Head waters of L&D25

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Andy52, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    You know, I've been following Beckmans thread here talking about the pool #26 when really I'm talking about the head water of L&C 25 which I suppose is really pool #24 Clarksville. His first post was Pool 26 which would be Alton. So if all of you don't mind? I think I'll start a new thread for the head waters of L&D 25. Now it will be at least a week before I can get out again, but will let all of you know how I do then.

2. Pipe Rat

Pipe Rat Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Andy you are fishing pool #25 if you are putting in at Foley. The Pool is the same number as the Dam thats holding back the water.:big_smile:

3. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Yeah, I saw that after I had posted. your right it would be pool #25.
    Thanks

4. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    You know Piperat, I think I'm gettin"old and senile". After I read the post that I made, I said to myself "What were you thinkin' "are you just rambling on about the old days, Spit a little chew, and tell these's youngters how it was then. Oh God No! I think I've become my Father! Just kiddin' the years on the river seem to run together now.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  5. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Appreciate you starting this post Mark, pool 25 is an awesome pool. I’ve spent more hours on it than any of them, there’s less recreation boaters and the waters offer a good variety to enjoy.

6. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Thanks Mike and I couldn't agree with you more. Pool #25 has always been good to me, this year it has be exceptionally good. The fishing could be a little better this year because of all the flooding last year. Or it just could be that all the flooding last year kept me off the river almost all summer and I just missed it that much. As of Thursday the pool was at what I would call about 3/4 full. Within the next couple of weeks the Crops of Engineers will start slowly bringing the pool to full level for fall Duck season. From late August through mid October the Channel cat fishing will get VERY VERY good. Behond that the fishing is still good but.....the duck hunters takeover the Pool. Yah Know, they get very upset if you motor through their decoys before it's light enough to see them and they have guns, not rods. :crazy:

7. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Earl, it's only about a 4 or 5 hr drive from where your at to Winfield, Mo. Anytime you would be willing to make the drive, I'd be delighted to take you out fishin with me on Pool #25.

8. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Mike, I'd kinda like to get your input on something that I was reading in some of the local post. Pollution and toxicity levels? I'm no expert on such things, but I do know it's something we have to live with or die of. I think Pool 25 has 2 advantages over some of the other members in this area. #1 the Illionis River, #2 the Missouri River. Both these rivers enter the Mississippi River south of pool 25. Don't know how much that means other then it's that much less pollution. I think over the last 20 or 25 years there has been a improvement in the water quality in Pool 25. I will give this as an example. Over the last 4 or 5 years when fishing in the fall for Channels along the rock lines,I will catch a half dozen or so Smallmouth bass. The Smallmouth Bass is a fish that is very sensitive to water quality. Give me your thoughts on this if you would please.

9. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    I had the opportunity to talk with a biologist with the MDC down in the Cape area by the name of Reed a few years back… He referred to the warnings and toxins level that the MDC puts out as this… Catfish store up toxins and pollutants in their fat, the older fish of course have more toxins stored up than the younger… He said there is absolutely no danger at all if one trims all the fat off and that includes any belly meat :wink:… there’s a fat strip down the back, along the lateral line and the belly area… He loves catfish and gets them all from the Mississippi down there, he’s just careful to trim em up good so there is no danger… He said the MDC has to have their warnings as such because many don’t trim the fatty areas out and the warnings have to include the worst case scenario, like the whole fish and what one would find in older fish, this way all is covered for anyone consuming fish… Over all of the state, toxin levels in fish has declined to just a few areas where it is not recommended to eat fish from those waters, but again that is for folks eating the whole fish…
    I’ve noticed more smallmouths also and have even caught them on the Missouri, the waters up here are rich and fertile loaded with minnow size fish… the zebra mussels have been a double edge sword, cleaning up the water as well as raising havoc on water intake systems :eek:oooh:… I seen this pool only get better over the years and look forward each trip out what it’s fishery has to offer.

10. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO

Wow - Smallies on the Sippi pool 25. That is surprising for me to hear and I'm happy to hear it man. :wink: What kind of size do you normally catch? Thanks.

11. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Bill, they usually run from 6 to 12ins. I don't start catching them until mid September when the water temp drops to 65 to 68. This just started happening a few years back. I can tell you the first time I caught one, I was speechless! My fishin' buddy asked what I had caught, as I sat there looking at those redish orange eyes. My god, It's a Smallmouth. It seems each fall I've been catching more and I'm really not even targeting them. I'd be willing to say you could go for them with small crank or spinner baits or even suspended crayfish and get larger ones then I do. I'm just pleased to even catch any!

12. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Come to think of it Mark, most of the smallies I’ve caught or jumped in the boat were late in Sept… Biggest one I’ve had in the boat was when Rusty was here last Sept and we were catching some bait, he threw the cast net, as soon as it hit the water shad busted everywhere and a 3 ½ pound smallie jumped out of the water after them and landed in the boat :crazy:… we both commented that folks pay big dollars in pursuit of a trophy smallmouth like that one and we just had it jump in the boat :smile2:… tossed him back, that was the biggest I’ve seen from that pool… was pulling cranks along the riprap in the upper part of the pool during Sept and have caught several that way... Everywhere I've caught em there was broken currant and plenty of bait fish.

13. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Mike, I agree with the broken current part. Almost all the Smallies I catch or along the rip rap lines and at the leading and following points of same. If you can find an opening in the rip rap where the water is flowing through, they will hang right behind the flow. There's a rip rap line about 2 miles north of L&D 25 on the ILL. side of the river, right next to the National Wildlife refuge. There's a small chute that runs behind it, when the pool is full the water will top the rip rap. Allot of the Smallies I've caught are in those areas.

14. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    The Mrs. and I will be headed down to the river in just a few minutes. Will post how it went when we get back. Weather is calling for T-storms I hope they don't get here to early.
    Earl, I'll PM you when I get back.

15. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Stats, Water temp 80 degrees, air temp 67 at the house, low pressure front / calling for T-storms. It was pretty nasty looking when we got there at 5 AM but we lucked out, no storms. The bite started out slow but got better as the day went along. We were still catching fish at 1 pm when we left. Man, I hate to say this but the Mrs out fished me again today. she took 6 home and at least 3 of them were above 5lbs. I took home 5 and would have to get a fish stretcher to get biggest to go 4lbs. Now in my own defense, she used nightcrawlers all day and that seemed to be what they wanted. I, like a dummy, just stayed with the cut bait. We also caught allot of fish that went from 12 to 14ins that we released. The Pool is up just alittle from last week and is near full. The mud flat just out from the ramp has 2 to 3 feet of water over it, you'll be able to see that in the two pics I'll post. The pics are of the Mrs struggling to hold the fish high enough for me to get a shot. Now I'm out to fire up the grill to put some of these fish on. :big_smile:

16. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am loving these reports, Mark. You have convinced me that I need to get back up on the beautiful pool of yours before summers end. I always enjoy myself up there. Thanks!

17. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Way to go Mark, appreciate the report, it sounds like a great trip out there… Grilled catfish, life is good. :big_smile:

18. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Dan, we're coming up on the best time of year for Pool #25. Within the next 2 weeks the pool will be at full level. The current is much reduced and the water starts to clear up. In late summer and early fall the pool is gorgeous and......the fishing is great. Unlike spring and early summer when the flood gates at L&D 25 are open. Then the ramps are at times muddy messes and the current is ripping and can be a little treacherous for anyone unfamiliar with the pool.

19. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO
    Thanks for the report. I just got in from fishing Winfield and caught back to back 10lb channel cats on live gizzard shad. Also caught an 8lb blue and had many other slams that I didn't connect on.:big_smile:

20. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Fishin' buddy and myself will be headed out tomorrow at daybreak. I'll post after we get back. Gads, its been a whole week. I'll let you'll know how it goes.
    Big news flash about Pool #25. A week from Friday on 8/14/9. The one and only "Earl of Hackworth" will be out with me for a morning trip.