Hayden Ponds

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by HugeEuge57, Aug 3, 2009.

1. HugeEuge57

HugeEuge57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Fished the ponds off of Hayden in South Scottsdale. Ended up with a small channel catfish and an 8 pound carp...all on corn and on 6 pound test.

2. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    It's a blast catching fish that size on light line/tackle...I have a little pond that I fish that produces lots of little bluegill...I catch 'em on an ultra light rod spooled with 2lb test...biggest I've caught so far is a 4lb carp with that set up...

3. HugeEuge57

HugeEuge57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    It felt like I was fighting a freight train with all of the running it did. It took about 25 yards of line twice before I finally tired him out.

So much fun.

4. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    I enjoy fishing those ponds when the weather is cooler. I couldnt believe how many different species those ponds produce. I like to fish the last pond on mckellips. I caught bass,carp,blue gills, crappie(very nice size), channel & even a small flatty under 1 pound.

5. jaytee

jaytee New Member

State:
    arizona
    are these ponds part of the urban program?

6. HugeEuge57

HugeEuge57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    so far i've only caught channels, carp, bluegill and bass. this time of year though its pretty hard to catch anything but carp...and those ponds have some big ones.....i was fishing the one furtherst south.

jaytee you need a state license, they are not urban ponds

7. jaytee

jaytee New Member

State:
    arizona
    So are these ponds at the intersection of Scottsdale and Hayden roads. I would like to visit this spot but am not familiar with the area. Thanks

8. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    scottsdale rd & Hayden Rd are parallel so they wouldn't intersect...not sure where the hayden ponds are though...

9. jaytee

jaytee New Member

State:
    arizona
    OK I found the ponds on google maps! El Dorado,Vista and Mckellips park are what I found. It seems the ponds are conected by a small channel. I also noticed on the north side of El dorado there is a larger pond that is isolated. Does any know if these parks allow night fishing. Also it was mentioned the pond closet to Mckellips produces, any other thoughts. Thanks!

10. HugeEuge57

HugeEuge57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I'm pretty sure they all have the same fish in them...the southern most pond is where the channel ends so I'm assuming if anything that would be the best bet.

But, I'm not sure about the night fishing deal. It's directly behind an apartment complex so as long as you aren't loud I can't see it being an issue.

11. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    I stayed at vista till 2:30 a.m a couple times with no problems with cops riding by on there bikes or driving by. the signs say the park closes at ten though.

12. ccjfamily

ccjfamily Member

State:
    Arizona
    Me and my brothers used to fish these ponds since we were about 10. They used to produce many more fish then they do now. The one up by they boys and girls club produced nice cats all the time, the biggest ones caught were from the cage (if its still there) We would stick our poles through the bars and toss as far as we could back into the pipes and pull out some monsters. Only hard part was getting through the bars in the cage.

All the ponds in this system including the one down by McKellips were excellent bass fisheries. Golden algae took over all the ponds one year and after that they were never the same.........hope it has recovered now, but it had not before I left for Virginia.

13. AZOutlaw

AZOutlaw New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Went to the pond on McKellips and Hayden and Got skunked on cats but I did catch 2 ~14" bass. It was not a total loss. We were there about 2.5 hours.

14. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    I went out there myself last week. I found some really nice size gills in the stream between the ponds by the softball fields. didnt have luck on any other fish. have you been to T.T.L lately?

15. arizhunter

arizhunter New Member

State:
    Goodyear, Az
    I have a man made lake 1/2 mile from house. I take grand kids sometimes they catch carp 5to 10llbs and small channels on hot dogs we have a blast.Its a catch and release only lake :big_smile: that part I got to get a lighter line that sounds like fun

16. AZOutlaw

AZOutlaw New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Have not been to TTL in a few weeks. I need to get out there again. It is only 2 min from work and 15 from the house.

17. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    I got to get out there myself. Almost all bank access east of rural is gated off. Even under the 202 . Alot of unfished water out there. I'm gonna try to get the sardine can out there sometime this week.

18. AZOutlaw

AZOutlaw New Member

State:
    Arizona
    IF you need some help with the sardine can, let me know.

19. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Where do ya go for the permit for the boat at TTL?

20. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    Man I could have used your help this evening. I had plans on going but my buddy ted cancelled on me today. PM me your # and maybe we can get together this week or weekend