HB vs Lowrance Screen Shots

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by Scott C., Jan 21, 2010.

1. Scott C.

Scott C. Member

State:
    NKY
  2. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thank-you for the link. Looks like I made the right choice on the Lowrance Structurescan.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    A couple of things to consider.....
    I have been following some debates about these pictures on a couple of sonar forums.
    Those comparisons are of a Lowrance system that has been fine tuned for a while and an HB update to SI that was brand new out of the box. I would bet $$ to donuts that HB will be fine tuning theirs as they have been doing with SI.
    Also, the Lowrance system will set you back about $600 to add it to your unit. The HB dwnload is free of charge.

...W

4. metalman

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Having said that i'm sure Lowrance will be trying to improve theirs even more......It can only be good for us guys which ever one we choose to use...W

5. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Surely that was meant to promote Lowrance,but looks to me that the H' Bird wasn't fine- tuned.My 797 gives better detail than that.

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yeah something isn't right with that picture, and this is coming from a die hard Lowrance man until recently. The SI I see on the 997 on my boat looks a whole lot better than that shot. I was wondering who posted those pictures before I even read any responses, you have to remember, alot of those Bass and Crappie forums have members that are sponsored by, and even work for Lowrance, and HB alike. No doubt though, the only ones who are truly going to benefit from this competition are the angler's.

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    You can also tell there is alot of electrical interference on that HB shot, like metal man said, somebody did some nice tuning on that Lowrance...LMAO

8. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i sent mine in a while back and it came back great now with the down scan it iscompleletly awsome .

9. Graham

Graham New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    There is something seriously wrong with both of those pictures... There's no fish!!!!!:silly:

10. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I agree that my 797 does a better job than he got out of the 1197. Seems like something is a little off in that comparison. The other thing I didn't see is the comparison between the two side scans..... That's right Lowrance only looks under the boat.

I will concede that Lowrance has been working on the DI for quite some time and they got it pretty good and Humminbird is playing catchup on DI. But the whole selling point on the technology was to see out both sides instead of just what is underneath the boat. Lowrance wants to claim how great the DI is, but I would bet dollars to pesos that as soon as Humminbird's patent expires on the SI Lowrance will be all over it.

11. metalman

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    A few months after I got my 997c SI, we were out on the river and there were no fish to be found in any the usual places. I said to my wife that I couldn't understand it and she said:

"I thought that was why you got that fancy new gadget.....to tell you where the fish are"

I said (somewhat sarcastically):
    "Well it wont show fish that aren't there and there isn't some window that pops up on the screen that says to go across the river and fish behind the second rock from the left because some fish have been detected"

To which she answered:
    "Well then, what the hell use is it!?"

She does have a point...W

12. Scott C.

Scott C. Member

State:
    NKY

I'm not sure I follow you there - I've seen plenty of pics of Lowrance's side scan?

I agree I haven't read the entire thread nor know the bias behind it. Either unit is a serious step up from traditional 2D. I will say this though, when looking at screen shots advertised by each company in fishing mags it's pretty easy to see which is the better image.

And I agree, I like trees as much as the next guy but a pic of a fish would be a lot cooler.

13. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    I thought that was a pretty interesting discussion. I also had to laugh after the birds prostaffer was called out as such, he never made another post about how great of a unit the hb was. I dont have either unit YET but will have one of them in the near future. I used to have a older bird and now run a colored lowrance. does the new bird SI units lose bottem when on plane when like their older models seem to? I used to HATE that and that is one reason I switched. I can be running 35 mph with my lowrance and still be able to see depth.

14. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    From what I have seen so far I like the Lowrance pictures better, but they are a LOT more expensive. You can get a HB 797 for $700-800 less than a HDS 7 with structure scan. I think those are the most comparable models. I am just not sure I like the Lowrance that much better. I did read that if you have two finders you can use one structure scan for both on the Lowrance, so if you are looking to run multiple fish finders that might be your best choice.

15. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I doubt the original poster that made these comparison shots took the time to fine tune the HB. May have even intentionally decreased the sensitivity or other settings on the HB to make the Lowrance look better. I feel he may have had something to gain or at least a bias. This other thread started right when the software was released for the HB. How much of a fair shake could he have given the HB unit?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  16. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Once I get over 40mph I lose everything with the 997, that could very well be just the transducer location though. I have to play with it some and see if it fixes it..

17. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    It's two different technologies, Lowrance uses actual sonar waves to interpret the DI image. HB uses the left and right SI image together to interpret the DI image. DI for Lowrance is hardware based and HB is software based. There's a lot of good info in that thread. Def worth the read.

18. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    ????? They are both using sonar waves at tbe same frequencies so why is Lowrance hardware based and HB software based? The HB si cone goes to the sides and to the bottom. Both manufacturers systems still have to process the raw data onto the display.

19. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    Like they said in the thread...Lowrance uses their new transducer that dedicates extra sensors and wattage to create the DI image. HB does not, "Humminbird uses both SI crystals to build the images. Not a single beam". HB doesn't have a transducer capable of creating a DI beam. Lowrance does and uses its "hardware" to do so. Until HB comes out with a new transducer they will continue to create their DI image by using the left and right SI beams and having the units software interpret the image on the display. Thats why a HB "software" upgrade gave us DI. Simple enough? lol

20. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i lost the bottom when i first got my unit then a friend told me to try raising the tranducer and now i get bottom at any speed.