Hawg seeker w/ bite alert?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by scally6, Jun 19, 2009.

1. scally6

scally6 New Member

State:
    Al
    Does any one have one of these or used one? They look kind of sweet. Looking to get a new pole and saw these at walmart, just wondering how the rod and reel perform.
    Here is the link on the zebco site:

http://www.zebco.com/products/SP_hawgseeker.html

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Adam welcome to the BOC ...I bought my son one of those and for the price it is a GREAT rod and reel !!!!!! That boy has caught a ton of channel's and striper's on that set with out ANY problem's.

3. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    MY BROTHER IN LAW HAS ONE AND I'M NOT IMPRESSED WITH IT 2 DAYS OF FISHING AND I WAS REPAIRING IT FOR HIM.I WOULD GO WITH A 888 WITH A GOOD BELL ON IT BEFORE I USED ONE OF THOSE.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I purchased 2 of them a couple of months ago with the spinning reel. I like mine. They cast and retrieve smooth. I actually got to battle a BEAST flathead this past weekend. 40# at the very least. Reel and drag worked smoothly. Got the fish to the boat finally after a few long runs, then my leader gave out. :angry: I know there are better combos. I've heard that some folks have had trouble with theirs. Mine have worked fine, and I've caught several fish up to 10# and they worked great so far. Also...I got mine at BP. I don't know if there is a difference or not. I think sometimes Wally World gets the rejects, lol.

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Matt your right about wally world lol I bought mine to at BP also and have no complaint's about the pole or reel

6. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    bought 2 for my wife, they were closed bells... and they get tangled up when u go to cast them. and u can pull the line out 60 yards or so, then cast, and it stops after 60 yards, called the bait shop where they were bought at, and he said bring it back for a new one, he has had problems with them also, and problems with the face stripping out when putting it back together, im going to try and sell hers and get some new ones...

7. Kat Head

Kat Head New Member

State:
    Erie, Pennsylvania
    I use an 8' Ugly Stick medium heavy with a Garcia 6501 baitcaster (with bait clicker) and have had zero problems with both. Smooth cast and smooth retrieve. Drag works perfect, and rod has great action for 5 to 50 pounders.

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Ive been eying those for the last few months at walmart...I have been hesitant because they look like flashy gear that doesnt live up to its advertisement. Im glad to see that some are having good luck with them though.

9. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    grab one up!! i got one at bass pro and never had a problem! i've caught 10-15lbers. pretty regular. also got my personal best 51.9lb. flathead on it. second season using it and it has been maintnance free so far! i love my hawg seeker! dont have to spend big money to catch big fish. thats my story and i'm sticking to it! shane

10. big riggin' younggun

big riggin' younggun New Member

State:
    Illinois
    youd be better off with the bill dance river combos only like $70 apeice

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I purchased 2 of them last year I gave one to one of my boys . For the money they are ok . I got the ones with the casting reels and are ok for channels . The rods are pretty good . Like I said for the money they are fine . If you was closer to me you could have mine I only used it once and probably wont use it again .

12. farbeyonddriven

farbeyonddriven New Member

State:
    Indiana
    IMO, the rods look nice, the reels are kinda gimmicky, you could get a more durable combo without the bells and whistles.

13. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I have 2 and love them,quess i got the 2 good ones..lol

14. scally6

scally6 New Member

State:
    Al
    Thanks for all the replies and thanks for the welcome catpaw. Seems kinda hit or miss, like most zebco stuff either bombproof or crap. They seem a little better made than the 808 combo that I "got for my wife" and I've never had a problem with that one. Think I might have to get one, I have a hard time resisting flashing lights and shiny objects.

15. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I bought 2 closed faced spincast reels at Gander Mountain without the rods. I matched them with Ugly Stik Catfish rods. I love them. I changed the line out on the reels to Stren 20 lb and they cast better. It depends on how you use them. I fish for channels from the bank in a lake, in Michigan, where a 20 pounder would be a dream fish. They handle 5 pounders just as smooth as silk. I have never had any problems, other than when I was setting them up. It took some experimentation to get the alarm sensitivity correct, and I have to use the rod holders that point the rod toward the water (I use the Eagle Claw ones), not the up and down spiral kind. If I am watching the rods I don't use the alarm, but sometimes I have 2 rods out for channel cats while the bite is slow, fishing down the bank for bait, or for a mess of panfish, and with a circle hook the catfish hooks himself with the alarm alerting me to the bite. If you look around you will find threads where people just dislike anything made by Zebco. If I were fishing for 40+ pounder Blues down South someplace, I might agree, but so far so good for what I do with them. It sounds like I got 2 of the good ones as well. Good luck to you.

16. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    I bought my ex wife a spin cast model when we was still married, i really didnt like it, in the end i got stuck with it... so i took the reel off and put a abu 6600bcx on it and now its a nice combo.

Con: the button or bail has to be closed for the bite alert to function, so make sure to tape your line on and not tie it onto the spool.

Pro: the bite alert does great when working properly and will wake you up...

17. WhoJosh

WhoJosh New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    last year me and my brother got the hawgseeker combo for my dad on his birthday. the reel and rod both perform well. my dad doesnt get to fish much because of work, but we went fathers day night and he caught an 8lb flathead and got him in with no problem on the hawgseeker. oh, and the bite alert works great.

18. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    lol i love this pole. I bought this pole last year after losing one rod in the river and needed a new one quick. threw some 80 pound spiderwire on it and drug in my pb 41 pound flattie. not the best pole but will definitly get the job done but make sure you get the spinning reel. oh and the bite alert will break after a little while so buy some bells

19. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Wife bought me one for my birthday we took it back. I looked at one a few months ago at walfart and the screw that holds the crank on was stripped. The one my wife bought me had the same problem too.

20. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My buddy has one and he kicks the crap out of channel catfish and gar with it. He hasn't even respooled the line. But man, that bait alarm is annoying. He usually holds his poles up with his chairs, so the bait alarm renders itself useless because the pole usually moves or slides when the rod loads up.

... Tried my hardest to have him get the 7" Glowstik combo for the same price! :angry: