He or She?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by shadguts, Nov 30, 2007.

1. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How can you tell a male from a female bluecat?

2. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    If they are yell'n at ya when you pull them out of the water they could be a female.:smile2:

3. turfman

turfman New Member

State:
    SC
    --------AMEN--------

4. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I copied this from a site i found.

how to tell the difference between male bluecat and female bluecat and it's easy to tell. Some look at these characteristics as a different species calling them Mississippi Whites and there is no such thing. When trying to identify the differences in male and females they have very distinct differences and I'll show you how to tell the difference between the two. I've taken enough of these fish apart to know the difference at a glance as to whether they're male or female so I'll try to describe the differences to you.
    First off the males once they get up to about ten pounds will have a distinct humped back or shoulders is what some people call them and they also have a rounded head or more muscular head than the females. The Female Bluecat is more of a streamlined fish with straight gill plates and not muscular looking at all. It doesn't matter how big a female gets either. They'll never get the humps on their backs between the dorsal fin and the head on both sides like the males have. Here is a classic looking male bluecat with the bulges in front of the dorsal on both sides.

5. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Turn the fish over and its wrote on the bottom.

6. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    If you catch 'em on jerky or pork rinds they are probably male.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    thats true they have one hole or two

8. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats what I was told.....females have 2 holes, down under and males have 1.:eek:oooh:

9. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    For you guys using the one or two hole theory I'm betting all you catch is females. Seeing how all catfish have two holes. :roll_eyes:

10. br7874884

br7874884 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    maybe i dont know what i'm talking about here, but i feel we should all catch and release. i think doodling or looking at the holes the fish has might be going a little far.

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    :angry:bs and you know it when you clean fish to eat some fish have one or two the ones that have all the eggs are female.i got guppies in my tank with di(#s is that :roll_eyes: bs too!

12. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Why wouldnt you just ask them...

13. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Hey slick why don't you do a little research on a topic before you go giving people false information. Catfish are not the same as guppies by no means when it comes to sexing them. Do a search on commercial catfish farming and you might just find the answer to the question. Both males and females have two holes. The hole towards the head is the anus. The hole towards the tail is the genitalia. The males may be raised very slightly and rounded. While the females will be flat and oval. Also holding the fish on it's back and arching the belly up take a small probe and run across the second hole. If it catches the fish is a female. The second hole on a female is split into two sections. One for eggs and one for bodily functions.

14. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    If they are holding a remote control and/or a beer then its a male!:big_smile:

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    alright slick will look at every catfish he catches next year sence he doesent feel like searching the web. sorry about post i was peed off that night and a little tipsy:embarassed: i still think ive seen what ive seen:tounge_out: but will research

16. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I beleive that Dylans reason is right. Although it may not be the only one that is right.. I know that male channels have large humps or muscles on top of there head. I do catch and release. The males guard the eggs and fry during the spawn and it is important to put them back in the same place they were caught from to help insure a few more cats make it.

17. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE

Nice work Dylan!!. I could never tell the difference between the two except when I decided to harvest one are there are eggs present.

J

18. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    There is no way to tell a male from a female.

There are some good "guesstimations", but no accurate way.

19. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    It don't matter if it's male or female if it's eatin size I'm gonna fillet it and deep fry it. I never noticed a taste difference?