitty_lover New Member

State:
    texas
    thats for sure! i release most of what i catch anyways.

13. catgrlcali

catgrlcali New Member

State:
    haltom city,TX
    hey me and cat man fish ther ewit a boc bro everynow and then what part do u go to?

14. kitty_lover

kitty_lover New Member

State:
    texas
    i go to different parts...u can go with me anytime!