hawks gotta love em

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FS Driver, Oct 3, 2005.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    in the old forum i started a thread about wild animals encountered and
    hawks were mentioned with a post i made about working one day and
    had went out to my van to get a tool or part and i heard the wild flapping of wings and felt and heard a swoosh of air narrowly missing my head it seemed
    as i ducked and looked back i seen the neatest sight i think ive ever seen with wildlife as a pigeon was fleeing for its life with a hawk on its tail(following close)

across the street in an empty lot the chase ended in a poof of pigeon feathers as the hawk nailed it and commensed to standing on the pigeon and like stepping on it for a while then carrying it off in its talons off in the sky .
    later i read that they kill their prey with their talons by waht it was doing steping or sinking its sharp pointed talons into the pigeon.

that was a spectacular sight for me and i have been in awe over them since.

now today i went to the store i always go to for parts and low and behold the cashier was outside and as i got out of my truck she asked me if i had a fishing net with me?

she tols me there was a great big bird in there and she wasn't going back in LOL.

well sure enough i go in and there were a couple guys i know trying to get a
    towel over it to capture and remove it .
    i helped and as we got it tired down enough i raised a leaf rake up to divert his flight as he was going from one side to the other and perching up on the top shelfs near the ceiling .
    to everyones surprise it landed on a key rack that holds key blanks that was right above my head and i got to grab its legs and it was surpriseingly
    cooperative LOL you can see the look of uncertainty on my face as i held it up its beak looked pretty sharp and i had the uneasy feeling it might like to take a plug out of me LOL.
    isnt this a beutiful creature? i wish i could have gotten a better side veiw of it as its pattern was neat looking.

a fella in the store that was there getting parts too ran out and grabbed his camera also and took another picture (standard film type) he will bring a copy in when he gets them developed.
    he said my luck will change now gee i only hope so. hahaha

cant say i ever thought id catch a hawk before even a tired one.
    its something i wont forget for a while.

it was released unharmed and the poor little pigeon was caught later hideing in the store and was set free too lol i bet he wasnt as happy to be released with the hawk still at large !!!!!!!!!!!

my buddy bob is with me in the last pic he said hey i helped tooooo i want in the picture LMBO he said damn im glad that s over i was getting tired

heeheehee they were chaseing it for about a 1/2 an hour before i showed up.

2. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Man Ive got a whole bunch here you can come and catch all you want I would like to catch them with my 30-06 but I know its illigal.

3. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    That is cool. :thumbsup:
    Not many can say they caught a hawk with their hands. You got your eye on him. Glad he didn't go for the eyes.
    I like watching Hawks. See one now and then catch a squirrel. One got my neighbors baby cat one time. LOL. I shouldn't laugh but it was walking across the yard and the Hawk swoop down and took the cat. She had let it out of house to do its thing. I wouldn't kill a Hawk.
    We have eagles on the lake I fish. Many times I've sit on the bank watching em. Now and then one will grab a fish out of the water. Red tail hawks and eagles are cool birds. Neither has ever been a problem that I know of. Except for the one DRC caught breaking into the hardware store. LOL

4. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I Love to watch the Eagles on the Mississippi in the winter. It's so cool to watch them sit on the ice, go up about 50ft in the air, and swoop down and get a fish.

Ray

5. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    heres a pic of the little pigeon that was hideing in the store till around 5 30 pm
    the store owner dennis said he flew in there with the hawk giveing chase and the pigion flew strait for a stuffed owl and hid behind it lol
    now that is real funny to me.
    it was like help help save me save me mr owl.

hehehehe

6. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Thats a pretty bird itself I dont blame him at all I would have ran for the owl as well. Those dog gone hawks are no joke.

7. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    That is cool man I bet you had a good eye on that brid......LOL

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Cool story-thanks for posting.I had an owl in my basement once.Scared the heck outta me.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i seen one hit a bird here a while back. i was out in my yard and heard this god aweful screech of pain. i look up and seen the bird falling and he caught himself and flew off. the hawk circled a bit and flew away too.

10. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Great story DRC. I haven't had much expierience with hawks, but I used to love watching the bald eagles in Alaska, beatiful birds, but deadly. They had one probably7-10 years agao no wswoop down and take a chihuahua off a leash from a tourist. Might have been mena but I always thought it was funny.
    Brian

11. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    i was over at my friends house on day and we were sitting in his front yard just hangin out and all of a sudden a hawk came down and picked up a rabbit in his neighbors yard and took off. it was cool watching it fly into the sun with a rabbit.

12. poppie

poppie New Member

DRC you should feel proud! The hawk you are holding appears to be an immature Goshawk very fast and real bad news on birds. There are only 2 Hawks that make a point of catching pigeons, the goshawk and a coopers which is a small version of a goshawk hawk but completly nuts! Seriously, I had one that would get so excited it would throw a fit when I entered the mews (hawk house) to get her. If it moved she was after it! She only weighed 22 ozs. but every dog or cat in the area would head for cover when they heard her bells (bells are placed on their legs so you can find the hawk while hunting). She seamed to get a perverted pleasure from rolling cats head over heels!

I flew an adult goshawk for several years until I lost her in a tail chase with a pheasent. Had the hawk you caught been an adult (haggard) it would have been a blue black slate color on it's back and head with a pale gray, almost white breast with dark tear drops all over the breast in a barred pattern. The wildest thing would have been the white eyebrows over the blood red eyes! I think they are the most beautiful hawk we have.

A ticked off hawk on a bare fist will put most anyone on their knees quicker than a kick in the groin! Even worse is the fact they continue to loosen then tighten their grip with unbelievable pressure until you die, or stop moving and it calms down! When you hunt with a hawk you can often release the prey before the hawk kills it if not you can litteraly hear bones crushing from the pressure of their grip!

To those that feel hawks kill to many game animals.......WRONG THINKING TURKEY! 1. You won't find hawks or an preditors in an area that doesn't have a lot of food. 2. Unlike we self proclaimed "sportsmen" of which I'm one Hawks only kill to eat not for pleasure. 3. The common HOUSE CAT kills more game then hawks do! 4. SPARE THE HAWKS AND SHOOT A CAT!

That should get me on the most wanted list but it is a fact!!! Later Poppie

13. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Poppie,

I'm glad to see you crossed over, finally!!! It's good to see ya.

Mike

14. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Poppie are you saying that they dont kill baby turkey to eat?

15. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    poppie glad you are finally posting again!

the location that this hawk is from has PLENTY of pigeons ,
    rats ,& mice.

they are neat to watch . i have a roll of film i need to use up that has some pictures of a alot bigger hawk i seen out side of the city limits in cornfield areas
    he had close to a 3 1/2 ft. wing span.

yeah if you notice i grabbed a pair of gloves out of the back before i joined in on the operation.LOL

i read about their talons used to pierce their prey and wasnt wanting my hands used as a pin cusion if i came in contact with them .

16. poppie

poppie New Member

SSG I DIDN'T SAY THAT! What I said was CATS (your home grown...friendly? puddy cats) KILL MORE GAME PER ANNIUM THEN ALL PREDITORS COMBINED!

Most preditors (including man) are opportunists they prey on the weak and injured critters which would also imply the young and dumb! But they eat what they kill. Hawks may make as many attempts as 20 attempts for every kill. If you or I ,as hunters, needed 20 shots at a deer to make a kill we have no business being in the woods! Preditors kill to eat, they don't TROPHY HUNT, they kill quickly and effeciently they don't play with it until it dies and then leave in behind like a cat does.

Mother Nature is not a real friendly lady! We humans are usually unaware of the struggles to survive going on every day in our own back yards! That's because we are number 1, the top of the food chain . . . BUT every so often Mother Nature teaches us a lesson like just happened in the South and we wake up (for a few minutes) to the fact that we ain't as strong or as smart as we think we are! It's a nasty struggle for life that wildlife lives with on a daily basis. The only difference is the animals learn by their close encounters, near misses, and narrow escapes we humans rebuild in the same place and wait for the next storm!
    Later, Poppie