Headed back to Bartlet this weekend

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by AZflats, May 4, 2006.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I will be at Bartlett this Saturday night. Think I will be fishing with my wife and daughter. We will be out by the black bouyes across the lake from the marina later in the evening.
    * If anyone comes out, stop by and say howdy.

~ I'm on a misson for a big one! Last two visits to the area, I lost two cats that each ate 1lb carp.

** Pictures of the giant cat(s) will be posted to this thread. :0a23:

2. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Andy, good luck I've been having good action with 1 fish feeling very good size before it broke my 30 mono leader the rest have been under 10lbs. I going to the salt friday. I too want a big fish this year.

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Good luck on the salt!

4. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Andy, I fished that same area on Saturday. Took the little 12 foot boat and fished untill around 9PM. Boat is to small and really hurts the old back so we left early. I did not have any runs. Even the gills we caught were fairly small. No matter. I will be up there the weekend of the 20th with wifie on our big toon celebrating our anniversary. We are going Friday and comming back on Monday so I plan on trying that area again as well as the area around shiprock and yellow cliffs. Hope you had some luck.

5. AZCAT

AZCAT New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Guys. Im new to cat fishing out in Arizona and this website for that matter. Just a question for anyone who can help.. what size hooks are you guys using for bait fish (blue gill, Carp) and are you using metal leaders? Also for bartlet lake, how deep are you fishing? Any advise would help..
    thanks.

6. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    hey AZCAT, welcome to the BOC. as for the size hooks i think 7/0 and up would be just fine. Bartlett is a great lake for catfish. right know the catfish are moving around in the shallow water looking to span. for my leaders i just use the main line, 30lb mono.

7. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    Welcome to the BOC sorry I can't help with how deep the water is I have never fished that lake I would use nothing lest than 30lb test

8. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Welcome to a great site. As for your question I use anywhere from 5 to 7 sized hooks depending on the bait. I use steel 60lb leader. Depending on the time of year depends on depth. I usually try to find a flat near the channel which generally runs around 20-30 feet deep. This is a gereral overview and I usually just go with what my feelings are at that time. I have caught flats in as little as 6ft of water off of the shore and as deep as 40ft in the channel upper end of the lake. I havent explored the lower end as dilligently but am going to give it a serious try after seeing some of Azflats posts!!

9. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Yea,
    It is definently worth a shot.
    ~ I was out there last weekend. Actualy ran into Matt Cook and his dad Greg. Nice folks. We both covered a few spots in the same area. I think they boated a few smaller ones as did I. Even got a nice crappie and plenty of carp in the middle of the day. Had one nice fish boatside about 5am but popped off the hook before I could get a good look at him. Probably at least 20 lbs, but the more I think about it, the BIGGER IT GETS>>

* I will be back out next weekend, seaking my revenge... (once again.)

Take care~

10. AZCAT

AZCAT New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks for the help. I will for sure have to try out some spots on bartlett this weekend, i will let you know how i do. Hey i havent had a chance to drive down and see, but can you fish below the bartlett dam? If so do any of you guys have any luck? Thanks for all your help, this is a great website and i think i will be sticking around.
    -Adam and Dakota (dog)

11. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    You can fish below the dam. There was a lot of kill in there two years ago with the heavy rains and rise and fall of the river. When the water came down, there were dead fish everywhere, it was incredible. I don't know if it has recovered yet.

12. AZCAT

AZCAT New Member

State:
    Arizona
    no way.. i will stick to the lake, but if its slow i will check it out and let you guys know how it goes. I know bartlett is doing well for catfish and bass, i was there lastweekend and caught 6 nice small mouth in a few hours. How are the other lakes? anyone been up to pleasant?

13. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    You can fish below the dam but it can be a little trek from where you can park. Never fished there seriously as I didnt want to lug all my gear for that long of a distance. You can also fish below Horseshoe dam which feeds the river into Bartlett. The turn off to Horseshoe is on the way to Bartlett. It is a washboad dirt road. I havent fished that in some time but it used to be excellent for catfish and I have known people to catch some nice flatts just below the spill way in some of the deeper holes. I havent heard any recent reports on the fishing below Horseshoe dam but it may be worth taking a look at. Good Luck

14. asukevin

asukevin New Member

State:
    Tempe, AZ
    theres smallmouth in bartlett? didnt know that, i thought it was just largemouth. thats tight if there are

15. AZCAT

AZCAT New Member

State:
    Arizona
  16. AZCAT

AZCAT New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i will have to check out horseshoe dam, isnt horseshoe lake dry? If not it i will have to take a look at that as well. Thanks for all the help guys.