Head Scratchers

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catgirl, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Here's a few more riddles to tease our brains. Some of these may have been posted before, but the search feature isn't cooperating with me right now. I will post the answers in a day or two, after everyone who wants to participate has done so.

1. A drawer contains 10 brown socks and 10 black socks. In the dark, how many socks must you remove before you're guaranteed to have a pair of matching socks?

2. If a man and a half can catch a fish and a half in a day and a half, how many fish will six men catch in seven days?

3. A right-handed glove is turned inside out. The glove can now be worn on the left hand. Is the material that was touching the palm of the right hand now touching the palm of the left hand?

4. A man transports a fox, a duck and corn in a boat. The boat is only capable of transporting the man and one of the other three with each crossing. How did he succeed in crossing them all without letting the fox eat the duck or the duck eat the corn?

5. Take the letters ERGRO. Put three letters in front of this combination and the same three letters behind it to form a common English word.

6. What is black when you buy it, red when you use it and gray when you throw it away?

7. Would you rather a crocodile attack you or an alligator?

8. One brick is one kilogram and half a brick heavy. How heavy is one brick?

9. You are in a dark room with a candle, a wood stove and a gas lamp. If you only have one match, what do you light first?

10. A lily pad doubles in size each day. In 28 days, the lily pad will cover the entire pond. In how many days will the pond be half covered?

11. What is unusual about these words: assess, banana, dresser, grammar, potato, uneven and voodoo?

12. If it were two hours later, it would be half as long until midnight as it would be if it were an hour later. What time is it now?

13. What do you throw out when you want to use it but take in when you don't want to use it?

14. What is bought by the yard and worn by the foot?

15. Before Mount Everest was discovered, what was the highest mountain on earth?

16. A 29-inch x 29-inch square metal plate needs to be fixed by a carpenter onto a wooden board. The carpenter uses nails all along the edges of the square so that there are 30 nails on each side of the square. Each nail is at the same distance from the neighboring nails. How many nails does the carpenter use?

17. What is represented by this brain teaser? William March/William June/William September/William January

18. A doctor in Paris has a brother in Toronto who is a lawyer. The lawyer does not have a brother who is a doctor in Paris. How is this possible?

19. Two ducks in front of a duck, two ducks behind a duck, one duck in the middle. How many ducks?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was thinkin bout another kind of head scratchin :big_smile:like your pets ,those are good ,I'll see how many I can deduce

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tanya I'm eagerly waiting the answers. Those are rough scratches for a man with little hair.:smile2:

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    10?

Dont know

No the palm of the right is now on the outside

Dont know

Dont know

Coal

Neither LOL

Not sure a kilo?

The Match

27 Days

Dont know

10pm?

Not sure

Dont know

It would still be Mount Everest

Dont know

all are odd months???

Its a different Lawyer?

5???? unless the 2 ducks in front ducked in back then there would be 3???

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    1. A drawer contains 10 brown socks and 10 black socks. In the dark, how many socks must you remove before you're guaranteed to have a pair of matching socks?
    2. If a man and a half can catch a fish and a half in a day and a half, how many fish will six men catch in seven days?
    3. A right-handed glove is turned inside out. The glove can now be worn on the left hand. Is the material that was touching the palm of the right hand now touching the palm of the left hand?
    no
    4. A man transports a fox, a duck and corn in a boat. The boat is only capable of transporting the man and one of the other three with each crossing. How did he succeed in crossing them all without letting the fox eat the duck or the duck eat the corn?
    Took duck first, came back, took the corn over and returned with the duck. Then he took the fox, returned and then took the duck again.
    5. Take the letters ERGRO. Put three letters in front of this combination and the same three letters behind it to form a common English word.
    Not a clue
    6. What is black when you buy it, red when you use it and gray when you throw it away?
    Coal
    7. Would you rather a crocodile attack you or an alligator?
    Crocodile, cause there aint any around these parts
    Don't understand the question???
    9. You are in a dark room with a candle, a wood stove and a gas lamp. If you only have one match, what do you light first?
    Light the match, use it to light the gas light, use it to light the candle, use it to light the stove.
    10. A lily pad doubles in size each day. In 28 days, the lily pad will cover the entire pond. In how many days will the pond be half covered?
    11. What is unusual about these words: assess, banana, dresser, grammar, potato, uneven and voodoo?
    All have at least 2 letters alike X 2
    12. If it were two hours later, it would be half as long until midnight as it would be if it were an hour later. What time is it now?
    9pm
    13. What do you throw out when you want to use it but take in when you don't want to use it?
    Ooooh, hmmm, ok, how about an anchor?
    14. What is bought by the yard and worn by the foot?
    I was 10 years old, the first time I ever saw a rug so big, it covered the whole room. They called it "carpet', or somethin like that.
    15. Before Mount Everest was discovered, what was the highest mountain on earth?
    Still would have been Everest, duh! However, lets not forget Mauna Kea is the "tallest" mountain.
    16. A 29-inch x 29-inch square metal plate needs to be fixed by a carpenter onto a wooden board. The carpenter uses nails all along the edges of the square so that there are 30 nails on each side of the square. Each nail is at the same distance from the neighboring nails. How many nails does the carpenter use?
    116?
    17. What is represented by this brain teaser? William March/William June/William September/William January
    Somebody likes the name William? Heck, I don't know.
    18. A doctor in Paris has a brother in Toronto who is a lawyer. The lawyer does not have a brother who is a doctor in Paris. How is this possible?
    Too easy, my Dr is also a woman.
    19. Two ducks in front of a duck, two ducks behind a duck, one duck in the middle. How many ducks?

6. catfeveriowa

catfeveriowa New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs Iowa
    1. 3 3. No 5. UND 6. Coal 7. Neither 10. 27 11. If u take the first letter & place it at the end of the word & read it backwards it is the same word. 14. Carpet 16. 116 18.The doctor is his sister.

7. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    catgirl this above my head.... if it wern't for my wife and spellcheck people would think I was CHINESE,,,,,sad but true.LOL :crazy:,:confused2:,:cool2:,:smile2:

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Now, dog gone it Tanya. I got home from a long day at work, tired as could be an ready for bed. Then I read this here thread of yours an now here it is after 5 am an I am wide awake. That darn question about highest mountain got me thinking. I know the LOWEST dry ground in the US is Death Valley at 282 ft below sea level. What has me up is trying to remember the lowest dry ground in the world. For some reason, way back in that forgetful mind of mine, it seems like it was in Australia. I have no idea why it seems that it is there, it just does. Does anyone out there know where it is? Please! I need sleep an it will never happen till I find the answer.

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Never mind, as son as I posted above, I found my answer. (along the shore of the Dead Sea, Israel, 1383 or so feet below sea level)

Finally, now I can get to bed, good night all.

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Enough ducks for a good duck dinner. 3
    who said 5?

OK Missy, now my brain is awake what am I supposed to do for the rest of the day. I spent the last two days spooling it down for the weekend...W

11. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

3 (Get your ducks in a row.....first duck, second duck, third duck.)

But hey, if the first two and the last two ducks were holding wings and walking side by side, five would be right AND..... enough of a duck dinner to share with friends! Thanks for being mine :cool2:.)

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri

Two kilograms (I still need this one explained to me :confused2:.)

One kilogram(the weight of half a brick)+the weight of half a brick(one kilogram)=the weight of one brick=2 kilograms.

Cool brain teasers. Sorry I didn't render any guesses. Been having difficulty navigating the site lately, so there's alot I've missed, and alot I haven't responded to for fear of being knocked off.